Duck Hunting Forum banner

competition

2K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  Bret 
#1 ·
For someone wanting to get into competition calling what call would I want to get? Would I want a single reed call or a double reed? Thanks in advance

#5 ·
Get a single reed. And you probably want an acrylic call ($100+) for the volume. A double reed won't let you hit a hail call- which you need to do to start your routine.

Try a Foiles Strait Meat Mallard- can be used for hunting and comp calling.
Or if you have the money- get the Strait Street- which is super loud and is Foiles Comp Call.

#7 ·
there are a lot of options out there for comp calls you will probabley spend a lot of money and time trying diferant ones before you find one that fits you and your style. I blow a Rowdy DOA extreme on stage I have gotten as far as 2nd in Utah state with it, and placed top three in five other contests. I went through a few of them before I found one that "slaped" the board just the right way. I like the call and think it fits me well. I own Rnt's MVP, Gidens comp call,Allen Stanleys deciver and have blown Gastons, foils, H&S, Echo, and taylor talkers "comp" calls,and there are more out there that I want to try. A Swamp Thing "High Heller", a Hadels Smokin' Susie, and sean Manns comp hybrid to name a few.
The truth is they are all good calls I love them all some I can run, and some are harder for me. If you have the chance to blow calls at a show find a comp call that really fits or give one of the call makers a call and have them build a call just for you. some of them can really hit it for you.

Try a Rowdy doa extreme they are under $100 and can sound great give Rick or Steve a call they can help you out. Pm me for the number if you decide to go that route. This call keeps improving and I believe will make the big time soon. The ring is out of this world.

as for contest info try dedduck.com the have a bunch of contests listed in there contest schedual.

I hope that helps. just My .02

Bret

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.