new turkey hunter...help!

A wild turkey hunting forum for hunting turkeys in the spring and fall seasons.

Moderators: stumpjumper, MossyGO!

new turkey hunter...help!

Postby huntall6 » Sat Jun 12, 2010 12:43 am

ok, heres the deal. me and one of my friends got permission to archery hunt turkeys on private ground this next fall. i have exactly no expierience hunting turkeys. i dont know where to start. should i use a ground blind, or stay mobile. should i use a box call/slate call, or try to master a mouth call so i can call while ready to draw (i am using "master" very lightly). also what type of broadheads should i use?? any help would be much apprieciated.
steve-o wrote:Fight like a kid and you will never lose.

vincentpa wrote: My hairdresser is gay.
huntall6
State Moderator

Re: new turkey hunter...help!

Postby Ichabod97 » Sat Jun 12, 2010 5:51 am

alright, well this past spring season was my first season and this is what i learned that might help you:

- pick a spot on the ground, well camoflauged that still allows you a good field of view. STAY STILL. if you can't sit still then use a ground blind. remember, a turkey can see you blink your eye 50 yards away.

- as far as calls go...i used a plunger call. a lot easier to learn than the box and mouth calls.

- that's about all i can really tell you from what i learned this past year. turkey's have an excellent vision and they know the shape of a human...that's what makes them so hard to hunt. they do spook easily.
Nick "Ichabod"
Waterfowl Mafia

Modified Scissor Blind ppt

imaduckin up north wrote:There aint no ducks in VA
Ichabod97
State Moderator

Postby The Waterfowler » Sun Jun 13, 2010 12:45 pm

Hunting turkeys in the fall is much different than in the spring. Flocks are usually bigger and hens and Jakes will run together with a lot of the gobblers in another flock, but they may inter-mingle in feeding areas. I'd either try and bust a flock then call them back up or ambush them in feeding areas. Spring calling may not work as well as as kee, kees, etc. as birds don't gobble as much in the fall and be as receptive to hens as in the spring.
Helping waterfowl make bad decisions since 1961.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Waterfowler
hunter

Postby huntall6 » Sun Jun 13, 2010 11:30 pm

thanks guys i really apprieciate the feedback :beer:

huntall6
State Moderator

Postby kjm1022 » Mon Jun 14, 2010 4:02 pm

If you're going to be bow hunting, I would find a food plot and set up a ground blind. Most of them have shoot-thru screen windows that will keep you completely hidden, especially when you draw back. Its tough to keep movement to a minimum when you need to draw a bow. In the fall, very few turkey respond to calling, so locating them and food are your best bets and wait for them to come in. As for blades, if you are shooting thru screens an expandable may not be the best option but some are fine to do so. Most any broad head will do but there are some that are specifically for turkey, it takes their head clean off! Good luck, turkey hunting with a bow is tough, even tougher in the fall. :thumbsup:
kjm1022
hunter

Postby TNDuckHunter1 » Sun Jun 20, 2010 9:43 pm

Your the man if you pull this off. :bow: :bow: :bow:

First time turkey hunting with a bow and can't call. Good luck .........here is my plan. Try to locate the feeding areas and put a blind in the wood line and I would NOT CALL. I would hope for a walking by shot. Research where to hit with the arrow and use a large 3 blade.

Give that a try and then go after them by stalking.........But then again, who cares because you are hunting.....Good Luck
TNDuckHunter1
hunter

Postby huntall6 » Mon Jun 21, 2010 11:44 pm

well, i've never been afraid of a challenge :yes: . i just picked up a pop-up blind this weekend with shoot through windows and i use muzzy broadheads. even if i never even see anything, a bad day hunting is still better than a good day at work. :thumbsup: . thanks again for the input :beer:

huntall6
State Moderator

Postby TNDuckHunter1 » Tue Jun 22, 2010 12:30 pm

huntall6 wrote:well, i've never been afraid of a challenge :yes: . i just picked up a pop-up blind this weekend with shoot through windows and i use muzzy broadheads. even if i never even see anything, a bad day hunting is still better than a good day at work. :thumbsup: . thanks again for the input :beer:

Putting out some cracked corn will never hurt either. Check your reg's to see if you can. Tennessee has a 10 day rule. All the corn has to be gone 10 days before season or you hunt.
TNDuckHunter1
hunter

Return to Turkey Hunting Forum