The first book

For discussions about the spiritual things in ones life.

Moderators: gracenjohn, Preacher1011, La. Hunter

The first book

Postby byf41 » Mon May 10, 2010 6:57 pm

The first book to know how germs are spread is the Bible. In Lev.15:13; The jews were told to wash in running water so they wouldn't spread germs. It only took scientists 900 years after it was recorded in the bible to figure it out. They also were told not to be down wind of someone that was sick, to help them from getting the germs. The first book to know everyone's finger prints are different was the Bible, Job 37:7; He sealeth up the hand of every man that all men may know His work. It took scientists until the 1800s to get that one. The first book to know the earth is round, Isaiah 40:22 and Job 26:7. It took scientists until the 1500s to get that one. Look at Job 38:19; How did Job know that light is always moving? Job 38:24: How did Job know that light could be parted? Job 25:5; Behold even the moon, and it shineth not, ......How did Job know the moon doesn't give off its own light, but only reflects the sun's light. I could go on and on, but I'll save some for later. Isn't it interesting that some scientists are way behind the Bible, but always the first to attack it. I wonder why?
byf41
hunter

Re: The first book

Postby Bill Herian » Mon May 10, 2010 10:58 pm

Scientists in the middle east knew all of this centuries before it was written in the bible. Not like the writers of the bible, whoever they were, figured all this out themselves, it had been studied long before in eastern cultures. Europeans were just the last to figure it out.
Bill Herian
hunter

Postby byf41 » Tue May 11, 2010 2:58 pm

Bill, men didn't write the bible. They wrote what God wanted them to write.
For the prophecy came not in old time by the will of man: but holy men of God spake as they were moved by the Holy Ghost. 2 peter 1:21.
byf41
hunter

Postby mixedbag916 » Tue May 11, 2010 3:28 pm

Bill Herian wrote:Not like the writers of the bible, whoever they were, figured all this out themselves,

That sums it up right there. That shows that you don't have an understanding of the Bible.
Like previously stated, they didn't figure "all this out themselves", God gave them the words to write.
"for I can do everything God asks me to with the help of Christ who gives me the strength and power" Philippians 4:13
mixedbag916
hunter

Postby mixedbag916 » Tue May 11, 2010 3:47 pm

byf41 wrote: Isn't it interesting that some scientists are way behind the Bible, but always the first to attack it. I wonder why?

That's because science itself is a religion.
"for I can do everything God asks me to with the help of Christ who gives me the strength and power" Philippians 4:13
mixedbag916
hunter

Postby Bill Herian » Tue May 11, 2010 5:25 pm

Even if these writers were given this information by God, it was previously known. To say that the bible was the first book to "know" these thing is wrong. If God gave the information, he waited untill others already figured it out. So either God held out on the writers of the bible in favor of other people, or these scientists figured it out before God could "give the words" to the writers. The later seems unlikely assuming the power of God. In my opinion, the writers of the bible used Arisotle's rhetorical form Ethos, using God as their "credible source" and effectivley made people believe that he was the first to expose people to these sceintific discoveries. Other credible people knew this before, but who can argue with God?
Bill Herian
hunter

Postby byf41 » Tue May 11, 2010 7:25 pm

Bill, do you believe the biblical plan of salvation? That the bible says whosoever will, let him take the water of life freely. rev.22:17. That Jesus made himself responsible for you and payed the price for your sin so you could be forgiven.That salvation is a gift and you can't earn it by your good works.
But we are all as an unclean thing, and all our righteousnesses are as filthy rags; and we all do fade as a leaf; and our iniquities,like the wind, have taken us away. Is 64:6
I'm your friend and one day you will know that I care and told you the truth.
byf41
hunter

Postby 870 » Wed May 12, 2010 7:39 pm

Here is what sets the Bible a part from all other writings Bill. It took over 1,400 yrs to write the thing with nearly 40 different writers. Spanning from fisherman to statesman. When left in context all 66 books never contradict the previous book, but builds upon it, the same can be said for each chapter and verse. Yes many different men wrote the Bible, but one God inspired them. Let me break it down for you, the Old Testament is the ministry of Jesus Christ concealed. The four Gospels, is the ministry of Jesus revealed, the book if Acts, is the ministry Jesus reproduced. The epistles are the ministry of Jesus explained and last, but not least, the book of Revolution is the conclusion of the ministry of Jesus Christ. Now I know this is foolishness to you, the Bible says the things of God are but foolishness to the natural man. You seem like a man that has an open mind to many things, but seems closed off the Lord why is that?
"As long as there are Flyways and their coming our way, you'll find us right here"
State Moderator

Postby Bill Herian » Thu May 13, 2010 11:04 am

870, thank you for your words. I have not closed my mind to the lord but tend to appraoch most things with a healthy dose of skepticism. Thats what keeps me comming back I suppose. I've always been quick to accuse others of naivete and try not to let myself succumb to such a state, but this world leaves us with so many questions that we want answers to.
Bill Herian
hunter

Postby 870 » Thu May 13, 2010 4:08 pm

I think I can understand where you’re coming from Bill, for a lot of years I to was a skeptic. I only went to church because I was made to. Even after I move out of my mom’s house just before I left she tricked me into promising her I’d still go to church, she was a cunning woman. Anyway one night while in church I thought to myself “you’re a hypocrite”. At the same time there was this small speck of faith that made me say this to God. “If your real and there is more to you than this, what I’ve experienced show me” Well that little prayer was sent up to God nearly thirty years ago and to this day He hasn’t stopped showing me that there is way more to Him than what I’d experienced.

Bill please don’t misunderstand what I’m about to say. Some of today’s greatest minds are spending millions upon millions of dollars searching the heavens trying to find the source of our beginning. Now I’m not trying to come off like some Einstein I’m not, I do thank God for letting me carry that strong D average through school though. LOL I do know this… matter just doesn’t appear and all form of energy runs out. I do believe in the big bang theory. A poor translation of scripture is found in Genesis 1:3 “Then God said Let there be light” A closer translation is the original Hebrew is “LIGHT BE” When God spoke light into existence there had to be one big bang. . I to thought that Christian’s were naïve, man was I wrong, they weren’t naïve; I was just blinded to the truth. Take care man, I hope you find what you’re searching for. You see… inside of you there is a hole that you’re trying to fill with all kinds of facts and at the end of the day it’s still there. The only one that can fill that hole is the Lord. As foolish and naïve as that sounds :thumbsup:
"As long as there are Flyways and their coming our way, you'll find us right here"
State Moderator

Postby byf41 » Sat May 15, 2010 7:59 am

Bill,
I understand your skepticism. In today's world you have to be very careful. I grew up in a religion that also left me with many questions that I wanted answers to. I'll admit I'm a selfish person; and my number one question was what is going to happen to me when I die? I found the answer in the Bible. I grew up religious but didn't become a christian until I was 20 yrs old.
These things have I written unto you....That ye may know that ye have eternal life...I John 5:13
Bill,I have a small book that explains the bibles plan of salvation. It only takes a few minutes to read. I would be happy to send it to you. Send me a pm if you want it. Take care,Ron.
byf41
hunter

Postby yareelohim » Thu Sep 01, 2011 6:08 pm

I know this is an old thread...however I thought it may be of significance to post for anyone else browsing the threads.

As a bible scholar...I would have to agree with "Bill" on the point of much earlier evidence for writings beside the bible. I know most will say "God wrote the bible, not men." This is misleading. First you have to ask: What is the bible?

In short, the bible is a collection of writings, written by men who were said to have been "inspired" by God.

Good, next question: Who collected the inspired writings and who determined if a man was inspired or not?

Certain Councils of MEN throughout history have determined this for us all. The original writings which did not make the "Bible" were still compiled in the Apocrypha and Psudepigrapha. ***Research this for yourselves...along with Athanasius' 39th Festal Letter.

So the bible (Canon) we have today is a result of various councils who determined what should be included and what should not be included...it would be great for one to study this. These same councils debated theological issues such as the "Trinity." The only reason we believe in a 3-1 Godhead instead of a 2-1 or 1-1 is because of these councils which decided 3-1 is the probable, and is also why it is soooooooo hard for layperson to explain this (because they believe what a council told them to believe...rather than study for themselves).

No onto the real issue of the bible and where its writings came from. In the scholarly realm, we have a TON of evidence for writings which come well before the time of the bible. The earliest known writings come from the Uruk in Mesopotamia which is written in the ancient Sumerian. What is fascinating is, of the 1,000s of writings collected from this era, most contain the names of biblical people in Genesis and also suggest these names come from the Habiru people, which some scholars agree are a direct reference to the Hebrews.

Contained within these writings are direct parallel structures of the writing system contained within the first five books of the bible (the torah). Even direct parallels of biblical stories are contained in these earliest known writings. So how long before Moses are these writings found: c.a. 2,000 years before Moses began to write.

What else contained in these writings? Mostly laws on how to govern a land/people, but also writings on medicine and genealogies.

It would do a person well to take this information and study it more in depth.
"For the High and Exalted One who lives forever, whose name is Holy says this: 'I live in a high and holy place, and with the oppressed and lowly of spirit, to revive the spirit of the lowly and revive the heart of the oppressed." - Isaiah57:15
yareelohim
hunter

Re: Re: The first book

Postby utduck » Sat Oct 15, 2011 1:38 am

byf41 wrote:Bill, do you believe the biblical plan of salvation? That the bible says whosoever will, let him take the water of life freely. rev.22:17. That Jesus made himself responsible for you and payed the price for your sin so you could be forgiven.That salvation is a gift and you can't earn it by your good works.
But we are all as an unclean thing, and all our righteousnesses are as filthy rags; and we all do fade as a leaf; and our iniquities,like the wind, have taken us away. Is 64:6
I'm your friend and one day you will know that I care and told you the truth.

2nd chapter of James verse 17-26. Faith without works is dead.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
utduck
hunter

Re: Re: The first book

Postby utduck » Sat Oct 15, 2011 1:47 am

The first book to know the earth is round, Isaiah 40:22 and Job 26:7. It took scientists until the 1500s to get that one.

This is untrue. The Egyptians and orientals knew the earth was round. It wasn't until christianity was established that the catholic church stomped out that idea with their dogmas.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
utduck
hunter

Return to Faith-Spirituality