fishpoint

Discuss Michigan hunting and share your duck hunting secrets here. From lay out boat hunting on the great lakes to the stubble fields.

Moderators: waterfowlhunter, quackerkiller

fishpoint

Postby quakerwaker » Mon Oct 11, 2004 10:38 am

Can anyone tell me how fishlake is in the later part of the season. (around 1st of Nov.) I would like to take my two boys up to hunt FP for ducks. Do we need to bring our boat or...?

Thanks for your help,
Dan
quakerwaker
Newb

FISH LAKE

Postby MJB9138 » Sat Oct 16, 2004 11:43 am

USED TO BE GOOD, BUT HASNT BEEN MUSH OF A PRODUCING LAKE LAST COUPLE OF YEARS. DPENDS ON WETHER GUN LAKE GET HUNTED HARD

HAVE BEEN TO FISH POINT LODGE AND RENTED A BLIND AS FAR AS THE REFUGE, THEY SAY A BOAT, SMALL AND LIGHT IS BEST, AND WHAT I COULD SEE OF THE AREA DRIVING BY, I'D AGREE

GOOD LUCK
HUNT OUT OF A TDB
MJB9138
hunter

fp

Postby quakerwaker » Tue Oct 19, 2004 3:11 am

I called up to the fishpoint lodge and they are booked through November. I think I am going to wait until this summer and shoot up there to get to know the area some.

Thanks,
Dan
quakerwaker
Newb

Postby flyway04 » Wed Nov 10, 2004 9:01 pm

hey im new to this site but i hunted @fish point lodge and fish point game area nov 3-5,lodge was nice we rented blinds on bay,got 4 ducks in am all divers,seen lots of ducks.but the game area was cool lots of mallards,and geese,lots of water,we walked to each blind,and feild.but a canoe would be fine ,not enough places to do much with a boat?,i printed a map from dnr site was helpful. i would surely go back,people there helpful, good luck!!
flyway04
Newb

Postby Steverinobambino » Wed Nov 24, 2004 6:37 am

Small boat for managed area, at least 14' or larger up and down the bay. Fish Point used to be great 10 or so years ago even when the limits were lower. It seems to be on the decline for the obvious (too many people, ignorant hunters, weather, etc). That being said, it is still a good place to show your kids some of the finer points..good luck
Steverinobambino
hunter

Fish point

Postby duhunter5 » Tue Nov 30, 2004 6:59 pm

Yea I was lucky enough to get into the draw for opening day. It was the greatest hunt that I will probably ever have. We shot 4 limits in 2 hours. I HIGHLY recommend signing up for that draw online for opening day. Otherwise throughtout the season it gets pretty shot up. But you will most likely always get some ducks. On the boat point I recommend have a small boat for the refuge, and larger for the bay. In the refuge though the boat will most likely just be used to haul of your gear to your spots...Hope that you enjoy your trip
Eat, Sleep(just a little), Hunt, Fish...
duhunter5
hunter

Re: fishpoint

Postby kylebennett7127 » Thu Oct 17, 2013 4:47 am

Fish point has had a few down years but it provides a ton of value for the entire area.

If you take a boat you can hunt the bay. Come early and scout the water for a great spot. Set up for the right wind and have a blast.

You can also hunt the draw as well without a boat and the refuge itself.

Late season hunting has always been great near fish point. Its very easy to watch the birds flight pattern when they leave the refuge to feed in the fields. Any old farmer will give you permission to hunt and you can have some really crazy days shooting in a hot field.

I grew up with a cottage on fish point(which has been gone for several years) and my dad was a world class duck caller. We had an amazing time in FP growing up.
kylebennett7127
Newb

Re: fishpoint

Postby waterfowlhunter » Fri Oct 18, 2013 5:13 am

I probably spend 15 to 20 days total in the draw areas and this year it is not near as good in years past. 4 days up there so far and barely getting limits where in years past I would be walking out by 9am. Not near as many geese this year either and I blame it all on the lack of food. The crop / cover is poor at best in most zones but there is water. I have been hunting it since it opened in the 70's (as a managed hunt area) and at one time the zones would have thigh deep water. Now your lucky to have it just deep enough to float decoys but it is due to the low water levels in the bay making it hard to pump water for the zones (thank you Chicago). I use 16 to 18 foot boats on the bay but in the zones I use decoy totes or my deer carts to haul the gear out. hoping to buy a cabin on the bay next spring so I can spend more time there :thumbsup:
"A free people ought to be armed" George Washington 1790

‘For those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.’ —Ben Franklin.”
waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Return to Michigan Duck Hunting