I thought it was a little late for Wood ducks.......

New York goose hunting and duck hunting. This is the place to discuss it all.

Moderators: DukBum, 870

I thought it was a little late for Wood ducks.......

Postby CLUTCHfan » Wed Nov 30, 2005 5:08 pm

........but I was wrong. Went out Sun AM and had two groups of two woodies come into my spread. I took one down after one of the pairs swam around in my decoys for a half hour. I did wait for them to take off. Had one drake mallard come in, and about sixty mergansers. I had about 200 ducks that thought it would be funny to sit about four hundred yards away from me and call away all the ducks that were eyeing my spread. I had the canoe, so I wasn't about to risk paddling over to scare them away. On the plus side, it gave me some time to construct a ground blind with the blow downs in the area. I'll hunt in the blind this weekend as long as one of my load-bearing twigs hasn't broken under the strain. The water levels are extremely high around here, and hopefully they'll go down before this weekend.
TNAL45 wrote:I like my beer like I like my violence....Domestic.
CLUTCHfan
Former DHC Ball Buster

Location: Behind the facade of this innocent looking bookstore.

Postby MarshMonger » Fri Dec 02, 2005 6:51 pm

Clutch- Those out of range birds can destroy a mornings hunt, almost every time that happens to me the birds drop right in on the live ones. My solution (which has worked well) is to keep a couple light loads like trap or skeet loads in another pocket and blow em off, get that flock the hell out of there, passing birds will take closer looks and drop into your spread, I have done this a few times this season and it has saved a mornings skunk, especially with the bluebills. As for your late woodies, My buddy got one thanksgiving morning and we are way the heck up in the NE corner of the state, also got a gw teal drake last week...picked him out of a flock of 10+ birds, there are some stragglers here and there :smile:
MarshMonger
hunter

Postby Iluvetwins » Fri Dec 02, 2005 7:30 pm

MarshMonger wrote: My solution (which has worked well) is to keep a couple light loads like trap or skeet loads
they have non toxic shot in trap and skeet loads? dont let DEC catch you with them if there not.
Iluvetwins
hunter

Postby MarshMonger » Fri Dec 02, 2005 9:21 pm

Yeah u can get em, some gun clubs who shoot over water are steel only, i bet those shellcracker things would work well too.
MarshMonger
hunter

Postby Iluvetwins » Fri Dec 02, 2005 9:46 pm

the spotman shells are cheap, also good for shooting cripples on the water. :thumbsup: i think there olny 7 or 8 $ a box
Iluvetwins
hunter

Postby CLUTCHfan » Sat Dec 03, 2005 1:04 am

Unfortunately, they were sitting right in front of some camps/residences. I was hunting a point, and if I took a shot it would have been right at shore. They were far enough away that it would have been legal, but I never would have felt right doing it. That doesn't mean I didn't think long and hard about it though.
TNAL45 wrote:I like my beer like I like my violence....Domestic.
CLUTCHfan
Former DHC Ball Buster

Location: Behind the facade of this innocent looking bookstore.

Return to New York Duck Hunting