Quail vs. Waterfowl

Pheasant, turkey, dove, grouse, partridge, quail, squirrel, rabbits, etc.

Moderators: The Cat Island Drake, birddog crazy

Quail vs. Waterfowl

Postby Wings and Waters » Wed Jul 07, 2010 9:42 am

I hail from the Midwest where I was a hardcore archery hunter, chasing around the big corn feed Whitetail. I moved to the Southwest last summer (where I am still bow hunting) and due to more species to hunt, and longer seasons, I am looking to get into either Quail hunting or Waterfowl hunting.

Waterfowl hunting has always been very interesting to me. I enjoy the weather (even the crap weather), the decoys, the calls, the game, the guns, the dogs, everything. There is nothing that I do not enjoy about Waterfowl hunting. The main issue I have now is that my state is not a Waterfowl hunting mecca. There are birds, but not many. I have also had a couple of offers from individuals to take me out and show me the ropes here.

On the Quail side of things, I am in THE Quail state, period! I have a co-worker who lives and breaths Quail hunting and English Pointers. This individual has already told me that he will take me out as often as I want (he hunts over 60 days a year). He also told me he will show me everything I want to know with regards to English Pointers ( I currently, let me rephrase, the fiancee currently has two Siberian Huskies that I bought for her). Upland hunting has been fun and I have shot many a Pheasant back in the Midwest. Quail are new to me, but the opportunity for me is there.

Life being what it is, and finances being what they are, I can only get into one of the two, to start. Eventually, I will do both and enjoy doing both. Personally, I "think" I would enjoy Waterfowl more, however, this state has very few birds. I do "think" I will enjoy Quail hunting. So I ask, what would you all do?
Wings and Waters
hunter

Re: Quail vs. Waterfowl

Postby ks_waterfowler » Wed Jul 07, 2010 3:47 pm

If I lived in an area that still had quail I'd be a quail hunting fool. Grew up chasing them with my dad and our dogs. I'd look for a German Shorthair pointer if I were you. In your climate with an interest in duck hunting as well it would be a great fit for you.
whistlin_wings wrote:I grew up in a neighborhood with only 3 pools and a public golf course. Thug life is all I know.
ks_waterfowler
hunter

Postby KAhunter » Thu Jul 08, 2010 11:15 am

I would say both. If I had somewhere to quail hunt in NC or VA I would hit the ducks in the morning, quail in the afternoon as much as I could.
"If you have to be crazy to be a duck hunter, i dont wish to be sane" Robert Ruark

Its always duck season, there is just a long break from february to september.
KAhunter
hunter

Postby FlyFishingFreak » Mon Jul 26, 2010 1:48 pm

Quail hunting is cheap. Waterfowl is not. If money is a problem go with upland.
quail: shotgun, 7.5 shot, vest, sunscreen, food and drinks. Thats about it.
Waterfowl: shotgun (preferably camo, 3.5"), expensive shells steel or other, decoys, decoy weights an line, decoy bag, calls (goose or duck or both), camo/waterproof clothing, waders, gear bag, and more stuff.
FlyFishingFreak
hunter

Postby Silverwidgeon » Mon Jul 26, 2010 9:21 pm

I hunt quail and I hunt waterfowl. If i had to choose between the 2, it would be waterfowl through and through.
Like flyfisher said, it's a lot cheaper going upland.
"At times like these it's best to remember that there have always been times like these."
Silverwidgeon
hunter

Postby jimmyp » Tue Sep 28, 2010 6:36 am

I hunt both, my dad had a setter when I was young and I went with him a few times, but have always chased the few small coveys with my lab, I just got a GSP last wintwer and am planning to put a ton of miles on him in the fall. I like waterfowl hunting but the last few years it has been hit or miss, i spent as much if not more time chasing quail than I did ducks last year. truthfully you could get all of the duck hunting stuff and substitue one of the veristile breeds (GSP, GWP, VIZLA, etc.) for a lab since you are int he south west cold wont be a big deal, and do as others have said and hunt one in the AM and one in the PM.
Jim
jimmyp
hunter

Postby kr01641 » Sat Jan 01, 2011 2:54 pm

Get a weimaraner and start chasing both.you will not regret it.Except for how crazy and energetic they are!
"When you have shot one bird flying you have shot all birds flying. They are all different and they fly in different ways but the sensation is the same and the last one is as good as the first."

Ernest Hemingway (1899-1961), Winner Take Nothing
kr01641
hunter

Postby duckwagon » Tue Sep 20, 2011 2:31 pm

my chessie even likes to chase a quail when he can but both of us would rather watch for ducks any day
duckwagon
hunter

Postby apexhunter » Wed Sep 21, 2011 8:16 am

Having hunted quail virtually all my life and turning onto waterfowl while in college some 27 years ago I can empathise with your situation. Like Fly mentioned, quail hunting is relatively inexpensive as all one needs is a good pair of boots, briar pants and some decent #7.5/#8 shells. But with a bit of saving up for a good jacket and waders if needed (many waterfowlers have multiple pairs of waders so you might possibly borrow a pair from your buddy with the offer to take you) you can definitely do both as any 3" shotgun will suffice for both ducks and upland. Also, since you do have the opportunity for a tag along hunt you do not have to invest in all of the basic necessitiesup front just to see if you truly like waterfowling.
"Shoot low boys...they're riding shetland ponies in search of true grit" Lewis Grizzard
apexhunter
hunter

Postby FLTXduck » Sat Oct 22, 2011 2:12 pm

If you CAN do both, then both. But between the two.....ducks, ducks and more ducks. I went duck hunting a few years ago just to give it a shot and see how it was. It now consumes my life. It is the sweetest addiction there is. For those lucky enough to see the joy in the cold,wet,muddy swamp when they lock up on your spread and drop down. Nothing better.
FLTXduck
hunter

Postby FLSpringer » Sat Apr 07, 2012 6:58 pm

It all depends on what type of hunting you want to do, and what kind of guy you are. Quail hunting is very clean, you don't get dirty, and it's very gentlemanly. Duck hunting, on the other hand is pretty dirty work. At the end of a hunt, my dog, my decoys, my gun, my boat and I, are all pretty much covered in mud. I love duck hunting, but I also love quail hunting, they are both fun, but just different. If you want a real treat, try quail hunting with a flushing dog. It's not better than hunting with a pointer, just a different experience, but I love it.
FLSpringer
hunter

Postby don novicki » Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:52 am

Get a Drahthaar and you can go after everything out there. If I had a chance at quail esp . if someone is going to teach me the ropes I'd be all over it. If there are as few birds as you say then waterfowl can fill in when needed.
don novicki
hunter

Postby CutEm214 » Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:23 am

I would echo what most of these guys said and go for both, but mainly for the quail. If you're in a place now that is known for great quail hunting and not so great waterfowl hunting that should be a pretty good sign. Depending on how far you would have to travel for ducks, it can get expensive. Besides, you'll have tons of opportunity to hunt ducks all over the place...not many can say they have access to good quail hunting, and those numbers get smaller and smaller every year.
CutEm214
hunter

Return to Upland Game