Scissor Blind Jon Boat project **UPDATED & FINISHED**

A duck boat forum to discuss duck hunting boats, mud motors, and everything related.

Moderators: jamesmc, Dogman, NCSUDucker, nitrousneil

Scissor Blind Jon Boat project **UPDATED & FINISHED**

Postby carolinagreenhead » Sat Jul 17, 2010 6:50 am

My boat is a 1232 that I got in January when I started working on it. I started out replacing the lights that were already on it. When I did that the entire electrical system fell apart on me, so I had to rewire it completely. I got a set of KC's to put on it. I went to the in-law's house and scrounged up some 3/4 square tube steel and welded a light bar and put it on. The out-law's also had some old aluminum signs that have been there for years. I grabbed them up and built a floor out of it. I put wood underneath so they don't sag when you walk on it. I primed and covered them with liquid rubber. On top of that I sprayed it with truck bed liner in a can to give me a rough texture for grip.

On to the blind. It is 3/4 conduit. I bent it where I needed and put 1/2 in inside it so it doesn't sag. Welded the joints and added a roof. Now with a 1232 size boat, weight is a major consideration plus you probably won't stand to shoot (unless you want to swim) so everything is made with weight in mind, plus the blind comes up to eye level so I can sit to shoot. The roof is set to give me plenty of head room so it sticks out on the side about 4 to 6 inches. Now, I wanted to make the blind as versitle as possible so I used the ole' imagination and made some brackets to hold one side up. So with this blind I can use it any of 3 ways. I have a pull strap that runs across the middle (pull it and both sides fall), I have the strap with the brackets I made which holds one side up (so pull the strap and one side will fall), and I put hole pins where the two sides cross (both sides stay up and just push the roof back to shoot). I put some pipe insulation on the frame to keep it from crashing so bad and camo duck tape on for frame camo.

Next was the paint. I got some stencils from a very nice forum guy here (find his stencils in the classifieds). I also got some Parker's paint and went to town. 2 coats of Parkers rolled on and on to the stencils. It was a fun project. I don't have the camo material yet but I'm gonna put some camoclad on it with raffia. Let me know what you think.
Attachments
Duck Boat 01.jpg
Day 1
Duck Boat 16.jpg
aluminum floor
Duck Boat 18.jpg
Blind with roof
Last edited by carolinagreenhead on Sun Oct 24, 2010 6:32 pm, edited 4 times in total.
carolinagreenhead
hunter

Re: Scissor Blind on my 1232 Jon

Postby carolinagreenhead » Sat Jul 17, 2010 6:54 am

More pics.
Attachments
Duck Boat 20.jpg
front bracket to hold roof side up
Duck Boat 20.jpg (32.1 KiB) Viewed 31561 times
Duck Boat 21.jpg
rear bracket to hold roof side up
Duck Boat 21.jpg (25.24 KiB) Viewed 31550 times
Duck Boat 22.jpg
upper pull strap
Duck Boat 23.jpg
blind complete
Duck Boat 24.jpg
blind frame camo
carolinagreenhead
hunter

Re: Scissor Blind on my 1232 Jon

Postby carolinagreenhead » Sat Jul 17, 2010 6:57 am

A few more pics. The only thing left is blind camo. I will update when that is complete. Thanks for looking.
Attachments
Duck Boat 26.jpg
Duck Boat 28.jpg
Duck Boat 33.jpg
Duck Boat 34.jpg
Duck Boat 35.jpg
carolinagreenhead
hunter

Re: Scissor Blind on 1232 Jon Boat

Postby Ichabod97 » Sat Jul 17, 2010 7:56 pm

looks good so far man. I see you used bimini top hardware on it. Question i have is what size end caps & slide on piece did you use for the 3/4 emt?

I'm about to start on my blind and my friend and i did some measuring and on our 3/4 emt there is nothing 3/4 about it. Outside diameter is just a hair over 7/8, and inner diameter is more than 3/4.

Thanks for posting all those pics because without them we would not have thought to use bimini top hardware. I helped another friend of mine build a blind last year that we used all season. Held up great, but we used angle iron with holes in it to mount it to the boat with bolts. it worked, but the whole thing could have been simpler if we had thought of the bimini hardware idea.

Here are a few pics of the blind we did last season. We ended up adding more burlap and unravled twine after these photos were taken.

Nick "Ichabod"
Waterfowl Mafia

Modified Scissor Blind ppt

imaduckin up north wrote:There aint no ducks in VA
Ichabod97
State Moderator

Postby carolinagreenhead » Sat Jul 17, 2010 8:06 pm

Looks good. Use 7/8 bimini hardware and a heat gun. That will make the plastic expand enough to get it on there. Just don't melt it.
carolinagreenhead
hunter

Postby Ichabod97 » Sun Jul 18, 2010 6:01 am

roger that man...thanks again!
Nick "Ichabod"
Waterfowl Mafia

Ichabod97
State Moderator

Postby Mark F. Cheney » Sun Jul 18, 2010 8:17 am

I use a 30.00 heat gun from Harbor Freight to do the heat shrink for the battery cables on my motors. It would be excelent for softening the Bimini hardware. I used to use a torch. The heat gun is the way to go.

Mark
utahmarshmotors.com on the Great Salt Lake marsh

801 721 3293
Mark F. Cheney
DHC Sponsor

Postby bayouboy » Sun Jul 18, 2010 10:54 am

good job carolina. :thumbsup:
The New Orleans Saints
Superbowl XLIV Champions

“I have no reason to fear the hat. I put it on my head everyday.” Coach Les Miles
bayouboy
hunter

Re: Scissor Blind Jon Boat project

Postby carolinagreenhead » Tue Aug 03, 2010 9:48 am

bump for more to see.
carolinagreenhead
hunter

Postby Ichabod97 » Tue Aug 03, 2010 12:03 pm

update on my progess. thanks again for the idea of using bimini hardware. i ended up buying the 7/8" hardware and astrobud311 helped me mill out a bit of them on the lathe at work. looks like they will work great. we are going to frame out our blinds this week.

i am putting together a powerpoint presentation on how we built our blind as well. figure this might help out some of the other members.
Nick "Ichabod"
Waterfowl Mafia

Ichabod97
State Moderator

Postby hopkins11 » Tue Aug 03, 2010 1:39 pm

I would realy like to see that .PPT!
hopkins11
hunter

Postby Ichabod97 » Tue Aug 03, 2010 3:49 pm

hopkins11 wrote:I would realy like to see that .PPT!

send me a PM with your email. Once it is finished i will email it to you. Should be completed within the next 2-3 weeks.
Nick "Ichabod"
Waterfowl Mafia

Ichabod97
State Moderator

Postby deltacottonboy12 » Tue Aug 03, 2010 9:50 pm

Great job Carolina. Glad to see the stencils worked out will for you.
http://www.camostencil.com contact me and get the Duck Hunting Chat discount on your order!

Fool me once, Strike one. Fool me twice, strike three.. Micheal Scott
deltacottonboy12
DHC Sponsor

Postby carolinagreenhead » Wed Aug 04, 2010 11:02 am

Updated pics with a tarp on it as a liner. I sprayed some paint on it to cut down the glare. Worked good.
Attachments
Duck Boat 41.jpg
Duck Boat 41.jpg (10.04 KiB) Viewed 29593 times
Duck Boat 39.jpg
Duck Boat 39.jpg (10.34 KiB) Viewed 29582 times
boat 3.jpg
boat 2.jpg
boat 1.jpg
Last edited by carolinagreenhead on Tue Aug 24, 2010 4:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
carolinagreenhead
hunter

Postby Ichabod97 » Wed Aug 04, 2010 11:19 am

lookin' good man! :thumbsup: the rig looks like it is coming along quite well. have you decided what you are going to use for camo material?
Nick "Ichabod"
Waterfowl Mafia

Ichabod97
State Moderator

Postby carolinagreenhead » Wed Aug 04, 2010 12:06 pm

I;m gonna use some of that camo clad leafy material from Cabelas and put some raffia grass on it. Need to watch the weight for a boat this small.
carolinagreenhead
hunter

Postby isuhunter » Sat Aug 28, 2010 2:28 pm

AWESOME!!! I'm just headed out to get my boat and start my blind. I'm trying to make something similar and am not sure exactly how tall to make the blind. What is your linear distance on your angled conduit end pieces from the base/mounting to the curve?

Again, pretty awesome! I like your lights on the front too! What are you going to use for a motor?
isuhunter
hunter

Postby carolinagreenhead » Sat Aug 28, 2010 8:26 pm

isuhunter wrote:AWESOME!!! I'm just headed out to get my boat and start my blind. I'm trying to make something similar and am not sure exactly how tall to make the blind. What is your linear distance on your angled conduit end pieces from the base/mounting to the curve?

Again, pretty awesome! I like your lights on the front too! What are you going to use for a motor?

I appreciate it. I don't know the actual distance but I made it to run the gunnels. It comes up to about eye level when it's up. I can measure it next time I have it opened up. I have a 3.5 Johnson that I have for it. Working on it now. It won't start for some reason.
carolinagreenhead
hunter

Postby isuhunter » Sat Aug 28, 2010 8:35 pm

I appreciate it. I don't know the actual distance but I made it to run the gunnels. It comes up to about eye level when it's up. I can measure it next time I have it opened up. I have a 3.5 Johnson that I have for it. Working on it now. It won't start for some reason.

Ok cool. Thanks.

How did you fasten your conduit to the boat? I've seen people us gate hinges. I couldn't get zoomed in to look at it. I'm going to fastenal Monday to pick up supplies.

EDIT: Looks like I found one with the attachments to the boat. Looks like a plastic end cap/fitting for the conduit. Very cool!
isuhunter
hunter

Postby carolinagreenhead » Sat Aug 28, 2010 9:37 pm

isuhunter wrote:

Ok cool. Thanks.

How did you fasten your conduit to the boat? I've seen people us gate hinges. I couldn't get zoomed in to look at it. I'm going to fastenal Monday to pick up supplies.

EDIT: Looks like I found one with the attachments to the boat. Looks like a plastic end cap/fitting for the conduit. Very cool!

Bimini hardware. Do a google search for it and you have everything you need. Use 7/8 size bimini for 3/4 conduit and a heat gun.
carolinagreenhead
hunter

Postby Flint » Sun Sep 05, 2010 4:14 pm

Your boat looks great. How are you going to shoot out of your boat? Will you shoot from a sitting position or standing? I have a 12' tracker with a 32 inch botton and its not stable enough for me to stand up in without takeing a swim.
Flint
hunter

Postby carolinagreenhead » Sun Sep 05, 2010 5:59 pm

Flint wrote:Your boat looks great. How are you going to shoot out of your boat? Will you shoot from a sitting position or standing? I have a 12' tracker with a 32 inch botton and its not stable enough for me to stand up in without takeing a swim.

Mostly a sitting postition. Like yours, this one isn't big enough to stand without getting wet either unless is backed up on the bank or stabilized somehow.
carolinagreenhead
hunter

Re: Scissor Blind Jon Boat project **UDATED & FINISHED**

Postby carolinagreenhead » Sun Oct 24, 2010 6:30 pm

Finally finished the camo. Give me your thoughts.
Attachments
Duck Boat 45.JPG
Duck Boat 46.JPG
Duck Boat 47.JPG
Duck Boat 48.JPG
Duck Boat 49.JPG
carolinagreenhead
hunter

Re: Scissor Blind Jon Boat project **UPDATED & FINISHED**

Postby Ichabod97 » Sun Oct 24, 2010 6:56 pm

looks like a duck slayin' machine! nicely done man...let us know how it works out or even some photos of it out at the hunt!
Nick "Ichabod"
Waterfowl Mafia

Ichabod97
State Moderator

Re: Scissor Blind Jon Boat project **UPDATED & FINISHED**

Postby carolinagreenhead » Mon Oct 25, 2010 7:55 am

Ichabod97 wrote:looks like a duck slayin' machine! nicely done man...let us know how it works out or even some photos of it out at the hunt!

Thanks a lot. I appreciate it. I appreciate the help to.
carolinagreenhead
hunter

Next

Return to Waterfowl Boats, Motors, & Boat Blinds