good baits for monster catfish?

Fresh and salt water fishing

Moderators: Dogman, MossyGO!, Kiskadinna, WSUWESTON, Montanafowler

Re: good baits for monster catfish?

Postby justinduckman7 » Thu Jan 13, 2011 3:01 pm

i use gold fish and cut shads. on my bank poles i use blue gill bull heads and cut carp works good here in the rock river.
(IF IT FLIES IT DIES AND IF IT SITS THEIR IT STILL DIES ) Let's go shoot their faces off
justinduckman7
hunter

Postby Sean » Fri Mar 18, 2011 11:20 pm

We use med to large blue gill and usually catch some good ones.

both hit the scale at 45 pounds, them were some fun times
Attachments
cats.jpg
Sean
hunter

Postby dablaw » Fri Mar 18, 2011 11:48 pm

I bait trot lines with Ivory soap...You have to do this when the water is still cool or the soap gets a little soft...I made a wooden box and strung piano wire in both directions so when I push a whole bar of ivory soap through it I get perfect 1" squares of soap 1/2" thick...You can throw your BS flags if you want but I'm telling you it works..Had an friends grandad show me this when I was a kid many many moons ago...Just thought I would share before I'm dead and gone and this was something that never got passed down...I have told several people about it and ALL have had sucess...Just thought I'd share..
I'm an old fart , but young at heart...Been there,done that, wrote the freakin book...When i die I hope it's at sunrise, with a gun in my hand, and the sound of wings overhead...
dablaw
hunter

Postby justinduckman7 » Sat Mar 19, 2011 7:45 am

i have heard of that but never tried it. Well now ill have to try it
(IF IT FLIES IT DIES AND IF IT SITS THEIR IT STILL DIES ) Let's go shoot their faces off
justinduckman7
hunter

Postby duckschooler » Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:53 am

Big ball of chicken livers, bullheads or some small sunfish.
#flock'em
duckschooler
hunter

Postby fowlhabit4 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 12:08 am

#1 choice, fresh shad, 2 blue gill, 3 skip jack, 4 chubs, 5 livers
fowlhabit4
hunter

Postby TomKat » Tue Apr 05, 2011 5:08 am

Johnnytheboy wrote:Fished for catfish in the ebro in spain, we used halibut pellets, they are a fishmeal pellet but they are huge, we used about 25kg per day as we scattered allot about to draw the fish in, we caught 5.5 metric ton of fish in one week with catfish upto 150lb

Thats one hell of a fish!
TomKat
Dorothy

Postby Johnnytheboy » Thu May 12, 2011 2:04 pm

Thank you very much, it was the fising trip of a lifetime!!! great fishing and all inclusive beer!!!
Johnnytheboy
hunter

Postby HOPIN4ABOAT » Thu May 12, 2011 2:46 pm

dablaw wrote:I bait trot lines with Ivory soap...You have to do this when the water is still cool or the soap gets a little soft...I made a wooden box and strung piano wire in both directions so when I push a whole bar of ivory soap through it I get perfect 1" squares of soap 1/2" thick...You can throw your BS flags if you want but I'm telling you it works..Had an friends grandad show me this when I was a kid many many moons ago...Just thought I would share before I'm dead and gone and this was something that never got passed down...I have told several people about it and ALL have had sucess...Just thought I'd share..

If anybody tries this remember that is has to be Ivory I can't remember what it has in it that is atractive to catfish but it's only in Ivory
Montanafowler wrote:check the jiblets real good, nothing scarier than seeing a bug biting your balls :lol3:
HOPIN4ABOAT
hunter

Postby swampwise » Mon Jul 18, 2011 1:45 pm

Best bait I've found is bare hands.
assateague wrote:
Indawoods wrote:I had a great, great aunt born with a vestigial tail. :lol3:

That was your great, great uncle. Tell him to turn around.
swampwise
hunter

Postby ducks~n~bucks » Fri Jul 22, 2011 9:27 pm

Live chihuahua works, Live bluegill work too.
ScaupHunter wrote:Oompa Loompa Loofah de do. Who wants to share a Loofa with you?
ducks~n~bucks
McLovin

Postby FullandFuller » Sat Jul 23, 2011 12:38 pm

Those that use live bluegill, how do you hook? Through the eyes? Also, do you cut it at all? Thanks.
bmoy1920 wrote:LOVE Giada!! I would love to use my pass on her!

FullandFuller
hunter

Re: Re: good baits for monster catfish?

Postby HOPIN4ABOAT » Sat Jul 23, 2011 3:27 pm

FullandFuller wrote:Those that use live bluegill, how do you hook? Through the eyes? Also, do you cut it at all? Thanks.

Just behind the dorsal fin when on bush hooks or somewhere in the front when on rod and reel
Montanafowler wrote:check the jiblets real good, nothing scarier than seeing a bug biting your balls :lol3:
HOPIN4ABOAT
hunter

Postby Ohio Catter » Sat Aug 13, 2011 8:29 pm

I've fished for cats for a long time and they can be funny at times. I'll give ya a quick rundown of what I like to use.
1. Live shad! When after flatties I will use live shad up to 14"
2. Cut shad. I only use the heads. Better known as catfish candy.
3. Live gills. 5+ inches keeps the smaller 3 and 4 pound kats from hitting the bait all night
4. Cut gills. Best luck using the head
5. Shrimp. Take one bag of large shell on shrimp and mix in----1 can of tuna in oil----1 can of smoked sardines----and 2 tbs of brown sugar. Mix well refridge overnight and enjoy.

I hope this helps you out and good luck. Tight lines, bent rods, and big fish to ya.
There's nothing better in life than to share the outdoors with your family and friends.
Ohio Catter
Newb

Postby foldinducks » Fri Dec 09, 2011 4:21 pm

7"-12" trout
it didnt smell like that when i ate it
foldinducks
hunter

Postby CLAYBREAKER22701 » Thu Feb 09, 2012 10:24 am

Not to bump a older thread but..... why would you use great tasting bait - ie - trout and shrimp to catch a damned catfish? Dont get me wrong I love a good catfish fight but trout........ really?
CLAYBREAKER22701
hunter

Location: North of Richmond - South of DC-West of 95 - East of the Mountains.

Postby waterfowler2484 » Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:06 am

002.jpg
In Idaho not allowed to run trot lines, but do you think the Ivory soap would work on a bank pole?
Attachments
003.jpg
"For every action, theres REACTION!!!"
waterfowler2484
hunter

Postby wooduck99 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:04 pm

we use 5 to 6 inch bluegill chop the head off put the head on one line and the body on another works every time
wooduck99
hunter

Postby chrispbrown271 » Tue Mar 20, 2012 5:54 am

Shrimp work great and are about the same price as minnows, but we only used them for drift fishing with rods. For a trotline my best producer was goldfish. They can get pricey at the bait shop, but they are tough as nails. I had goldfish that lived for 2 weeks sometimes more on a line. Bluegill die over night sometimes faster, but not those goldfish! My Grandpa used to cut up hot dogs and soak them in red food coloring. I never had any luck at all with chicken livers. Night crawlers attract too many other fish and as does minnows. Both of those baits usually and I ended up taking small bullheads off the hooks all night. Now I have always heard if you are looking for big flathead a small channel cat or bullhead is the ticket but never try it. If I wanna fill the cooler with fiddler cats a container of dip bait (either sonnys supersticky or some homemade with velveeta cheese and some other spices left in the sun for a few days) works if there is a little bit of current to spread out the scent.
Chris
chrispbrown271
hunter

Postby TNhunter611 » Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:01 pm

Well fishing on the Tennessee River we always use leeches and they work wonders, especially if you are just trying to catch fish period. The bream tend to stay off of them too but if you want to catch anything from bass, crappie, to catfish leeches is the way to go, ive even caught walleye off them in Colorado.
2013-2014 season
10 BWT
4 GWT
8 Widgeon
4 Shovelers
4 Pintails
2 Gadwall
1 Ringed neck
TNhunter611
hunter

Postby handyandy » Fri May 25, 2012 9:47 am

skipjack live or cut up fresh, shad cut up fresh or live too if you can catch them sometimes hard to do big blues like it flats seem to like live better. Bluegill work well too. I've even had luck with hot dog, and I like pork liver better than chicken liver stays on hooks better seems to work just as well for me.
Red neck engineering- If ya can't fix it with duck tape, bailing wire, zip ties, and JB weld well than it can't be fixed.

If it moves and it aint suppose to duck tape it. If doesn't move and its suppose to put WD-40 on it.
handyandy
hunter

good baits for monster catfish?

Postby Okie-quacker » Fri May 25, 2012 10:22 am

Caught this one on perch.
72lb flat
Okie-quacker
hunter

Postby duckdozer » Fri May 25, 2012 12:29 pm

dont any of you guys using "perch" tell the gamey that you are using perch, that is Illegal, and one of my biggest pet peeves. It is either a green sunfish or bluegill that you are more than likely using. A perch is a game fish and looks nothing like the fish you are calling perch. Read a fishing guide identify your catch, do you call all of your ducks mallards?

There are sunfish and perch in this picture can you correctly id them?
Aux Lake H Maxine NAVHDA NA Prize 2 103pts
Retrieves Season #1 ('13) 185
Season #2 ('14) 197
Season #3 ('15) 96
Mallyard wrote:LOL... Truck+Gas+Basic Knowledge of Waterfowl habits = chance at sucess!
duckdozer
hunter

Postby FullandFuller » Fri May 25, 2012 9:23 pm

That may be the law in your little neck of the woods, but where I live perch are perfectly legal to use as bait, as long as they were legally caught. Perch, bluegills, bass, or any other legally taken fish, other than carp. Here we are not supposed to use carp or any kind of goldfish, I guess to prevent any further spreading of such invasives.

Keep in mind that laws vary greatly state to state...and thank God for that or it would be a boring country to live in.
bmoy1920 wrote:LOVE Giada!! I would love to use my pass on her!

FullandFuller
hunter

Postby waterdogds » Mon May 28, 2012 3:56 pm

Cut mullet
"He who knows nothing is closer to the truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods and errors." Thomas Jefferson
waterdogds
hunter

PreviousNext

Return to Fishing