Duck Hunting Forum banner

Bow hunting turkey from a pop up blind

3K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  cnggack 
#1 ·
Fellas, I am going to try the stick and string for a fall bird. My question is this. When using a pop up blind do you guys leave the front window netting down the entire time? It looks like the TV guys go black facemask and shirt and leave the front windows pretty much wide open. Is this correct?

Thanks for the advice! :thumbsup:

#2 ·
You just don't want to siloutte (sp) yourself. When I am bowhunting them, I leave my front flaps open with the shoot thru mesh in place. I might peek out the back or sides, but I leave them closed. If I know the direction the birds approach from I'll just barely fold up the corner of another window so I can peak out. I just slide the shoot thru mesh out of the way when I am ready to loose an arrow. I love hunting out of the pop up so much after I got mine with the bow I killed one out of it with my gun. Remember when shooting them with a bow "shoot em high watch em die, shoot em low watch them go". I shot alot of birds with a gun, but my first bowkill ever was a gobbler this year and it was an absolute rush.

I also recommend expandables over fix blades. Largest cutting diameter you can find. I have buddies that used the gullitine, but ever time it leaves the bow you will be replacing blades and they get expensive.

#3 ·
my dad has taken numerous birds with a bow from a blind...he uses ultra thin camo netting across the windows and just shoots through it..only have two windows open at one time-and never to opposite of each other so you will not be silhouetted against the open window behind you...and yes- wear black and use black face paint so you can draw without interference!! :thumbsup:

#4 ·
I guess the shoot thru mesh is what I am asking about, not necessarily the window. So some shoot thru the mesh while some slide it out of the way? Would an expandable get fowled in the netting if I tried to shoot through it? Sorry that I am asking such specific questions (and that I may seem dense!) Thanks!

#7 ·
For turkeys I leave the mesh off the window in front that I plan to shoot out of and the rest closed behind and to the sides I do leave the mesh on some off the other fornt windows that I'm not shooting out of. The dark holes in the windows don't scare the turkeys as much as deer

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.