Duck Hunting Forum banner

good baits for monster catfish?

14K views 52 replies 47 participants last post by  OhioCatter 
#1 ·
theres a retention pond by my house thats been around for a long time. someone told me that a friend of his caught a 54 lb catfish out of it. I want to do the same. what would be some good bait choices?

#3 ·
We catch lots of 20-40 pound cats on the rivers up here using Bluegill. A nice 4-5 inch one is prime size. I also have friends who say big bluegills catch big Cats. They only use 7" and up. Which is a decent size bluegill. They may not get as many strikes as the guys using the smaller sized baits but when they do hold on cause its usually a big fish.

#7 ·
cinnamonteal7 said:
get i nice sized bulld head clip his stingers and split his tail in the middle with a knife till you draw blood then hold on :beer:
illinoisduckboy15 said:
since its a small pond i would use both bluegills and CHICKEN LIVERS. all i use up here and they work awesome
duckman27 said:
Live bream
gooserslan said:
We catch lots of 20-40 pound cats on the rivers up here using Bluegill. A nice 4-5 inch one is prime size. I also have friends who say big bluegills catch big Cats. They only use 7" and up. Which is a decent size bluegill. They may not get as many strikes as the guys using the smaller sized baits but when they do hold on cause its usually a big fish.
......Sure is refreshing to see you fellas' suggesting live bait :yes:...... :thumbsup: Personally, I can't bring myself to eat anything that hits on that smelly crappy stink bait :biggrin:

#8 ·
I just haven't had any luck with that stinky stuff. Bream, whether they're live or cut bait have always caught more fish for me than any stink bait.

#18 ·
Small carp and bluegills for us. We have great luck on goldfish and they are hardy. I lost a monster tonight as did my uncle with the river on the rise using nightcrawlers. I've caught more big fish on worms than anything else. Heck in one night we caught a 43, 42, 38,23, and a 10lber and I lost one that was in the 30s. Quit at 6 am when the storms rolled in.

#19 ·
damned man that 2nd pick almost makes your big ass look small, LOL!!! We use bluegills/green sunfish for flatheads, and then either crappie/shad guts or shad sides for channel cats.

#22 ·
I hear that those crazy fishermen in California ,fishing the Sacramento river, use ..................

Hot dogs !!

Beleive it or not...............the catfish in Lake Mead are so big they scare the heck out of skin divers that go down and check out the dam every now and then. Thats got to be BIG !!

Maybe a whole chicken ??

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.