How serious are you guys in the off season?

A place for young hunters to discuss topics of interest.

Moderator: captainkevan

How serious are you guys in the off season?

Postby Johann » Tue Jun 01, 2010 4:54 pm

Is it all just having fun when season is open or are any of you half like myself obsessed with not only hunting but the duck and all the elements of hunting too?

I tend to fish too, but for the mostpart i explore new hunting areas and use a lot of time scounting, i go out and i pratice with my duck call and try to see how the ducks react to it. i go through all of my equipment, see if the decoys are broke and count how many of them who are ready for "action".. and of course a lot of trips to the shooting range! Planning new stragedies on how to improve my hunting and the results of it..

For me its not just a kill or equipment you use.. its tool and tools can be used in more than one way and im constantly dealing with ways to improve and better the result.. everytime i hunt and it doesnt go the way i want to i grow in experience, am i the only one thinking like that, and what do you guys do in the off season :D?
Johann
hunter

Re: How serious are you guys in the off season?

Postby huntfishnv » Tue Jun 01, 2010 8:56 pm

I know what you mean I am absolutley obsessed withduck hunting and this is just my first year out on the water. I dont have a dog so I cant do any dog work. Im deffintly working on my calling whenever I can. Im always looking for new waters to hunt and my eyes are glued to the ski looking for ducks. As for the decoys Im always changing my lines and weights to make them more efficient and more or less tangle free :no:. Just wondering what type of call do you have?
Nick Roehl wrote:Everything I say is so damn good you need to quote it for your signiture.

Un-expect the expected
huntfishnv
hunter

Postby Johann » Wed Jun 02, 2010 2:30 am

I use a buck gardners spitfire, im pretty fond of it put havent gotten it into action yet.. I especially like the quacks which to me sounds perfectly raspy the long series are not equally as good but still makes the best call ive ever owned.. since quality calls are rare where i come from.. what about you ? im considering buying a 6n1 one of my friends have one and ive seen it work on the teals pretty good :)
Johann
hunter

Postby huntfishnv » Wed Jun 02, 2010 10:44 pm

Umm i got some custom call idk the name sorry but its seams to call in pintail really well for some reason...all ducks i shot this year were under ten yards so thats gotta tell you something :biggrin: . Its pretty hard hunting out on the public waters in Nevada, they all hide on the cooling ponds for a mining company and its pretty amazing to see well over 1000 ducks and geese on one pond. So my goal next year is to find a way for someone to let me on.
Nick Roehl wrote:Everything I say is so damn good you need to quote it for your signiture.

Un-expect the expected
huntfishnv
hunter

Postby Johann » Thu Jun 03, 2010 2:04 am

Sounds like you have some work ahead of you ! im going to recamouflage my second layout boat and perhaps gonna buy a third ! i just cant wait for the season to start.. 1st of september and ill be ready !
Johann
hunter

Postby huntfishnv » Thu Jun 03, 2010 11:51 pm

Wow, 3 boats? haha awsome i havnt gotten around to my first yet but I'll get there eventually. Where do you hunt? The season out here doesnt open till the second week in October...last year was really bad because it was colder for some reason and the ducks were done the week after thanksgiving on most places.

Un-expect the expected
huntfishnv
hunter

Postby Johann » Mon Jun 07, 2010 4:42 am

If you once decide to go hunting in denmark write me a message ill show you the boats and we can go out for some ducks :D
Johann
hunter

Postby duckman27 » Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:26 pm

During the offseason i usually shoot alot, fix the dekes, and repaint the ones that have chips. I've got the whole calling thing down to an art and just work on diferent variations of feed calls every now and then. Also spend alot of time cleaning my gun to keep it in top shape for season. I've always thought that a clean gun is one of the biggest parts to shooting well. The time in between all that is spent fishing and waiting for season to start
duckman27
hunter

Postby Greenhead killer » Sun Apr 03, 2011 2:47 pm

I'm real serious in the offseason. I am still depressed and can't get over the fact that i can't get up at 3 in the morning to duck hunt. I have been shooting clays all the time every weekend after i work at my farm for hunting. We are building a flooded impoundment. Are marsh always freezes up so we are making a flooded timber area which be real sweet for next season. I have also scouted around on a river for make shift spots for next season. only 6 more months till teal season. :sad:
Greenhead killer
hunter

Postby MIhuntr » Fri Apr 22, 2011 8:55 pm

Offseason=fishing(bass, trout, panfish)
also scouting and getting more or upgrading equipment
MIhuntr
hunter

Postby TomKat » Sat Apr 23, 2011 6:43 am

Daily: Dog training and practice calling

Once a month- Sporting clays or trap

Towards the end of summer I go thru my gear. Right now I am working on my duck boat...
TomKat
Dorothy

Postby 2500hdon37s » Thu Apr 28, 2011 1:49 pm

I work and get $$$$ to support my duck truck, buy gear, and reload.

i also trap shoot every tuesday if weather allows, and also got invited to got to our state trap shooting contest for my FFA chapter (where i am #1in the state for ag mechanics contest!), but i couldnt go because i got my wisdom teeth taken out this morning.

as well i do a lot of wetlands work on my private duck lake and with my friend on his, then cleaning, fixing, camoing my Blind on my lake. also workin on getting a duck boat.

I also do lots of things out doors, i work at a cattle farm, fishing (trout, river, farm ponds), ride 4 wheelers and motorcycles, go wheeling my truck with my friends with their jeeps and trucks, camping/ bonfires, and work on trucks with friends doing anything from lift kits to currently working on an 08 duramax thats getting twin turbos and such.
NRA and DU member, are you? if not you should be!

rabbitdundied wrote: I use my mojos in places I don't want birds to land.
2500hdon37s
Forum Moderator

Postby shootable Goose » Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:08 pm

i have been working on calling and trainging my g@y labradoodle to hunt this next season.
Bill Herian wrote:I would rather decoy ducks, but geese, geese are another story. Jump shooting geese is like playing dodgeball with fat kids. And I love dodgeball.
shootable Goose
hunter

Postby double_D » Sat Jun 11, 2011 4:38 pm

In the off season i usually work on getting more gear and upgrading as well. Also i practice calling alot and work with my dog on days where it isn't ridiculously hot outside. I like getting up to our lease as often as i can and looking for places to put new blinds based on duck patterns the year before and fixing up old ones. I take every opportunity I can to shoot clays ( i have machine). And I ride around in the boat and fish when ever I can.
"There are no words that can tell the hidden spirit of the wilderness, that can reveal its mystery, its melancholy and its charm. "
- Theodore Roosevelt
double_D
hunter

Postby HOPIN4ABOAT » Sat Jun 11, 2011 5:58 pm

Haven't quit yet, workin on getting new gear and training the pup and the hardest thing yet teaching the GF how to shoot. Its a long process but she's progressing well
Montanafowler wrote:check the jiblets real good, nothing scarier than seeing a bug biting your balls :lol3:
HOPIN4ABOAT
hunter

Postby Matt Hogan » Mon Jul 25, 2011 12:58 pm

Johann wrote:Is it all just having fun when season is open or are any of you half like myself obsessed with not only hunting but the duck and all the elements of hunting too?

I tend to fish too, but for the mostpart i explore new hunting areas and use a lot of time scounting, i go out and i pratice with my duck call and try to see how the ducks react to it. i go through all of my equipment, see if the decoys are broke and count how many of them who are ready for "action".. and of course a lot of trips to the shooting range! Planning new stragedies on how to improve my hunting and the results of it..

For me its not just a kill or equipment you use.. its tool and tools can be used in more than one way and im constantly dealing with ways to improve and better the result.. everytime i hunt and it doesnt go the way i want to i grow in experience, am i the only one thinking like that, and what do you guys do in the off season :D?

Im the same way, everything you said. Practice my calling a ton. You hunt in Denmark?
Heroes get remembered, but legends never die.
Matt Hogan
hunter

Postby Duckdog12 » Sun Aug 07, 2011 3:14 pm

i just have fun when open season starts :grooving:
Duckdog12
hunter

Postby beaverdam1 » Wed Aug 10, 2011 4:01 pm

During the week I hunt with a friend at his house. So we are always building blinds brushing them up. We found some more land to hunt on so we'll be scouting out there too. We hunt at different places on Saturday, but hunt nearly everyday at his house after school.
"Some people pride themselves on how far they can shoot ducks, others pride themselves on how close they can get them. I'm an other!!! " John Stephens
beaverdam1
hunter

Postby duckhunterzach » Thu Jan 19, 2012 6:12 pm

Oh ya, all during the off season I work to support hunting, work my dog, keep my calling up and pigeon hunt to keep my shooting skills and my dogs skills up.
duckhunterzach
hunter

Postby MossyMallard12 » Fri Jan 20, 2012 10:18 am

Yeah I'm workin' my @$$ of buying deeks, making deeks, asking permission, all that good stuff! :thumbsup:
Chillin', Killin', Grillin'!
MossyMallard12
hunter

Postby waterswater96 » Fri Feb 03, 2012 7:23 pm

I bust @zz making and burlaping geese. Building 21 foot stationary blinds practise calling. fish also during spring summer
Hilljacks at there finest.
Too many birds not enough shells.
waterswater96
hunter

Postby 2500hdon37s » Sun Feb 05, 2012 11:31 am

if it stays warm, I am going to take my 2 ducks guns out and pattern them with each of my loads I use, and every choke I have.

and I have reloaded about 400 trap loads! so now I have a total stock of over 575 12ga rounds! Including my 200duck/goose loads, and a few turkey loads. (I sold some reloads).
NRA and DU member, are you? if not you should be!

rabbitdundied wrote: I use my mojos in places I don't want birds to land.
2500hdon37s
Forum Moderator

Postby BirdBoy501 » Mon Feb 06, 2012 8:27 pm

:thumbsup: Ill be devestated :sad: :crying: that seasons over for about a week.(what im doing right now).but in a month or two turkey season comes :D.I play in foosball tournaments in the summer. :tongue: But on my Birthday (September 1st ) its the opening day of early goose and dove season.We will go Kill the local Sky rats in the morning And doves all day.we put our seats and gear at the dove field the night before the opening.We all limit out one the fist two weekends when they dont know what humans are.we will hunt all year for doves but at late season the fly really high so you cant shoot.the in another zip code in the sky.You will get a low and stupid one every now and then.but on december 3rd :welcome: .when all the ducks arent here yet.Maybe A few Fat mallerds.we will go hop coves and sneak up on ducks.we do that same on the early wood duck and teal season.when it gets to the time we go to my dad's wetland and go to a blind with 6 dozen duck decoys and some Robo ducks,and splash makers and a huge jerk string.and a couple goose decoys.And these huge groups of ducks of around 75-150 in a group split up around the whole property.when there done for the stay the meet up in the neighbors pond then head south.its just crazy watching all these ducks leave.When theres no seasonds open we fish trout year round and pan fish.We deer hunt almost every week end until duck season.i miss the end of duck season to basketball :mad: But all of these activites im thankful for what i get to do with my family :biggrin: All of this stuff is my life :thumbsup:
Wack and Stack em
BirdBoy501
hunter

Postby MossyMallard12 » Thu Feb 09, 2012 7:45 am

This off season is driving me crazy its a LOOOOOOOOOOONG time until season starts again, but the snow geese will keep me until then
Chillin', Killin', Grillin'!
MossyMallard12
hunter

Postby Duckslayer2008 » Fri Feb 24, 2012 3:14 am

!!!
Last edited by Duckslayer2008 on Fri Feb 24, 2012 3:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Duckslayer2008
hunter

Next

Return to Youth