2 7/8 10 gauge

Interact with others on shot gun shells, reloading, ballistics, chokes, or anything that has to do with your shooting.

Moderators: donell67, NV Guide, pennsyltucky, Ohio Wildfowler

Re: 2 7/8 10 gauge

Postby roughshooter1 » Sat Apr 28, 2012 2:37 pm

Some great info here - Thankyou
Regards
Graham
roughshooter1
hunter

Postby lostknife4 » Tue Jun 12, 2012 7:44 am

Seeking steel shot data for cut to 3" Win and Fed, both paper base wad hulls and using rto crimps . Lost
"It's not the game but the chase ~ not the trophy but the race !" from my Dad, many years ago.
lostknife4
hunter

Postby nhshotgunner » Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:43 am

lostknife4 wrote:Seeking steel shot data for cut to 3" Win and Fed, both paper base wad hulls and using rto crimps . Lost

There is very little data for steel loads in the 2 7/8" 10 gauge. What few there are use Federal hulls and 7/8 ounce of steel shot, refer to my spreadsheet, link to it is a previous post in this thread. Steel load for the short ten came from Ballistic Products.
nhshotgunner
hunter

Postby lostknife4 » Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:10 am

Unfortunately BPI do not sell to Canadians any more. I have BPI BPD, BPD+, and SAM1 shotcups from the good old days, when BPI and all the others would sell to us, and a bunch of SP-10's but no VP100 shotcups. I'm looking for a simple 1.25 to 2 oz recipe for normal steel using SAM1's or SP10 or BPD's or BPD+'s in a 3" or 2-7/8 hull cut down from 3.5" using RTO crimps and both my Winchester and Federal hulls have fibre or paper base wads. The Winchesters are old Lead hulls and do not have the plastic base wads. Lost
"It's not the game but the chase ~ not the trophy but the race !" from my Dad, many years ago.
lostknife4
hunter

Postby lostknife4 » Sat Jul 14, 2012 7:35 am

Bump, still seeking a 10 ga cut to 3" Win & Fed both with fibre basewad steel shot rto recipe. Lost
lostknife4
hunter

Postby mike cook » Sun Jul 15, 2012 2:28 pm

Well I just finished cleaning up my 1909 Ithaca Flues 10ga SXS 2 7/8 for this season on the water and the field , I shoot RST nice shot shells and it will still drop ducks and geese like the day she came out of the shop,
Mike cook, A.K.A. suddenthunder :thumbsup:
Last edited by mike cook on Sun Jul 22, 2012 5:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"AMERICA FIRST" !
JOIN THE " NRA "
mike cook
hunter

Postby BT Justice » Sun Jul 15, 2012 5:21 pm

nhshotgunner wrote:
lostknife4 wrote:Seeking steel shot data for cut to 3" Win and Fed, both paper base wad hulls and using rto crimps . Lost

There is very little data for steel loads in the 2 7/8" 10 gauge. What few there are use Federal hulls and 7/8 ounce of steel shot, refer to my spreadsheet, link to it is a previous post in this thread. Steel load for the short ten came from Ballistic Products.

You have to think outside the box a bit ,most of the 7/8 oz 10 ga BP loads are a waste of time, I tried a few and they are to light to cycle the gun properly in most instances.
I made up my own several years ago and it works much better, 1 1/4 oz of steel shot @ 1500 fps using STEEL powder in the 2 7/8" (actually cut back to 3") 10 ga shell, you can only use it for your opening shot in either the Gold or SP-10 but it works quite nicely.
BT Justice
hunter

Postby lostknife4 » Sun Jul 15, 2012 7:13 pm

That's where the BPS 10 comes in, it will eat anything............. Lost
lostknife4
hunter

Postby nhshotgunner » Wed Jul 25, 2012 1:50 pm

You have to think outside the box a bit ,most of the 7/8 oz 10 ga BP loads are a waste of time, I tried a few and they are to light to cycle the gun properly in most instances.
I made up my own several years ago and it works much better, 1 1/4 oz of steel shot @ 1500 fps using STEEL powder in the 2 7/8" (actually cut back to 3") 10 ga shell, you can only use it for your opening shot in either the Gold or SP-10 but it works quite nicely.

BT, would you be willing to share that 1 1/4 ounce short ten steel shot recipe via PM? I also have a BPS but I just bought a ROTA Model 106 sxs in 10ga. It has 28" barrels and weighs 8.5lbs so I am looking for a light steel load to shoot out of it. Thanks.
nhshotgunner
hunter

Postby flanman » Sun Oct 27, 2013 1:09 am

nhshotgunner wrote:My winter project, to find and collect in a single place all published reloading data for the 2 7/8" 10 gauge. I have some more data coming in the mail and will update the spreadsheet with a few more loads in the coming weeks. If you have any loading data for the short ten that is not included please send it to me and I will add it to the spreadsheet.

The information and data contained on these pages is for informational purposes only. I do NOT assume, nor do I accept ANY responsibility, implied or expressed, for the accuracy of the material posted (including potential typos), nor do I assume or accept ANY liability or responsibility, implied or expressed, of the results you will obtain by using any of the data posted on these pages.

I have no control over variations in components, reloading tools or your procedures. YOU are solely responsible for EVERYTHING that may occur using this data.

http://www.fileden.com/files/2012/4/28/3297938/ComprehensiveListofShortTenloads5.2.2012.pdf

Greetings

I recently acquired a Winchester 1901. As you know this was only made in 10 gauge. While it will fit a 3-1/2in shotshell I am hoping to keep the pressures down. Therefore I intend to reload 2-7/8in shotshells. I have tried to look at the PDF file associated with the link in the quoted reply but I have not been able to find it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

flanman
flanman
Newb

Postby BT Justice » Sun Oct 27, 2013 2:41 am

flanman wrote:
nhshotgunner wrote:My winter project, to find and collect in a single place all published reloading data for the 2 7/8" 10 gauge. I have some more data coming in the mail and will update the spreadsheet with a few more loads in the coming weeks. If you have any loading data for the short ten that is not included please send it to me and I will add it to the spreadsheet.

The information and data contained on these pages is for informational purposes only. I do NOT assume, nor do I accept ANY responsibility, implied or expressed, for the accuracy of the material posted (including potential typos), nor do I assume or accept ANY liability or responsibility, implied or expressed, of the results you will obtain by using any of the data posted on these pages.

I have no control over variations in components, reloading tools or your procedures. YOU are solely responsible for EVERYTHING that may occur using this data.

http://www.fileden.com/files/2012/4/28/3297938/ComprehensiveListofShortTenloads5.2.2012.pdf

Greetings

I recently acquired a Winchester 1901. As you know this was only made in 10 gauge. While it will fit a 3-1/2in shotshell I am hoping to keep the pressures down. Therefore I intend to reload 2-7/8in shotshells. I have tried to look at the PDF file associated with the link in the quoted reply but I have not been able to find it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

flanman

If the gun will shoot 3 1/2 " shells then I would suggest you use 3 1/2" loads. You'll get more load information and lower pressures with 3 1/2" loads. Ballistic Products Mighty 10 ga manual has plenty of low pressure lead loads in it.
Most of us are only using 2 7/8" loads because we cut down 3 1/2" hulls that have worn out at the crimp.
BT Justice
hunter

Postby lostknife4 » Tue Nov 05, 2013 5:37 am

A shorter shell doesn't necessarily mean lower pressures.
Lost
lostknife4
hunter

Previous

Return to Shotshell, Reloading, Ballistics, & Chokes