sporting clays with a SXS

Trap, Skeet, Sporting Clays; pistol/rifle target shooting, to plinking cans with a bb gun.

Moderator: waterfowlhunter

sporting clays with a SXS

Postby waterfowlhunter » Sat May 29, 2010 5:22 am

I picked up a 311 SXS and tried it out on sporting clays last week. It is a full / mod gun and I was quite impressed by this gun and its performance on clays. I dropped 12 out of 50 and it "dusted" every target I hit so I was pretty happy for the first time shooting a SXS. I am going out today to try it again and try to improve a bit. I do have to install a recoil pad as it only had a plastic plate right now.

I am thinking of picking up some of the classic doubles or Bismuth rounds and trying to take some ducks with it this year. Anyone hunting ducks with an older fixed choke SXS? What ammo are you using?
"A free people ought to be armed" George Washington 1790

‘For those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.’ —Ben Franklin.”
waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Re: sporting clays with a SXS

Postby jo mcrow » Sun May 30, 2010 7:27 pm

Waterfowlhunter
I have a 1929 Parker vh that I shoot waterfowl with IC , Mod and I use Kent tungsten 5 shot.
The shells are expensive but even with six bird limit if you pick your shots it not to bad.
I also lift a glass of single malt scotch after every hunt I use this gun. The gentleman that it belong to before me gunned Ducks for 50 years with it. He is no longer with us so a toast is always in order.
I also love shooting sporting clays with this gun!!
Jo Mcrow
jo mcrow
hunter

Postby Sagebrush » Mon May 31, 2010 10:01 pm

I have a SxS 20 Ga that I puts around with, but I have out grown the stock and do not want to change it since the kids
like to shoot it and the grand kids will be old enough in four more years to also enjoy it.

Nothing wrong with a 20 Ga, just 80% less lead in the air but also 50% less recoil................
Sagebrush
hunter

Postby apexhunter » Thu Jun 03, 2010 6:56 am

I frequently take my 28 and/or .410 SxS to shoot clays and love doing it. Even though I am undergunned and am shooting a "bird" gun instead of my "clays" piece it provides good practice with my primary upland guns and is somewhat nostalgic.

If you want to see some nice guns in use you can go to a SxS shoot up there and see hundreds of people shooting anything from a $200 gun up to vintage doubles that can run into the hundreds of thousands...and the vendor tents are fun to browse through. I normally attend the Southern Side-by-Side shoot at Deep River in Sanford, NC and enjoy not only shooting in the event (they separate big and small bore stations to make it fair for everybody) but like parusing around the vendor tents looking at quarter million dollar sets of matched doubles.
"Shoot low boys...they're riding shetland ponies in search of true grit" Lewis Grizzard
apexhunter
hunter

Return to Target Shooting