Keeping warm in the marsh?

A place for women who love the outdoors to meet and discuss things important from her prespective.

Moderators: Outdoor Gal, LadyK, NorCal Cazadora

Keeping warm in the marsh?

Postby MrsJumpshooter » Wed Nov 30, 2005 12:55 pm

Ok I have asked the guys and tried there ideas and I am still freezing in the marsh.. What do you ladys do to keep warm in the marsh?
I hunt it, Therfore I cook it too!
MrsJumpshooter
hunter

keeping warm in the marsh

Postby hunter20046667 » Wed Nov 30, 2005 2:04 pm

try taking a couple of asprin before going out .it helps thin the blood and gets the circulation going better ,no booze the nite before and eat before going out . like the ducks we hunt they need food to keep them warm so do we .dont get to hot going in ,you sweat and then chill not good . insulat from the ground and keep you feet and hands and head warm and the rest will follow.
killem all let the cook sortem out, umm good
hunter20046667
hunter

Postby huntingwidow » Thu Dec 01, 2005 12:32 pm

Lots of layers. I always buy my outer layer a size or two to big (boots too) so I can wear at least 2 layers underneath.

I know they aren't camo but Carhart bibs and a carhart coat always keep me nice and toasty. I guess you could always buy camo way to big to fit over them.

DH also found these hot packs that stay warm for 8 hours (the kind you are supposed to put on your belly for cramps). I think they make them for hands and boots too. I think you are supposed to keep your extremities warm so your body can work on keeping the important parts warm instead. Could be the onther way aroudn though. lol

My next investments are going to be stuff thats water proof to keep the damp out.

Also, make sure you keep you neck, mouth and nose covered. I don't like the neoprene face cover personally. There is another one called a Balaclave thats light but is more comfortable.

And of course a good hat is always necessary. Gotta love a good stocking cap.

Don't put your socks and boots on if your feet are cold. I've found that that just insulates the cold in. Get them nice and warm before putting your boots on.

Oh yeah and an extra pair of gloves. I always get mine wet while helping with decoys so now I try to take one pair for that and two more to wear while waiting for the ducks. Or waterproof gloves. I haven't gotten any of those yet.

Most of this is from 4-wheeling and sledding experience so I'm still trying it out in the marsh. Most has worked so far though. Cold is cold right!

I will quit now that I've probably told you more than you ever wanted to know. lol Good luck out there. Hope you have a truck that heats up fast so you get to warm up on the way home at least.
huntingwidow
hunter

Postby Duck U 2 » Thu Dec 15, 2005 2:49 pm

Hot Hands toe warmers. Put one in each boot, and the heat rises all day. Keeps me really warm. :mrgreen:
Duck U 2
hunter

Postby WesternHunter » Sat Oct 28, 2006 4:07 pm

Hi I'm a guy. I've found that a good warm hat with good warm socks/liners, and good gloves go a long way towards keeping you warm. If I have these things, I can go without my hunting jacket down to 32°F. If you haven't already bought a good insulated waterfowlers jacket then invest in one. Good ones can cost a bit, but it will be one of the best investments you'll make in hunting gear. If you still have problems then I find that those chemical heat packs work well in real cold situations too. Just layer smart. For heat retaining layers nothing beats wool or heavyweight polarfleec. Also consider wearing some drab colored stretch fleece as a base layer next to your skin. The big problem with waterfowl hunting is that most of the hard workout is getting to the hunting spot, setting up and then packing out when the hunt is over. Between those times there is a lot of minimal movement and that standing still will make you feel cold real quick.

If none of the above works for you then just snuggle up with me, I'll keep ya warm. Joking, Only a Joke!!!
WesternHunter
hunter

Postby uglyduckling » Fri Oct 12, 2007 12:02 pm

I put my clothes in the dryer and get them all warm before I put them on. Then I also get those little hand and foot warmer packs and put some in my boots and keep some for my hands too!
I like to bring hot chocolate as well!
uglyduckling
hunter

Postby crewchief252 » Fri Oct 19, 2007 1:18 pm

All the above are good tips, but to me the most important is keeping your feet warm and dry, use a size too big boot with some layered socks, check skiing supply stores and catalogs, they have these thinsilate socks that are super thin but super warm with a pair of hunting socks over them, and it is super important to be able to wiggle the toes and have a little room to move your feet around in there
Just once i would like to hear you scream in pain !....wanna hear me scream in pain? Play some rap music!
crewchief252
Forum & State Moderator

keeping warm

Postby HotDog » Fri Oct 19, 2007 3:05 pm

a layer of polypropolene (spelling?) next to your skin removes moisture and makes a huge difference. follow with either sweats, fleece, or wool then a waterproof insulated outerlayer.

I've been able to stay on deer stands for the whole day in sub-zero weather.

Bring lots of carbs for food also.
WTN10 wrote:
"Why do you assume I'm a genius? Have you ever considered that I'm average and that you're retarded?"
HotDog
hunter

Postby Natimage » Mon Oct 29, 2007 2:26 pm

I'm a guy too but in order for my girlfriend to have fun in the marsh and field she has to be warm. So I invested in Under Armour for her...best thing EVER! We both wear under armour cold gear pants and long-sleeve mock turtle neck...It's not terribly cheap...but it is FOR SURE worth it! At least get the mock turtle neck and once you love that getting the compression pants will just seem logical. And I use them for running track, snowboarding, ice fishing, shoveling, watching football games, and obviously hunting, it's very versatile and definitly worth the investment.

*I sound like an under armour ad, but i really have no affiliation with them...enjoy! :thumbsup:
Natimage
hunter

Postby feather_duster » Fri Nov 23, 2007 2:14 pm

smartest thing for you is get underaumour cold gear best stuff u can get for the base layer.. also u can get drake waterfowl coats the best they make u can never get cold in them.. if u cant spend the money for drake then get a herters 4 in 1 parka there good also i had one of them b4 i got drake one... has far has feet get wool socks.. and hands browning makes nice thin ones so u can still shoot with the gloves on.. if u girls can call good then u can get averys calling gloves those are very good also.. soooo drake underuamour herters and good gloves and socks are they way to go =]
cut'em
feather_duster
hunter

Postby n8hhorn » Tue Jan 08, 2008 11:08 am

hey there. i know we men are incroaching on a womens thread, but nat and feather nailed it on the head. if you can afford it underarmour and drake make an unbelievable pair. i figured this out last year and have been warm ever since. hope it helps.
n8hhorn
hunter

Postby NorCal Cazadora » Tue Jan 15, 2008 9:53 am

I used to live in Minnesota, and my last year there I was training for a marathon during the winter, so I got some really good cold weather tights and shirts - fleece-lined and breathable. I wear that stuff on every hunt.

Any athletic gear rated for cold weather will do - you certainly don't need camo undergarments. Just remember, get stuff rated for colder temps than what you hunt in, because most of that gear is made for people who are running or hiking, not sitting still like duck hunters.
Holly Heyser
Editor, California Waterfowl Magazine
NorCal Cazadora
Forum Moderator

Postby cannon » Thu Mar 27, 2008 1:04 pm

1. 5 mm neoprene waders, 1200 gram thinsulate or more.
2. good sox
3. neoprene sox to go over said good sox.
4. insulated goretex bibs.
5. thermal underwear
6. jeans or sweats
7. long sleeve t-shirt
8. long sleeve sweat shirt
9. insulated shirt over sweat shirt
10. insulated parka, preferably breathable, and certainly waterproof and windproof.
11. heavy head/face mask
12. good gloves.
13. thermos with black coffee

That's my wife's cold morning wardrobe.
Smell that? Smells like sumthin died in here.
cannon
hunter

Location: At the stop sign in the ditch at Byers Farm, unlocking the gate.

I am a guy but have a few tips on staying warm

Postby BigBirds » Sat Aug 02, 2008 2:00 pm

First Under Armor. I use it under my bullet proof vest while working with the Sheriff's Office. It helps wisk sweat away while your setting up and also helps to keep you warm in the winter and comfortable during teal season. Second wool socks sometimes when it is real cold I put on a pair of cotton socks under them. Third I like to use a wool face mask. Not the cheap one spend a couple of bucks on it. Last but not least a good 3 in 1 parka.
Ps. if any of yall want to hunt in Southeast Louisiana let me know.
WAIT!!! let him land first
BigBirds
hunter

Re: Keeping warm in the marsh?

Postby FOWLGAL » Sat May 09, 2009 3:34 pm

I have found the answer. THERMACARE BACK RAPS!!!! I use them all the time. I had back surgery and everytime I go out in the cold my back muscle tighten up and I always get cold quick but I love to hunt so for years I suffered, then one day I tried the back wrap for a tower shoot in january, it was great it was freezing and snowing and the only thing i was wearing was a sweatjacket and no glove everyone asked me if i was cold or nuts but I was toasty. The heat sit above your kidneys and it warms the blood that is being circulated and if you are doing any activity you will be hot. If its cold and I am just sitting I put in my shoes a warmer (they came out with full insole warmers) they are great in the bottom of your waders. I have actually been warm and my husband said he was cold and I wasn't, that was a first. I also only wear a drake equader, and a thermal shirt and thats it and I am hunting in Dec and Jan on the east coast.

Try them $5 for 2 and you can get them everywhere. I wont go hunting with out them!!!
FOWLGAL
hunter

Postby btboutdoors » Thu Oct 28, 2010 6:59 am

the only thing i can think of is cuddiling next to me
btboutdoors
hunter

Postby winewin » Tue Dec 14, 2010 11:37 pm

For deer or pheasant hunting I wear used military/army supply wool socks and wool mittens. The wool "trigger finger" mittens have worked awesome. I plan to try them for duck hunting next year if it is cold.

Seems like we often have rain in Minnesota during duck/goose season, so for me keeping dry is key.

I also usually buy a huge box of hand warmers for my mittens/boots as soon as the season starts!

Jennifer
http://www.flodenfarm.com
winewin
Newb

Postby Quackity Gal » Thu Dec 16, 2010 11:59 am

winewin wrote:For deer or pheasant hunting I wear used military/army supply wool socks and wool mittens. The wool "trigger finger" mittens have worked awesome. I plan to try them for duck hunting next year if it is cold.

Seems like we often have rain in Minnesota during duck/goose season, so for me keeping dry is key.

I also usually buy a huge box of hand warmers for my mittens/boots as soon as the season starts!

Jennifer
http://www.flodenfarm.com

Jennifer,

What type of hand warmers are you using?

I purchased the ones from Wal-Mart. I either got 5 sets of malfunctioning packs or they really don't work! I tested a pack after the hunt, and came to the conclusion that they'll only work if it's moderately cold outside (50+) and dry. Not the typical hunting conditions I'm in.

Thanks!

-Quackity
"The ability to quote is a serviceable substitute for wit." - W. Somerset Maugham
Quackity Gal
hunter

Postby Dep6 » Wed Jan 05, 2011 5:00 pm

Make sure you check the expiration dates on the hand and foot warmers when you buy them, I found some expired and they didn't work fresh out of the pack.
Saving the Poodles of America, one Alligator at a time!!
Dep6
Site Admin

Return to Outdoors Women Forum