pepper spray

A forum to discuss home defense and personal defense to keep out crime.

Moderators: La. Hunter, badandy970, Montanafowler

pepper spray

Postby cut_un » Tue Jul 20, 2010 11:59 am

My daughter ask me to buy her a can of pepper spray. Where could I find it without ordering it on line?
Big Al's" Take 'Em" Silhouettes Pro Staff

Team Chasin' Feathers
Eastern Shore Rod & Gun Club
Share your passion, take a kid hunting!
cut_un
hunter

Re: pepper spray

Postby Preacher1011 » Fri Jul 23, 2010 9:13 pm

Just about anywhere. We carry it at Gander so I'm sure Bass Pro and other places would have it. Make sure you check your state law on carrying it though. Some states you have to be 18 and in other states there are certain formulas you can't carry at all. In TN it doesn't matter your age or anything. If you can get it and legally carry it get pepper spray that has both the Caspium (pepper) and tear gas in it. A small percentage of people are not effected by caspium alone and the tear gas will get them. Sabre uses both in their gas.
Locked&Loaded wrote: I got out shot by a 13 yeard old girl.

jrockncash wrote:Is that mask only for ghosts or can fat guys with little weiners use it too?

Preacher1011
Forum & State Moderator

Postby hairyheadhammer » Tue Aug 03, 2010 7:32 am

Hey dude any store that carries sporting goods should have it, my daughter asked for the same stuff so I got her a small concealable one in pink at Gander. I believe Wally World carries them in sporting goods also. Good luck and you gotta keep em safe, my baby will be getting her concealed carry permit for her 21st and the pink 40cal auto she has been admiring. My little pirate carries a pretty mean looking blade now when she isn't in school (they frown on self defense) and she is pretty good with it. I am proud.
Good luck.
"the man who is not a liberal in his youth has no heart, the man who remains so as he matures has no brain"
Winston Churchill
hairyheadhammer
hunter

Postby devildog28 » Sun Aug 08, 2010 2:52 pm

Probably going to have to stick to your high end sporting goods stores. Gunshops most definatly will have it along with tasers. Make sure to get OC and not just mace. OC is much stronger.

I carry Punch 3 OC when I walk to class because here in TX I can have my concealed gun on campus but I can't enter actual buildings with it.
devildog28
hunter

Postby La. Hunter » Sun Jul 31, 2011 2:16 am

You can check with you local police supply store, if there is one in your area.

There are several things she should know before carrying pepper spray though. The 1st thing is to make sure it is in fact legal in your area. 2nd is that pepper spray has a very nasty habit of affecting all parties involved, especially if spraying it into the wind or if she is an area that has little ventilation. The bad thing is, when it is time to use it these are usually not factors that you can control. If she is forced to use it in these situations, they are both likely to become incompacitated and you better hope that it wears off of her before it wears off on the other party. I may be wrong, but I believe it takes around an average of 30 minutes for the effect to wear off if the person isn't decontaminated with water immediately afterwards. Even with water, it still burns like hell for a while. 3rd is that it doesn't always effect everyone, especially the 3 d's (drunk, drugged or deranged). I have personally seen people sprayed that just look at you afterwards and aren't affected at all. I have also seen people that are only slightly affected and become extremely violent after being sprayed.

We had to certify with pepper spray before we were allowed to carry it at our department. The reason we had to be sprayed with it is so that we would actually realize that lethal force could be justified if we had to defend ourself from someone with pepper spray. As soon as we were sprayed, we had to cover our weapon to protect it and fight our way to our unit and call for help. None of this is easy when you can't see or breathe. I have been exposed to it enough now that I am a lot more immune to it than I was the first time i was sprayed. However, it is still some pretty bad stuff.

By the way, the last time I volunteered to assist with the new officers that were being OC (pepper spray) certified, they only sprayed it on the tip of a q-tip and rubbed it right above the officers eye (singular, not plural). It still affected them, but not like the full blast of the spray. Unfortunately, the 1st time they have a "real" experience with it could be a real fight for their lives.
La. Hunter
Site Admin

Postby swampwise » Mon Aug 08, 2011 8:58 am

She should definitely experience exposure to the OC before she carries it. The above post is right, if you spray someone, you're going to get some on you, and you need to know what it feels like to prevent panic. It's possible to fight through, and you should know what it feels like so it doesn't catch you by surprise.
assateague wrote:
Indawoods wrote:I had a great, great aunt born with a vestigial tail. :lol3:

That was your great, great uncle. Tell him to turn around.
swampwise
hunter

Postby FMFdevildoc » Thu Aug 11, 2011 10:51 pm

X2 - just a little exposure is inevitable with O.C. spray; one of the disadvantages. Insure she knows to clearly understand that prevailing winds will cause overspray onto the user.

The military made me get doused with copious amounts, then go through an obstacle course of training batons vs. punching bags... at Fort Sill, Oklahoma... in the Summer.

Given the choice of being tazed or O.C. sprayed again? I'd take two 5-second rides on the tazer versus being O.C. sprayed vigorously about the face - neck.

Needless to say, O.C. spray IS effective - yet should only serve as a tool to augment her egress and allow for her to gain / distance and separation from a potential scumbag.
Why? One inquires why? Because, AMERICA !!
FMFdevildoc
hunter

Postby duckwizard » Wed Sep 28, 2011 12:00 am

I agree with most on OC being very effective( way better then mace). When I was certified to carry OC on duty I got hit with Fox Labs and it hurt me real bad. Took me almost an hour to get over it. It effects everyone differently , and In my case I dont want anything to do with it. I do not carry it on duty anymore because I feel it when discharging evertime. I prefer my tazer or asp when it comes down to it. Tazer changes attitudes real fast and they dont have to go in the squad after exposure ( at our department if we expose someone to oc they automatically have to ride the squad to the hospital.) protocol...... I understand your daughter isnt a policer officer and doesnt have an x-26 readily available, so OC is a good choice. Just make sure she understands possible outcome of using it. :thumbsup:
The wicked flee when no man pursues.
duckwizard
hunter

Return to Home and Personal Defense Forum