what is your favorite casting reel?

Fresh and salt water fishing

Moderators: Dogman, Montanafowler, MossyGO!, Kiskadinna, WSUWESTON

what is your favorite casting reel?

Postby flatbottom mudslinger » Thu May 27, 2010 9:30 am

I have used some cheap casting reels in the past, what a pain, however I did learn to use them fairly well I just never favored them over spinning reels. Last spring I bought one and spooled it with 30lb braid to use for a catfishing rig. After one cast I fell in love with it, its my favorite new combo that I use for everything, topwater, crankbaits, spinners, trolling, bass, pike, walleye. That sucker can cast a Zara Spook 60 yds and still get a good hookset. Anyway its an Abu Garcia Ambassador on a 7' Shimano MH rod Id like to pick up a few more this summer. I was going to get the same one but I want to here your opinions. Is there a better one? Whats your favorite? I dont want to spend over $100 for a reel when I can get another AG for $50 and be perfectly happy, but what else is out there?
treat every situation like a dog. If you cant eat it or hump it just piss on it and walk away
flatbottom mudslinger
hunter

Re: what is your favorite casting reel?

Postby GroundSwatter » Thu May 27, 2010 10:19 am

Shimano Citica is just over $100 and probably one of the best bang for the buck reels. I know b/c I'm still using a couple that are 6 years old. In fact I'm due to buy a couple more of them, but I've used shimano's for years and have been extremely pleased.
It's a fact that 70 percent of the people who purchase heavier tackle do so with the categorical I just lost a huge snook! Einstein Hairdo.The other 30 percent have either Tarpon Fever or are sporting a hand cramped into a claw from a deepwater grouper.
GroundSwatter
hunter

Postby swampbilly 1980 » Thu May 27, 2010 8:03 pm

My favorite is the Pflueger Summit,..
Swampbilly1980- I got a feeva',..and the only cure is more Mergansers and face paint.
swampbilly 1980
Forum & State Moderator

Postby side-slippin » Fri May 28, 2010 12:02 am

shimano fanatic here, like mentioned above citica is a good choice; there are a few cheaper ones that im sure are good reels. personally the new curado's are the best deal on the market right now i think. a little spendy for your average fisherman, but well worth it.
"Augustus...
...by-god Woodrow, it's been quite a party ain't it.
...yes sir."
side-slippin
hunter

Postby flatbottom mudslinger » Fri May 28, 2010 9:29 am

I like to consider myself as an above average fisherman, though not a professional. I dont mind paying for quality gear for anything as long as I dont go broke. $100 isnt bad for a reel that I might have around for 10 -15 years or more. However, I did check out the citica on tackletours.com sounds like a nice reel but ugly as sin.
treat every situation like a dog. If you cant eat it or hump it just piss on it and walk away
flatbottom mudslinger
hunter

Postby side-slippin » Mon May 31, 2010 11:16 pm

i would look on ebay at the new curado's then; i've routinely see them on there for $140-$160 for a single and as good as $290 for a pair of them.
"Augustus...
...by-god Woodrow, it's been quite a party ain't it.
...yes sir."
side-slippin
hunter

Postby GroundSwatter » Tue Jun 01, 2010 10:06 am

flatbottom mudslinger wrote:I like to consider myself as an above average fisherman, though not a professional. I dont mind paying for quality gear for anything as long as I dont go broke. $100 isnt bad for a reel that I might have around for 10 -15 years or more. However, I did check out the citica on tackletours.com sounds like a nice reel but ugly as sin.

You trying to win a beauty contest or go fishing?
It's a fact that 70 percent of the people who purchase heavier tackle do so with the categorical I just lost a huge snook! Einstein Hairdo.The other 30 percent have either Tarpon Fever or are sporting a hand cramped into a claw from a deepwater grouper.
GroundSwatter
hunter

Postby cuppedup50 » Tue Jun 01, 2010 10:06 pm

im with ya man abu garcia guy myself.......ive got the black max reel and really like it. gonna buy a few more of em when i get a chance.
cut em.
cuppedup50
hunter

Postby flatbottom mudslinger » Wed Jun 02, 2010 9:33 am

GroundSwatter wrote:

You trying to win a beauty contest or go fishing?
No contestant here but you cant argue about the poor color choices and the overall design....silver and gold? Come on...why not flat black?
flatbottom mudslinger
hunter

Postby MossyGO! » Fri Jun 04, 2010 11:31 am

I have 7 baitcasters. A plueger, bass pro tourney and the rest are all garcias and I'd have a hard time picking my favorite of the 5.
idahofowler wrote: i can shoulder a gun faster than anyone i know. i try to let the people i'm hunting with have the first shot because i can clean house even if i fire last. with instinct shots, no one beats me.
MossyGO!
Forum & State Moderator

Postby bayouboy » Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:54 pm

calcutta, but for the price, i like pinnacle.
The New Orleans Saints
Superbowl XLIV Champions

“I have no reason to fear the hat. I put it on my head everyday.” Coach Les Miles
bayouboy
hunter

Postby flatbottom mudslinger » Wed Jun 09, 2010 11:52 am

cuppedup50 wrote:im with ya man abu garcia guy myself.......ive got the black max reel and really like it. gonna buy a few more of em when i get a chance.
yeah thats what mine is AG Ambassadeur Black Max its a sweet little reel, its because of that reel that Im going tp equip myself ALMOST exclusively with bait casters, smooth casting, smooth reeling, and because I use it so much Im starting to get pretty accurate with it too. I think I will try a Citica too it seems to be popular on here, I just hope its every bit as good a Black Max......or better
flatbottom mudslinger
hunter

Postby bassmaster624 » Fri Jun 11, 2010 6:35 pm

i have 6 abu 5501 c3 they all are about 20 years old and still work great and not 1 of them has been in for repairs.i have a curado its probably my favorite.i also have a president on a carrot stick it's hard to beat flipping or pitching but over all i'll go with the curado.
women love me and bass fear me
bassmaster624
hunter

Postby sherlockbonez » Tue Jun 15, 2010 9:06 am

Abu C3s.
sherlockbonez
hunter

Postby pintailhunter » Fri Jun 25, 2010 7:26 pm

I,m a big fan of Shimano reels also, especially Calcuttas even though they are a little pricey. I also have a few Abu Garcia C3's, mainly for trolling. I don't have downriggers so I like that the line guides don't disengage, just count the number of times the guide goes back and forth to know how much line is out. Works great.
pintailhunter
hunter

Postby devildog28 » Tue Jul 06, 2010 10:40 pm

Abu man myself. I have a 6600.
devildog28
hunter

Postby CutEmMS » Mon Jul 12, 2010 3:04 pm

pflueger all the way :thumbsup: i have 2 supremes and a trion, all on all star rods.
CutEmMS
hunter

Postby sherlockbonez » Wed Jul 14, 2010 1:44 pm

I love my abu ambassador. I have old pro max, ultra cast, the old red C3s.

All sit on top of Loomis.
sherlockbonez
hunter

Postby devildog28 » Thu Jul 22, 2010 9:49 pm

I have a Gary Loomis designed Temple Fork Outfitters casting rod and so far really like it. It's a really great price at $100 since Loomis and TFO both put out some pricy stuff.
devildog28
hunter

Postby ks_waterfowler » Mon Jul 26, 2010 6:09 pm

Another Abu Garcia guy here. All but one of my reels is an Abu Garcia.
whistlin_wings wrote:I grew up in a neighborhood with only 3 pools and a public golf course. Thug life is all I know.
ks_waterfowler
hunter

Postby sherlockbonez » Mon Aug 23, 2010 2:31 pm

devildog28 wrote:I have a Gary Loomis designed Temple Fork Outfitters casting rod and so far really like it. It's a really great price at $100 since Loomis and TFO both put out some pricy stuff.

I stopped buying Loomis stuff since they moved away from me. I used to go into the factory with my dad and get a rod replaced on the spot since they used to be 20 mins from me.
sherlockbonez
hunter

Postby norcalweaz » Wed Nov 24, 2010 12:52 am

old post but i just have to say SHIMANO all the way. i have a few of their rods and they are hard to beat but the best bang for the buck has to be a shimano citica on a powell rod. pure lip rippin beauty
norcalweaz
hunter

Return to Fishing