Mirror Blind

Share you waterfowl hunting gear tips and questions here. Including blinds, camo, clothing, etc... For decoys and calls, please see the other appropriate forums for that type of genre, Thanks.

Moderators: Quack Wacker NC, Smackaduck, HENDU3270, donell67

Mirror Blind

Postby bobalong » Mon Jun 21, 2010 9:19 pm

I have been working on a mirror blind over the past few months for goose hunting. I have been reading about them for a few years now, but they have always been quite small and used for deer or varmit hunting. The one I made will fit two hunters and is made of abs pipe, the sides are made of coroplast with mylar glued to the outside. I have not had a chance to take out into a goose hunting situation yet, but I have placed it on some different foliage and I think it is going to work. I do not want to use any camo on it at all, as this is the reason I want to use the mirror finish, as it should reflect what ever foliage there is. The only thing I am sort of stuck on is the roof, like I said I do not want to use any camo, so my plan is to suspend two or three of the flyer style decoys over the top for a roof. The blind should basically be invisible so it should just look like some geese landing. The pics have the blind outlined against trees and such but they will be used in the middle of a field where they will not outline against anything except what is already reflected on the sides. You do see a relection on the last pic, but this should not be visible in a stubble field. There will be a shadow, don't know if that will flare them or not yet though. Has any one out there tried one of these before, if so what did you use for a roof. Looking for any ideas you may have, thanks

The smudges are just finger prints that disappear when you get just a few feet away
bobalong
hunter

Re: Mirror Blind

Postby huntall6 » Mon Jun 21, 2010 11:56 pm

i know this is kinda a camo idea but why cant you put hinges on the top, take a pic of stubble, get it blown up. then attach it to some framing. attach the framing to the hinges. if you can cut some kind of holes for screens, then you would have a "see through" fold down roof. it makes sense in my head :wink: . just a thought :thumbsup:
steve-o wrote:Fight like a kid and you will never lose.

vincentpa wrote: My hairdresser is gay.
huntall6
State Moderator

Postby carolinagreenhead » Tue Jun 22, 2010 7:48 am

I think the use of a mirror is a good idea, however, what happens when the sun shines down on it? You will get a huge reflection of light which will not look natural at all. Unless, I guess, you have it hidden well enough that the sun doesn't shine on it. Just my 2 cents.
carolinagreenhead
hunter

Postby C-Hawk19 » Tue Jun 22, 2010 12:30 pm

it is like hunt tall said you will have to figure out some kind of way to make a roof that looks something like stubble a mirrored roof i just don't think would work.
You know your hunting in South Carolina when a bunch of ducks fly in and you shot both of them!!
C-Hawk19
hunter

Postby bobalong » Tue Jun 22, 2010 2:40 pm

What I am planning on doing is suspending 3 of these flyers on a short 1" pipes (about 12") above the top of the blind. It should look like three geese landing, and they will be pinned on the abs pipe so they will just spin to the side when we stand to shoot. Do you think that will work? Hard to explain, I will post pics when complete
bobalong
hunter

Postby vandeman17 » Tue Jun 22, 2010 3:24 pm

carolinagreenhead wrote:I think the use of a mirror is a good idea, however, what happens when the sun shines down on it? You will get a huge reflection of light which will not look natural at all. Unless, I guess, you have it hidden well enough that the sun doesn't shine on it. Just my 2 cents.

My buddy and I have talked about these and they sound like a great idea. I agree with Carolina though and wonder what it would be like with the sun out.... :huh: I wonder if there is something you can spray on it to keep the glare off it but still keep it's reflective abilities?
"Coming right at us! A pair of singles!"
vandeman17
hunter

Postby bobalong » Sat Jul 31, 2010 1:44 pm

More blind pics, I think the key is going to be setting a few dekes on each side of the blind so they will reflect onto the blind. Wont be long now to see if it is going to work.

bobalong
hunter

Postby daffy... » Sat Jul 31, 2010 1:52 pm

someone actually has a patient for this style blind.

i think its great marketing.

but i got a feeling its a hole lot of "bling" to flare the birds, i also notice a lot of reflecting sunlight on the ground around it
daffy...
Forum Moderator

Postby 2500hdon37s » Sat Jul 31, 2010 3:09 pm

its a good idea and is nearly invisble, but for geese id think itd refect too much sun, shine and flare the birds
NRA and DU member, are you? if not you should be!

rabbitdundied wrote: I use my mojos in places I don't want birds to land.
2500hdon37s
hunter

Postby huntall6 » Sun Aug 01, 2010 12:15 am

looks great :clapping: . i think it'll work just fine. where did you get the material for the mirrors??
steve-o wrote:Fight like a kid and you will never lose.

vincentpa wrote: My hairdresser is gay.
huntall6
State Moderator

Postby jgoetz » Sun Aug 01, 2010 3:20 am

Honestly, great work. I can see some definite plusses to this. One being as opposed to a traditional lay down there is not a ton of movement when you act and jump up to draw ont he bird. However, I do think that the reflection will tend to make more birds flare. Honestly, its half a dozen of one 6 of the other. The birds will flare late but it won't take as long to get a bead on them. However, in a traditional lay down blind (if concealed properly) the birds will practically land on you. Worth a shot. Let us know how it works out.
Talk crap, get hit!
jgoetz
hunter

Postby bobalong » Sun Aug 01, 2010 8:42 am

huntall6 wrote:looks great :clapping: . i think it'll work just fine. where did you get the material for the mirrors??

The only place I found the mylar was in a hydroponics store. They sell it by the roll, I forget how long it was, but it's 4 ft wide.
bobalong
hunter

Postby tenfingergrip » Sun Aug 01, 2010 10:59 am

Love it! Hope it works!

Were it mine, I would put a one way hinge on each of the 'lander' deke's pole at the top edge of the blind (cut the pole at that point) so they could flop to the outside (only) when you are ready to shoot. I would run a small 3/16 or 1/4 inch shock cord from the top of the pole where the 'lander' is attached, down to the middle of the top front of the blind frame. The shock cord will keep the 'lander' upright til ready to shoot, then just flip him to the side and out of the way. He'll go on his own from about 45 degrees. He'll stay down til you raise him back to upright position. When raised back up, the cord tension will hold him upright.

Just a thought.....looked like the landers may have a tendency to get in the way.
Keep us posted on the season success or failure. I like the "outside the box" thinking! Go for it!
tenfingergrip
hunter

Postby bobalong » Sun Aug 01, 2010 8:05 pm

tenfingergrip wrote:Love it! Hope it works!

Were it mine, I would put a one way hinge on each of the 'lander' deke's pole at the top edge of the blind (cut the pole at that point) so they could flop to the outside (only) when you are ready to shoot. I would run a small 3/16 or 1/4 inch shock cord from the top of the pole where the 'lander' is attached, down to the middle of the top front of the blind frame. The shock cord will keep the 'lander' upright til ready to shoot, then just flip him to the side and out of the way. He'll go on his own from about 45 degrees. He'll stay down til you raise him back to upright position. When raised back up, the cord tension will hold him upright.

Just a thought.....looked like the landers may have a tendency to get in the way.
Keep us posted on the season success or failure. I like the "outside the box" thinking! Go for it!

Actually the small pipe holding the lander dekes are pinned in the main frame. You just pull the pin and they drop down flush with the top of the frame. Have tried it a few times and when they drop they are out of the way when I stand up to shoot, but I may have to change it, to something like you suggest. thanks
bobalong
hunter

Postby Theircommited10 » Sun Aug 01, 2010 10:42 pm

Interesting concept ! Keep us posted what the birds think ! ! "root :beer: beer" -Gary
Theircommited10
DHC Sponsor

Postby goodkarmarising » Mon Aug 02, 2010 6:12 am

interesting concept, would like to know how it works, keep us posted about it.
Only number that matters, retrieves by the pup: 176
Cooper: 15
Proud owner of 2 non hunt trial/field trial fire breathers
goodkarmarising
hunter

Postby HNTFSH » Fri Aug 06, 2010 6:28 am

Agreed -interesting! Give reports...and good work thinkin' out of the box!
Cabela's Worlds FARCEMOST Outfitter
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Postby assateague » Mon Aug 09, 2010 12:13 pm

Wondered if you used Mylar panels or sheets and then glued it? I finished a small model to figure out some angles for one like this I'm making, only it'll be six panels angled slightly down in a sort of circle. Was going to make panels from 1/4" MDF and glue Mylar to smooth side, and wondered if that's what you did?
WOLVERINES

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Let a man vote to give himself a fish and he eats until society collapses.
assateague
Emu hunter extraordinaire

Postby ICDEDTURKES » Tue Aug 10, 2010 7:56 am

Cool stuff, ghost blind is the company that makes them..

I think them flying geese are going to attract too much attention to your hide.. My .02 cents
ICDEDTURKES
hunter

Postby jimmyp » Wed Aug 11, 2010 1:00 pm

man that is awsome I really like it. I wonder if you would flare the base so it was 2-3 in wider than the top if it wouldnt help keep the reflection off of the ground......other than tha i like what youve done.
Jim
jimmyp
hunter

Postby bobalong » Wed Aug 11, 2010 6:41 pm

jimmyp wrote:man that is awsome I really like it. I wonder if you would flare the base so it was 2-3 in wider than the top if it wouldnt help keep the reflection off of the ground......other than tha i like what youve done.
Jim

That would eliminate the reflection on the ground but the bottom has to be narrower than the top or the sun will reflect up into the air, which I am sure would flare the birds.
bobalong
hunter

Postby MagnumLoad » Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:46 am

How did this work Bobalong?

you should have had a couple years use since 2010.
what was the result?

I am considering doing something similar, my idea is to take a 330 gal chemical tote
and secure it to the bottom of our pond. (curtain box style)
The tote is 52" high, so there will be a foot or so exposed.

In replace of mylar, I was going to use the highly reflective window tinting...
Hopefully that will take the weather, I intend to leave it out season long.

Thoughts Anyone?
MagnumLoad
hunter

Postby tenfingergrip » Wed Aug 15, 2012 10:58 am

What are the dimensions of the chemical tote? Reason I ask is there is going to be a tremendous amout of pressure on whatever you use to secure the blind down. I've had huge (4x8x4.5) concrete septic tanks that I use for sunken blinds in impoundments pull up 6 mobile home anchors out of the ground and the blinds (tanks) are weighing over 6 thousand pounds in addition. Do your math first and save you some headache and heartache.
tenfingergrip
hunter

Postby MagnumLoad » Wed Aug 15, 2012 5:35 pm

LOL

We, too, have had septic tanks squirt out of the ground like a zit on a teenagers forehead!

I just found a better tote option, somewhat less volume that previous.
The totes I have in mind are 530 Liters and 175#

If I displace the entire volume 140 gal/18.4 ft3
I calculate 1197.7792 lbs of ballast

1200lbs is just about 2 X 12 foot of 6" pvc pipe filled with sand.
The totes have molded pallet/forklift entry on all 4 side.
I was going to slip some planks through and roll the pvc on top of them.

That is my thought....what am I missing?
MagnumLoad
hunter

Postby STEVE IN SOCAL » Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:09 pm

MagnumLoad wrote:
That is my thought....what am I missing?

I think you're missing a good idea.. :lol3:

Sounds like a lot of work, hope It's on the x.
I've seen those traffic bumpers they use on the highway that are filled with sand. They look like a trash can on steroids. Figured they would be a good one man blind, but weighting them down would be really hard.
If you're doing this before you flood it may be easier.
STEVE IN SOCAL
hunter

Next

Return to Hunting Gear Forum