Heavy Shot Dead coyote

Interact with others on shot gun shells, reloading, ballistics, chokes, or anything that has to do with your shooting.

Moderators: donell67, Ohio Wildfowler, NV Guide, pennsyltucky

Heavy Shot Dead coyote

Postby bigmossy » Thu Oct 07, 2004 8:53 am

Has anyone shot the new heavy shot dead coyote round? Thinking about buying some for goose back-up, but would like to get an unbiased opinion on how it performs.
ACTS 10:10-13
bigmossy
Pro Hunter

Postby mccree79 » Sat Oct 09, 2004 3:18 pm

Be careful, in Illinois Hevi-Shot must be under size BB. The rest are illegal to posses while waterfowl hunting.I would check your states laws. But I am sure the dead coyote (T shot) has some serious range.
mccree79
hunter

Postby chase83 » Mon Oct 18, 2004 1:01 pm

I have heard you cannot shot anything more then an improved cylinder or there is the risk of jamming
SHOT EM IN THE FACE!!!
NO MORE skybusting!!

1756vbw G3 35hp GDSD
chase83
hunter

Postby chase83 » Mon Oct 18, 2004 1:01 pm

I have heard you cannot shot anything more then an improved cylinder or there is the risk of jamming
SHOT EM IN THE FACE!!!
NO MORE skybusting!!

1756vbw G3 35hp GDSD
chase83
hunter

Postby Thundersnow » Tue Dec 21, 2004 4:54 pm

Tried some hevi shot bb's last year. Didn't really like them as much as the 2's. I know the 2's have enough power to crush a goose at 60 yards and a dense enough pattern. I'd rather have the extra pellets and stay within 60. The bigger pellets will have more knock down, but, the pattern will not be very dense. It's kinda like steel F shot (illegal in most places) are suppose to be the biggest crippler of geese. They just do not have the pattern density to get the use out of the higher knock down power not to mention people shooting at ranges they shouldn't consider.
Thundersnow
hunter

Postby JWG » Tue Dec 21, 2004 6:51 pm

I guess I can tell you I had obtained some from a nearby Cabelas outlet. The 3-inch shells. They even sell some 3.5's. The only 3.5" that the Hevi-Shot company chambers, so far. I also can tell you that the stuff does exactly what it says it does. Makes coyotes deader than needed be. I haven't shot allot of coyotes with a shotgun, and when I did it was with a magnum lead load of 4's or 2's. They're a tough animal and this one I shot we called in about 50yrds I'd say. Not too close and not too far away. But when my friend missed with his rifle I shot. It was a very dead coyote. I never really looked for where the pellets went in but there was noticeable blood coming from her left ear and one had to have hit her spine. The mange had its whole hindquarters and most of her back missing fur. Back to the shot, it also puts very VERY big wholes in honkers. I only got one with it. For waterfowl, I think B is more than sufficient. This Dead coyote load is sure to have killed its share of waterfowl at ridiculous ranges. But, with its price and the amount of shot it has (50 pellets 3", 54 pellets 3.5") I'm pretty sure it won't become a pass shooters favorite. If you are a pass shooter who favors nothing but this load (T Hevi-Shot) send me some (not alot some) loads too because your love for the sport is as high as mine but, you have too much money
JWG
hunter

Postby donell67 » Tue Dec 21, 2004 9:47 pm

they could send me some too. i would use it if its legal here but way to spendy for me to buy. :eek:
donell67
Forum & State Moderator

Postby valleyhunter » Mon Dec 27, 2004 4:03 pm

We have been using it on honkers and it has been amazing. We are shooting the three inch shells out of pattern master chokes. So far have been very pleased with it's performance. It kills honkers at ranges I normly would not shoot them at with steel.
valleyhunter
hunter

Postby JWG » Mon Dec 27, 2004 8:50 pm

Holy Hefferdust! PatternMasters! Hey, if you haven't already, pattern some at about, ohhh say, 75 or so yards and let us all know what happened! I know it still has the punch per pellet out there, just curious to see how many out of 50 pellets make it to a chunk of cardboard.
JWG
hunter

Return to Shotshell, Reloading, Ballistics, & Chokes