Scouting?

For those who enjoy duck hunting in the fields, this is the place.

Moderator: Skyblaster7

Scouting?

Postby Oklahoma Greenhead » Wed May 26, 2010 10:38 pm

how do you guys go about scouting for fields that hold ducks? what do you look for? skip over? and most importantly what agriculture will ducks eat and stay away from?
"QUACK 'em, WHACK 'em, STACK 'em"

Mashin' Mallards since 1991
Oklahoma Greenhead
hunter

Re: Scouting?

Postby GROUNDPOUND » Thu May 27, 2010 3:40 am

First Thing I try to find is the roost, not so I can hunt it but so I can watch the birds come and go. theyll tell you wich way to go to find the feed fields. spend a lot of time behind the wheel to find the most consistent feeds but they are always changing so be flexible. you find them here today gone the next. Wheat corn beans barley rice and where your at PEANUTS. I'm originally from Norman and we would go down south and catch em comin to and from the peanut fields.
GROUNDPOUND
Newb

Postby Oklahoma Greenhead » Thu May 27, 2010 8:30 pm

yeah ive seen thousands of geese dump into peanut fields out by Ft. Cobb but have never seen ducks but then again i havent looked too terribly hard
"QUACK 'em, WHACK 'em, STACK 'em"

Mashin' Mallards since 1991
Oklahoma Greenhead
hunter

Postby GROUNDPOUND » Sun May 30, 2010 12:32 am

River access was always a key for me too. My dad and I used to have an Argo so we could run up and down the South Canadian where most guys couldnt get to. Made finding sloughs and fields along the river bed alot easier.
GROUNDPOUND
Newb

Postby patrick.carrington » Fri Jun 11, 2010 5:26 am

Not sure if this helps you but I got tired of driveing everywhere. I went to the local airport and chartered a small airplane, cost about 100 bucks and we covered alot of ground in an hour. We took pictures, and marked them on the map. In the fall, 2 guys hireing the pilot cost 50 bucks a guy, you'll get 2 sets of eyes on the ground flying around, you will cover 5 times as much area that would normally take a hole day and 200 dollars in gas. Remember to that there is alot you cant see from the road. I skydive so on our way to 10,000 ft, a lot of times in the summer, I'll look for wheat fields near big bodys of water and get permission way before they even take the field down just to make sure I have a spot for the early season. It's a great way to scout if you have the opterunity and cash (also, dont do this either if you get air sick easy because the pilots like to yank and bank while you point at stuff and yea, you'll see lunch again).
Proud Supporter of DOA Game Calls
"When luck just isn't enough!"
patrick.carrington
hunter

Return to Field Duck Hunting