Duck Hunting Forum banner

Trouble with my calling.

3K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  SteveInTN 
#1 ·
I am having a real tough time getting my calling to sound right. I have a Hunters Specialties cassette and the Duck Commander CD that I bought to help me. I have a H.S. single reed call, and a Primos P.H.A.T lady cal, but can't get it to sound right with either. Does anyone have any suggestions that might help. I've tried saying wick, gwik, quack, ut, and still can't get it right.

#2 ·
The RNT CD's suggest using these words for the quack: Hut, Hoot, Ooot, Quick, Quit, Doit, and Dwit.

For the feeder: Too-Ka, Tic-ka, Dig-ga, Doo-ga, Kit-ty, and Get-ty

For the Cluck: Cook, Shook

Be sure that you are holding the call correctly, and placing your lips on it right as well.

I just got these cd's this week, and my calls are already starting to sound convincing. I use an RNT original call. Practice, practice, practice.

#4 ·
I seriously doubt your call is at fault. The first thing I tell people is to exhale into the call. You really don't blow a call.

The second and just important thing is to hum while exhaling, but don't growl.

Use the back of your throat to control the flow of air not your tounge....

KO

#6 ·
Get the Keith Allen instructional CD:

http://www.pureduck.com/cd.html

What KO says is the truth. I have listened to a ton of other instructional CDs and I was 'blowing' into the call. Even when you hear someone say to put air through it like you are fogging a mirror, it doesn't become obvious to you how that differs from 'blowing'. Keith's CD makes that abundantly clear and his presentation is straight forward. The RNT CDs move over this pretty quick and are not quite as overt in stressing this fundamental. By what they tell you to say into the call it promotes the proper method, but they don't stress it. Therefore you THINK you are doing it right when in fact you aren't.

It makes all the difference in the world. Where the air is coming from changes the sound like you wouldn't believe. Get Keith's CD.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.