Giving up on mouth calls.

A wild turkey hunting forum for hunting turkeys in the spring and fall seasons.

Moderators: stumpjumper, MossyGO!

Giving up on mouth calls.

Postby TNDuckHunter1 » Fri Mar 19, 2010 8:01 pm

After a year or so of practice, I think I will call it quits on the mouths calls. I have a couple good box and slate calls but can not get the hang of the mouth calls. I can cluck and purr and that is it. Last year, i called with the box and then put it down to finish with the mouth call. I found they stick their heads up for a shot but will not come to it.

Any of you agree or should I keep trying. Are they over rated?
TNDuckHunter1
hunter

Re: Giving up on mouth calls.

Postby Uncle Jesse » Sat Mar 20, 2010 3:20 am

I was the same way for years. I would buy a new one every year but I never could get a single sound out of em. About 2 years ago I got a primos mini sonic dome and finally got some sound out. I use it a lot now. It's handy for loud cuttin to make em gobble when nothing else will.

I still can't use regular mouth calls. Just the sonic dome. Not saying the sonic dome will work for you but maybe you ain't found the right call yet.
Jesus Saves
Uncle Jesse
hunter

Postby TNDuckHunter1 » Sat Mar 20, 2010 5:20 am

Uncle Jesse wrote:I was the same way for years. I would buy a new one every year but I never could get a single sound out of em. About 2 years ago I got a primos mini sonic dome and finally got some sound out. I use it a lot now. It's handy for loud cuttin to make em gobble when nothing else will.

I still can't use regular mouth calls. Just the sonic dome. Not saying the sonic dome will work for you but maybe you ain't found the right call yet.

I have about 20. bought about 15 last year and a few months ago i got 3-4 single packs of different brands. The sonic dome is a good call and i can do a limited amount with it. I bought the CD and 3 calls in that pack. Those are the best for me but nowhere near good enough to call turkeys. I bought a mini sonic dome and it is ok. I like the big dome better.

Side note....I walked my pup a few minutes ago and it is getting daylight. I listened for a minute and some chicken crowed at the house next door then a big loud gobble from the woods behind me. It is getting close......about 2 weeks
TNDuckHunter1
hunter

Postby Uncle Jesse » Sat Mar 20, 2010 6:54 pm

One week if ya got a kid to take :wink:
Jesus Saves
Uncle Jesse
hunter

Postby TNDuckHunter1 » Sat Mar 20, 2010 7:53 pm

Uncle Jesse wrote:One week if ya got a kid to take :wink:

time to do some baby sitting....
TNDuckHunter1
hunter

Postby Uncle Jesse » Sun Mar 21, 2010 1:39 am

:lol:

I don't know but if you've done went through 20 mouth calls and ain't found that "perfect" one yet, then it might be time to get the 'ol trusty push button mounted on the gun barrel :lol3:
Jesus Saves
Uncle Jesse
hunter

Postby TNDuckHunter1 » Sun Mar 21, 2010 5:25 am

Uncle Jesse wrote::lol:

I don't know but if you've done went through 20 mouth calls and ain't found that "perfect" one yet, then it might be time to get the 'ol trusty push button mounted on the gun barrel :lol3:

I might..........the first pack of three I couldnt get the right tones. I decided to try a couple other brands Primos Knight & Hale and a few others. I was traveling a lot last year so I bought 2-3 of the instruction CD each having 2-3 calls and would practice when i was driving. I stopped for a few months then this year I want and bought 2 more brands to try again. I finally got tired of 4 dollars a call and figured my box calls and slate should work untill the get close then maybe cluck a little with the mouth call.

13 days left
TNDuckHunter1
hunter

Postby fallnl » Sun Mar 21, 2010 9:12 am

Agreed with the Sonic Dome...It is the only mouth call I can make any sound on... But I still don't have it down near as good as it needs to be to take it into the woods...So, It's me and my Battleship box call and slates this year...That and they still have a tendency to gag me a little...
If it flies...It might not die, but by God it will get a damned good dodging workout!!!

2009 TOTALS:
Mallard: 5

Team Quackers for Quackers...(the lowly probie)
fallnl
hunter

Postby magogwhacker » Tue Mar 23, 2010 12:44 pm

Try some other brands, I've had much better results with more local brands, rather than the mass produced ones from Primos, MAD QB, etc. When you find one you sound good on you can't compete with the cadence you'll be able to make, especially mixing yelps and cutting.
What? There's open water? Its not cold enough.
magogwhacker
hunter

Postby killerv » Tue Mar 23, 2010 1:25 pm

stay with it, I probably use a mouth call the least but they definitely have their advantages. It took me some testing before I found a couple that I really liked. I don't know if you've tried a stacked frame call yet but for a beginner its a good way to start out. You don't have to worry about reeds sticking together and you will probably be able to get the sound you are looking for quicker. I use a Primos True Double most of the time and have stopped purchasing any other calls but that one.
killerv
hunter

Postby TNDuckHunter1 » Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:18 pm

magogwhacker wrote:Try some other brands, I've had much better results with more local brands, rather than the mass produced ones from Primos, MAD QB, etc. When you find one you sound good on you can't compete with the cadence you'll be able to make, especially mixing yelps and cutting.

I really agree with you on that. The pros sound great and they could not do it on a box/slate. Maybe you are right, I have spent thousands upon thousand on hunting over the years, whats another 4 dollars a call.

I will say it is a little late for this year. I hunted nearly every day last year (1st turkey season) and killed 4. The one thing that is funny now but killed me last year was hearing thurkeys gobble and knowing the sound I was about to make could either be ok or really bad. Nothing is worse than watching him strut your way and some God aweful cackle/cluck/whatever sound comes out.

You know he is thinking........whats the hecks her problem?
TNDuckHunter1
hunter

Postby meathead » Wed Mar 24, 2010 6:47 am

Keep at it man...if you can make a couple decent noises on them that may be all it takes. I use mine to finish, and also when I'm walking in if I take a loud step or something I'll give a cluck or two...thought being hopefully the woods will think I'm just a turkey who came down from roost a little early. Other than that I use the slates because like you I'm just not very confident on the mouth calls...but they weigh nothing and cost very little, so if you can make any decent noise on them I don't see any reason not to have them around.

And worst case if you botch a cluck or something, just keep on working right through and get back to your cadence. Turkeys choke on a cluck from time to time just like people stutter or slip up their words...maybe he'll think your decoy just wants it so bad she's really nervous :lol3:
meathead
hunter

Postby Jarbo03 » Sun Apr 11, 2010 9:53 pm

Keep practicing on the mouth calls, if its not good enough to use while hunting, dont use it, but keep practicing, once you get it figured out, you will be glad you put the time in.
Jarbo03
hunter

Postby trigger22 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:23 am

I do about 90 percent of my calling with a mouth call, only time I pick up anything else is a box call for some long range calling, a slate when I want some super sick purrs and cuts, and a scratch box when hunting public heavy pressured birds. other than that most of the time I am using the mouth call. Keep practicing with it and you'll get it. I practice with mine starting the day duck season goes out all the way till the end of season, then I pick my duck calls back up and practice with them. It's a never ending cycle. My favorite calls are made by Cane Creek, and Woodbutcher. I learned a long time ago that the cheap calls that they sell at wal mart arent really worth a dang, and now that I spend a few more bucks a call I save money in the long run.
Sporting the Ambusher Layout and the Sprigtail Pirogue by Core Sound Layout Boats. "By the time they see you, it's too late."
trigger22
hunter

Postby HoosierHunter08 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:07 pm

Have u tried using youth mouth calls, I couldn't blow a regular call for years and one of my buddies told me to try a youth mouth call and I tried and it sounds so much better! I guess i have a different shaped mouth but give that a try before ya totally give up because I was rite there with ya wanting to give up on mouth calls but I'm glad I tried them its made me a more well rounded turkey caller! Good Luck!
HoosierHunter08
hunter

Postby TNDuckHunter1 » Wed Apr 14, 2010 2:37 am

Without a doubt, I retract my statement of giving up on mouth calls.

I was lucky enough to land 250 acres of perfect turkey hunting land. I killed a very nice bird a couple days ago but it was luck that he and a friend walked down the road to me. This is my second season and I have called in 3 in the last couple days.

I had a box and slate and had a huge turkey gobbling towards me. I cut the distance in half and sat under a cedar tree just in time to see him come over the hill. I made the mistake of placing myself with no cover in front of me because I was on the property line. He was loving the purring of the slate and everything else I was giving him but when he stepped out at 75 yards and had direct line of site to me.............the calling stopped. He gobbled and gobbled with his beard dragging the ground and I couldnt move and couldnt call with the mouth call. :huh: :huh: :huh: he left a little later and I couldnt call him back.

The next day I had a 3-4 inch beard come to me from a field and I was in the woods 40 yards. I purred and he went nuts...especially when I raked leaves. He circled at about 65 yards until he had direct line of site to my position and once again I had to stop the movement. He never committed.

What I have learned........Mouth calling and cover are a must!
TNDuckHunter1
hunter

Postby BigAL64 » Sun Feb 20, 2011 9:08 am

HoosierHunter08 wrote:Have u tried using youth mouth calls, I couldn't blow a regular call for years and one of my buddies told me to try a youth mouth call and I tried and it sounds so much better! I guess i have a different shaped mouth but give that a try before ya totally give up because I was rite there with ya wanting to give up on mouth calls but I'm glad I tried them its made me a more well rounded turkey caller! Good Luck!

Dito on this for me. I tryed just about every mouth call there is . I have a very narrow pallot , I even tryed cutting the calls down, nothing worked.I could get a little sound out of the dome calls but it didn't sound very good. Then I tryed the HS strut small frames for youth , in about a half hour I could make all the sounds; yelps, clucks, purrs, kee kee runs and cuttin. Try them they come in 3 packs or you can just buy the double D. Good Luck
BigAL64
hunter

Postby ks_waterfowler » Mon Feb 21, 2011 12:26 pm

I have been turkey hunting for 17 years and kill my two birds and call in numerous other birds for others each year. I have never used a mouth call, and have no plans to in the immediate future. Especially on public land, I think they are the most over used over rated type of call out there.
whistlin_wings wrote:I grew up in a neighborhood with only 3 pools and a public golf course. Thug life is all I know.
ks_waterfowler
hunter

Postby pete/pmr » Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:56 pm

I have used mouth calls for many years,also box calls,slates,crystals,even tried some aluminum pots,push button ones,you name it,as I was involved in the business with a company,but it is not the piont here,mouth calls are useful and work if used properly,first off all palats are not the same,so some styles of mouth calls need to be trimmed to fit,this is step one,step two is tongue position and air flow,you need to not pound out sounds,how many times have you heard a hen cluck from 80-100 yards in the woods,purring is even harder to hear,so calling is a soft issue,turkeys can hear just as good as they can see,because we have all heard callers on stage hammering away on mouth calls,most people think this is how it needs too be,soft calls,soft air,easy content little clucks,or purring,you want to locate a tom with a mouth call,go for it,but do not expect him to come running to that call,he will gobble,but more than likely that is just a shock gobble,mouth calls are for finishing off a bird,that last 80 yards,where you do not want your hands full of strikes,or box calls,it is just a little easier to shot a bird when you have both hands free,just be able to give the bird something to look at(decoys) and something to hear(mouth call)and do not over call,one or two soft purrs,with a soft cluck,and leave it alone for a little while,he will come in if he sees and hears hen/hens,and that is all you need for a mouth call,scout out the birds be where they want to be,wait and then when you can see the bird,he is interested,softly call,no need to be a stage caller,they are not trying to call a bird in,they are trying to win a contest that no turkey in its right mind would respond too!If you put a real hen on that stage it could not win! If you can make a soft cluck,and can purr,that is all you need to be able to get the bird into gun range! Just do not beat it up,calling is the whole game in a nut shell! Most people call way too much!!!! Stick with a mouth call,use them wisely,and buy new ones every year,material they are made from does not have a shelf life once they have been used,sure they are good for a few weeks,if properly taken care of,rinsed and dried before getting put away,but more than a season out of them and you will not get good sound quality!

Here is a tom that died to a soft little purr and no decoy!As you can see the mouth call is still in my mouth!

2013 Season Totals

Canada Geese 105
Mallards 43
Woodies 31
Teal 16
widgeon 8
Blacks 11
Goldeneyes 25 "Take-em"
Buffleheads 4
Bluebills 1
snows 27
Band Count 5
pete/pmr
hunter

Postby BigAL64 » Thu Feb 24, 2011 1:12 pm

Right on Pete!! I remember when I first started turkey hunting I would call them in so far and they would not come any farther. I asked this old guy that I knew to come with me and tell me what I was doing wrong.The next morning He went with me, He listened to what I was doing and Ill never forget what he said."You are calling to much and to loudly. Do you want to hear that turkey gobble or do you want to kill him?" Of course my answer was " I want to kill him." Then we found another bird later that morning and he did the calling, just soft clucks and purrs and scratching in the leaves 20 min. later I shot that bird at 15 yards. Lesson learned.I usually use a box or slate call to strike a bird and use the mouth call in close. Before I found the small frames this was missing from my arsonal
BigAL64
hunter

Postby rtbuckshot » Mon Apr 04, 2011 3:56 pm

You cant beat mouth calls for keeping your hands on the gun and your head down and ready. I only carry a slate for a change of pace and dont even own a box call. I helped Will Primos hand out Sonic domes to an NWTF crowd in Nashville one time, and didn't even take one for myself. I wouldnt have one. Some of their newer calls are fairly decent.
rtbuckshot
hunter

Postby Hat Flats » Tue Apr 05, 2011 5:05 pm

rtbuckshot wrote:You cant beat mouth calls for keeping your hands on the gun and your head down and ready. I only carry a slate for a change of pace and dont even own a box call. I helped Will Primos hand out Sonic domes to an NWTF crowd in Nashville one time, and didn't even take one for myself. I wouldnt have one. Some of their newer calls are fairly decent.

So what is your point other than to slam Primos...? Will seems like a nice guy I bet he will be happy to see you again after the kind words about his products.

Kurt
Hat Flats
hunter

Postby pete/pmr » Sat Apr 09, 2011 8:45 am

Hat Flats wrote:
rtbuckshot wrote:You cant beat mouth calls for keeping your hands on the gun and your head down and ready. I only carry a slate for a change of pace and dont even own a box call. I helped Will Primos hand out Sonic domes to an NWTF crowd in Nashville one time, and didn't even take one for myself. I wouldnt have one. Some of their newer calls are fairly decent.

So what is your point other than to slam Primos...? Will seems like a nice guy I bet he will be happy to see you again after the kind words about his products.

Kurt

I agree with rtbuckshot,I cannot use those dome calls,and if you look at all the calls out there on the mass market,most are designed around the same features,proven for general population,I was a Pro Staffer for Quacker Boy for about 8 years and they would send us stuff to try out in the field and alot of them were good,but there were always junk stuff too,and that was personal opinions between staffer's, some liked it, and some didn't! Calls are personal,and do not fit into everyones view on calling ,or style of calling,like a dome call,they are palat specific,meaning they are designed for only certain palats! Mine is not one of them,so to me they are not a good call for me! I will always recommend a flat style frame and trimming them to fit,so you have a proper seal! Once you learn this then you can experiment with other types of calls,and find the type you like and stick with them!
2013 Season Totals

Canada Geese 105
Mallards 43
Woodies 31
Teal 16
widgeon 8
Blacks 11
Goldeneyes 25 "Take-em"
Buffleheads 4
Bluebills 1
snows 27
Band Count 5
pete/pmr
hunter

Postby waterfowl1030 » Mon May 02, 2011 2:45 pm

My season just started today in Michigan and i know its too late for this year but over the summer i'd like to start mouth calling. I was looking at a 3 pack that zink had but i was wondering if any of you guys have heard of/used a good instructional dvd?
Big Sean's Championship Calls Field Team
waterfowl1030
hunter

Return to Turkey Hunting Forum