Fly Fishing

Fresh and salt water fishing

Moderators: Dogman, MossyGO!, Kiskadinna, WSUWESTON, Montanafowler

Fly Fishing

Postby Coleman24 » Sun Apr 25, 2010 9:43 am

Hey. So just finished my first year of college, and for my kines class I took fly fishing... we only really learned how to cast and hook fish, and where to go and a few little things, I just want to know from others that have experience any pointers?!

I am looking to get a rod and stuff, but really dont have money to do so yet. so also if anyone knows of where I can get one fairly cheap also that would be great. Thanks everyone
Coleman24
hunter

Re: Fly Fishing

Postby swampbilly 1980 » Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:45 am

Different strokes for different folks,..but I like to use floating line when flyfishing, especially in ponds/lakes with tons of snags/brushpiles. Be patient,..casting well doesn't happen overnite,.. :beer:
Swampbilly1980- I got a feeva',..and the only cure is more Mergansers and face paint.
swampbilly 1980
Forum & State Moderator

Postby meathead » Mon Apr 26, 2010 1:48 pm

Rod selection is totally dependant on what type of fishing you'll be doing. I love thompson and thompson and really like st. croix for trout, and like orvis rods for salmon and salt water. As far as going cheap, or cheapish, I highly recommend any kit type setup (rod/lined reel combo) from l.l. bean or a low end orvis rod - these won't be quite as cheap as something you could pick up at say a cabelas or bass pro - but ll bean rods are pretty darn good...and most importantly they have a life time guarantee - both bean and orvis will send you a brand new rod for any breakage or failure, including if that falure is due to your dog chewing on it or you backing over it with your truck. Save up just a bit longer and get one of these brands (maybe there are others with the same guarantee?) and you'll never need to buy another rod of that weight again IN YOUR LIFE.

I recently sent an old 9wt orvis rod in after slamming a truck door on it. This rod was top of the line when my father bought it for me around a dozen years ago - technology has now rendered it equivilent to the bottom of the line Orvis rod. Orvis sent back their new top of the line rod because when mine was purchased that's what it was (a drastic improvement over my old equipment, and pricier than mine was to boot), and let me pick the action and how many pieces I wanted. Obviously doing business like that, I can't say enough good about them. Only thing that would swing me towards bean for you is they are likely cheaper at the middle/low end, and their reels may carry the same guarantee (not sure - check into it).

Only other advice is go somewhere with a casting pool or some facility where you can test everything out. There are a ton of variables in fly rods of any weight. Once you find a few rods you like that fit the budget, try them with every action and flex point and reel combo possible. Try a few different casts and a few different mends, and make sure you spend your money on something comfortable that you will be able to learn on happily and use effectively once you know what's up.

...then, get yourself a good set of nail clippers and let the wind knots begin :beer:

Oh and if you're headed for the salt and plan on throwing around some big 'ole weighted flys like clousers and whatnot- an unbreakable pair of sunglasses and plenty of bandaids will be good to have around for a while :lol3:

Have fun man!
meathead
hunter

Postby BamaFowler13 » Wed Apr 28, 2010 9:29 pm

I also just got started fly fishing, been at it for around 2 months or so. I dont know alot about it yet but maybe i can help you out a little. I'm using a White River combo from BPS right now, they have a few different ones that run between $70-$90 and they work fine for me. I know there are better ones out there but right now i'm still deciding if it's something i'm gonna stay with and it does everything i need it to do. I dont know what you're gonna be fishing for but i know that a 5 weight is a good all around weight, i use it for panfish and trout all the way to big bass.The biggest thing that helped me learn to cast was a practice leader that was bright orange with some lime green material tyed on for visual aide, and the fact that there was no hook to worry about gave me alot more confidence. The biggest thing is to just get out there and fish, thats the easiest way to learn ( for me anyway).
BamaFowler13
hunter

Postby Kiskadinna » Thu Apr 29, 2010 8:53 pm

So much of FF can be done on a budget - at least in moderation that is. The trouble with fly fishing, is so little becomes moderation. I started with a cheap combo rod my dad had around, cane with a cheap martin rod. Then I bought my own outfit, fairly cheap too. If you've got money, put it into the rod, not the reel as that just holds the line. A new weight forward line is all most beginners need -new because used lines are seldom well cared for. Tying your own leaders out of mono, even if they are level is sufficient, but tying tapered leaders is a good bet too.
For the cheapest flies, don't buy unless you absolutely have too. Flies are a place where people tend to sink a lot of useless money. Go buy some basics - a handful of caddis imitations, some general nymphs like hare's ear or Pheasant Tails, then some wooly buggers. Everything else, search the deals for hooks, buy a bobbin and some thread and check craft stores and fly fishing departments for tying materials.
For Panfish, I am a big fan of buying foam craft sheets, then laminating a stack together with 3m super 77 then cutting with some cheap punches from harbor freight. glue to a hook with superglue, add a feather or hair to the tail end, and you've got a decent popper.
A 5 wt in my mind is mostly a trout and panfish rod. up to a six or a seven weight and you've got enough to throw some clouser minnows or big poppers too.

Some great books are out there on the subject, for trout, Im a big fan of No Hatch to Match. For panfish, I think most folks can bumble through until you gain the knowledge that comes with days on the water.
Erik
Kiskadinna
Super Moderator

Postby Coleman24 » Fri Apr 30, 2010 6:20 am

Thank you guys... went out to TCO the other day, it's a local FF store, and went with my Fly Fishing class, very interesting, and they were very helpful. As was everyone here, thanks a lot.

I did actually tie a bunch of my own flies, and, well, that could be a hobby in itself.
Coleman24
hunter

Postby Elvis Kiwi » Tue Jun 25, 2013 11:59 pm

carefull its catchy.
Elvis Kiwi
hunter

Postby JoJer » Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:13 pm

North American Fly Fishing Forum.
JoJer
hunter

Postby RustyGunz1960 » Thu Jul 18, 2013 7:26 am

The only thing I would add to the excellent advice given above is to not fret more than necessary over your equipment and not fall into the trap of trying to buy success. I carried everything but the kitchen sink when I started out and longed to move up to more expensive equipment when I could afford it. I learned along the way that success comes from experience much more than equipment. Knowing where, when and how to fish will get you more fish than a four digit-costing rod will. Spend more time at first perfecting your casting and presentation than on worrying about changing flies after every few unsuccessful casts. I do pretty well now carrying fewer patterns than I ever did. Spend time just sitting on the bank watching for feeding fish and taking note of insect activity. Learn how and where to wade (and where not too!) in order to not spook fish. After you master the basics, you can decide if you want to move up to more expensive equipment. Quality gear can make the experience more pleasurable, but certainly isn’t the key to success. Welcome to the disease!
RustyGunz1960
hunter

Postby Joe Guide » Tue Sep 17, 2013 10:05 am

Have you been out and enjoying your fly fishing this month?
Mr. Nash, he had me take out a Mr. Money from England, who was "De' Shooingest Gent'man" I'd ever did meet! ***Check out [Joe Guide YOU TUBE hunting Videos]***
Joe Guide
hunter

Postby dudejcb » Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:09 pm

I did some fly fishing in high school but not much.

When I graduated college I rewarded myself with my first Orvis flyrod. 8.5-foot 4 weight Adams. Now I have about a half dozen flyrods: Orvis, Loomis, Thomas & Thomas, Sage.

If you're just getting started I recommend you read Prospecting for Trout by Tom Rosenbauer. It will clarify a lot of the mysticism and terminology about fishing in general, fly fishing in particular, and about different types of water (rich, poor, freestone, tail water, etc..). Very good book for beginners and old hands.

Other thing: take up fly tying. It makes a huge difference in your success. Tying what works is a lot like hunting where the birds want to land.
What's so funny 'bout peace love and understanding?
dudejcb
hunter

Return to Fishing