River hunting?

A waterfowl discussion forum focusing on Kansas duck hunting.

Moderators: T Man, Mallyard, dukhntr, yellowlab

River hunting?

Postby elsnide » Fri Dec 02, 2005 1:19 pm

Any river duck hunters around? For us the real season starts now!!! Can't wait to get at those river mallards and goldeneyes.
elsnide
hunter

Postby SpringHill Duckman » Fri Dec 02, 2005 1:41 pm

El,

I grew up hunting the Ninnescah River down by Cunningham and shot the heck out of mallards on the back waters and bends. That was some of the best times. I lost all of that land when Mr Hayden decided to let land owners sell deer permits to New Yorks. :pissed: $10,000 mends a lot of fence compared to a good old boy hunting for free. But that is for a different thread.

Now up here in KC not a lot of river hunts available but the guys back home are already doing well I here. Pound one for me!!! :thumbsup:
You are welcome to join us on in outdoor adventures in Kansas. Come along for the ride at www.kansasoutdoorsman.com ~ This is our outdoor adventures of Kansas Hunting and Fishing!!!
SpringHill Duckman
hunter

Postby elsnide » Fri Dec 02, 2005 7:10 pm

If I lost my favorite spot to some New Yorkers I think I would go insane. So where do you hunt in the KC area?
elsnide
hunter

Postby Shawneeduckhunter » Sat Dec 03, 2005 2:33 am

Around the topeka area done quite a bit of hunting. more geese then anything else, yet you can still fool them with black milk jugs.
Shawneeduckhunter
Newb

Postby Riverjumper » Sun Dec 04, 2005 11:29 am

I was out at quivira yesterday....the normal 20 min hike took over an hour and 20 min!!! We Spent an hour trying to hike across the lake while busting ice. All the birds have moved out too..... gonna hunt the river today! :thumbsup:
Riverjumper
hunter

Postby yellowlab » Sun Dec 04, 2005 8:37 pm

started river hunting today too
limit of green but i love this time of the year duck hunting is great and i hunt geese in the feild so all is good :thumbsup:
yellowlab
Forum & State Moderator

Postby SpringHill Duckman » Mon Dec 05, 2005 10:07 am

Elsnide,
I hunt at some of the local lakes and marshes around the KC area. Every now and then I make a trip back to central KS to get my fix and shoot some easy limits. But I still find enough ducks to keep me excited around the KC area, it's the goose hunting I really miss.
You are welcome to join us on in outdoor adventures in Kansas. Come along for the ride at www.kansasoutdoorsman.com ~ This is our outdoor adventures of Kansas Hunting and Fishing!!!
SpringHill Duckman
hunter

Postby elsnide » Mon Dec 05, 2005 9:22 pm

Hunted the river this morning and was surprised to see very few ducks. I only saw about 20 goldeneye and zero mallards. I really thought it would be good this weekend. Maybe the weather wasnt cold enough and the ducks are on rivers up north and lakes here. Im gonna try it again this weekend i hear the lakes are starting to freeze. I actually live in the KC area also. I hunt Flint Hills and Rivers. I also go a few times a year to Jamestown or places in the Central Kansas area as well. Grew up in Salina.
elsnide
hunter

Postby quackattack1991 » Tue Jan 30, 2007 7:12 pm

What is the best river to hunt around wichita area
quackattack1991
hunter

Postby Captain16 » Wed Jan 31, 2007 8:11 am

I've never hunted a river around the Wichita area. I would say your best bets would be the Ark River or the Ninnescah (SP?). I usually just hunt the main lakes around here.
Captain16
hunter

Postby quackattack1991 » Thu Feb 01, 2007 12:21 am

like what el dorado and cheney
quackattack1991
hunter

Postby Captain16 » Thu Feb 01, 2007 8:15 am

Yeah, I do like Hunting those places, but there are a handful of other places around. You just have to scout, scout, scout. There were plenty of birds around this year. I wouldn't waste your time scouting now as the birds are pretty much gone with all of this ice. Where do you and your dad normally hunt?
Captain16
hunter

Postby quackattack1991 » Thu Feb 01, 2007 11:32 pm

well i hunted alot in oklahoma this year and only went to the bottoms, el dorado and cheney here but we found a few places on mapquest that were gonna go look at its unbelievable in oklahoma
quackattack1991
hunter

Postby jarhead72 » Fri Feb 02, 2007 8:42 pm

quack I am from Wichita and hunt within a hour from here and limited out 5 times this year on 2 man hunts and once on 3 man hunts. You are definetly not scouting well enough b/c there were tons of birds this year around. Best river in Ks to hunt is Ninnescah south fork that is if you hunt it between kingman and pratt you will get lots of birds. Main lakes around here El dorado, Marion and most definetly Cheney me and captain shot them up at Cheney.
jarhead72
hunter

Postby quackattack1991 » Sat Feb 03, 2007 1:10 am

on the north side theres a real good spot at cheney it looked amazing but we only killed one maybe we caught it at a bad time
quackattack1991
hunter

Re: River hunting?

Postby MOLE » Thu Dec 20, 2012 7:37 am

I will be hunting the Ninnescah River west of kingman with my dad this weekend. Fist time waterfowl hunting. any pointers about hunting on that river would be great. haven't picked my spot yet just got permission from the land owner.
MOLE
Newb

Postby mudpack » Thu Dec 20, 2012 3:04 pm

If your dad is a also first-time waterfowl hunter, then this forum doesn't contain enough space for all the tips you could use. Best tip I can give you is read all the books on waterfowl hunting you can and then apply the information you find therein. Rivers are just bodies of water, like any other body of water only with real current.
Good luck and be extra cautious; rivers seem benign but can hurt you in a hurry. I might recommend that if you haven't been on that stretch of river this year, do not try to be set up at legal shoot time. Wait until sunrise to start finding a spot. Walking down an unknown river in the dark can be troublesome; you need light the first time.
mudpack
hunter

Postby MallrdKillr » Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:13 am

IMO River Hunting is 10x more fun then hunting in a marsh. Hunted South of Emporia yesterday and shot 4gadwalls 1 gwt 1 mallard had a lot of ducks come in before shooting hour. But I have yet to see a Goldeneye in the river area that I am hunting. But this river is also a smaller river. But going out this afternoon in a field, that has a few ducks and mixed color geese in it. If anybody in the emporia area wanna go sometime more then happy to go PM if interested
MallrdKillr
hunter

Postby Kansie Pansie » Fri Jan 04, 2013 5:02 pm

We are hammering them on the river right now! Complete tornadic chaos. And to think "season is typically closed right now"!!

But don't forget the #1 rule of duck hunting. You gotta go to the ducks. You can't expect to set up on a river and kill a limit without doing your homework.
Kansie Pansie
hunter

Postby OKCAT » Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:17 pm

Ninnescah river was loaded with ducks and geese last weekend. Like everyone mentioned, you have to know where they are snoring to land. Wind direction is pretty important as well, as it can push them a few hundred yards, just out of range. We had a south wind last day of the season and while we did get our limit, they wanted to lande about 150-200 yds to our south.
OKCAT
Newb

Postby mudpack » Tue Jan 08, 2013 4:46 pm

OKCAT wrote:Wind direction is pretty important as well, as it can push them a few hundred yards, just out of range. We had a south wind last day of the season and while we did get our limit, they wanted to lande about 150-200 yds to our south.

And those guys who were set up 400 yards south of you had a completely different perspective on the wind and its affects on the ducks..... :lol3:
mudpack
hunter

Postby OKCAT » Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:58 pm

Well luckily it's still all on the same land so no one else was there. But stil frustrating :crying:
OKCAT
Newb

Return to Kansas Duck Hunting