Suggestions on new rifle

Discussion on shooting predators & varmits and the trapping the furbearing animals.

Moderators: Preacher1011, nitrousneil

Suggestions on new rifle

Postby TNmatt83 » Tue Jun 15, 2010 9:07 am

Hey guys I wanted to get some suggestions on a new coyote gun. I'm sure this comes up all the time so I apology if yall are tired of talking about this. I'm completely new to coyote hunting and all i have right now are deer rifles (30-06 and 30-30) and I'm wanting something smaller calibur mainly for coyotes but also something i can take out and shoot alot and have fun target shooting. We don't get alot of super far shots here in TN but something that could reach out there to 250-300yds would be nice. I'm taking a trip to a friends ranch in TX for 4 days the end of next week so i decided this was a good time to go ahead and get one. I've been looking a little at either a .223 or a 22-250 but I'm open to just about anything. So please give me some advice. I'd like to keep it around $500 so that may limit me alot. Thanks in advance guys. - Matt
Any day that starts with a cold boat ride is a good one
TNmatt83
hunter

Re: Suggestions on new rifle

Postby daffy... » Tue Jun 15, 2010 9:28 am

ruger mk77 in .223 is what i would go for.

the best predator hunter around here uses a .17. not a .17 hmr but a .17 remington. says the .20 cals is just alittle to much on fox so thats his happy medium
daffy...
Forum Moderator

Postby TNmatt83 » Wed Jun 16, 2010 8:41 am

Thanks for the suggestions daffy. I'm new to this so i was reading up on the regs on the TWRA website and it appears that centerfire ammunition is illegal for coyotes and other predators/varmints on state owned Wildlife Management Areas except during deer season. So I'm limited to rimfire the rest of the year since most of the hunting i do is on state land. I think that's pretty ridiculous and my best options are 22mag or 17hmr i guess and both seem too light for coyote. Oh well i guess i'll be taking head shots :mad:
TNmatt83
hunter

Postby Preacher1011 » Wed Jun 16, 2010 6:06 pm

I think you got that backwards. ANY centerfire cartridge is legal for deer, but rimfire isn't. Can you copy and paste what you read?
Locked&Loaded wrote: I got out shot by a 13 yeard old girl.

jrockncash wrote:Is that mask only for ghosts or can fat guys with little weiners use it too?

Preacher1011
Forum & State Moderator

Postby TNmatt83 » Thu Jun 17, 2010 8:38 am

I think you misunderstood what i was saying. I know centerfire is legal for deer, i was saying that the only time you can use centerfire for coyotes on state WMAs is during deer season. The rest of the year you have to use rimfire. I cut the section below out of page 45 of the TWRA hunting guide.

Small game hunting with center-fire rifles and shotguns: Rifles and
handguns using center-fire ammunition are prohibited for hunting
all small game species on wildlife management areas with only a few
exceptions: Rifles and handguns using center-fire ammunition are legal
for hunting beaver, bobcat, foxes, coyotes, feral hogs, groundhogs, and
crows, only during deer season and the hunter must be a licensed legal
deer hunter. Coyotes may be taken on any hunt but only with the firearm
or archery equipment that is legal for that hunt.
TNmatt83
hunter

Postby Preacher1011 » Thu Jun 17, 2010 1:02 pm

Yeah I misunderstood what you said. I knew about this law and it doesn't make good sense to me either. I guess it's better to have it just on WMA's than in the rest of the state.
Locked&Loaded wrote: I got out shot by a 13 yeard old girl.

jrockncash wrote:Is that mask only for ghosts or can fat guys with little weiners use it too?

Preacher1011
Forum & State Moderator

Postby TNmatt83 » Thu Jun 17, 2010 1:34 pm

I went ahead and bought a new Savage .17hmr yesterday with the heavy barrel. They had a used 22-250 that I really liked but I decided i would get more use out of this. All the private land i have permission to hunt isn't very close but there's several WMAs close enough that i can get to them after work so I'll just have to bring em in close and put it in their ear
TNmatt83
hunter

Postby Norsky » Thu Jun 17, 2010 6:24 pm

I use the HMR for one trapping season to finish off coyotes in the trap. I would not say it was a fast killer but it did the job. If I was in your situation I would look into buckshot or shoot for the head with the 17. Dave
Norsky
hunter

Postby ajmorell » Mon Jun 21, 2010 11:54 am

Norsky wrote:shoot for the head with the 17. Dave

^This. IMO the 17 HMR doesn't shoot a heavy enough bullet for coyotes. If you intend to use it for coyote hunting try to stay away from a VMAX style bullet that will frament on impact.
Andy
ajmorell
Forum Moderator

Postby TopGunMich » Sun Jun 27, 2010 11:19 pm

22 mag is the way to go ! Michigan is rimfire only at night, so the 22 mag is real popular for that. The bottom portion of the state is no rifle, so the 22 mag fills the bill there! Look at rimfire central .com, they debate that all the time. The heavier bullet gets better penetration and energy transfer. Lots of guys shoot the 45 gr and 50 gr bullets. Just make sure to buy an accurate one!!!!!
TopGunMich
hunter

Postby ajmorell » Tue Jun 29, 2010 10:21 am

TopGunMich wrote:22 mag is the way to go ! Michigan is rimfire only at night, so the 22 mag is real popular for that. The bottom portion of the state is no rifle, so the 22 mag fills the bill there! Look at rimfire central .com, they debate that all the time. The heavier bullet gets better penetration and energy transfer. Lots of guys shoot the 45 gr and 50 gr bullets. Just make sure to buy an accurate one!!!!!

It is legal to use a centerfire anywhere in the state during normal hunting hours (not at night) anytime other than Nov. 15th-30th.
Andy
ajmorell
Forum Moderator

Return to Predator Hunting & Trapping Forum