Goose migration underway!

Learn and share Illinois river duck hunting with other duck hunters. Have fun and tell your best hunting jokes about Illinois.

Moderators: lostpup, MM, Illinois-Ducker, huntall6

Goose migration underway!

Postby Pete-pec » Sun Dec 04, 2005 6:44 pm

Hello all you Illinois Boys! Went hunting tonight, and the migrators were in full throttle. Of course not a one was interested in our spread, but you know how that is when they are determined to get somewhere.You'll be happy to know they will be heading there through the night. The geese didn't fly yesterday at all, then got caught up in the snow, and it is cold enough to freeze any water not moving at a pretty good speed. The Rock River is getting locked up pretty tight, but still a few holes to hold the geese and Goldeneyes, but not for long! Well they started to move here right around 3PM, and they never stopped. In one hours time we saw a couple thousand geese in their non-residential formation. Nothing but pretty V's with constant rotating of the lead birds. The last day we shot geese, (Friday) we shot 5 out of the 8 that were rust stained, and our locals don't have any rust. So you gotta know that these birds came from some stained water. Hence northern birds. I'm sure you had a push already, but this is the big one, bringing some less schooled birds. So shoot the lips off them, and give me some updates! 12-4-05 @ 6:30 PM

-Your northern neighbor, Pete
Pete-pec
Forum & State Moderator

Postby likesbigspreads » Sun Dec 04, 2005 7:18 pm

Thanks Pete. I saw a few migraters today in central Illinois but we have 3-4 inches of snow. Wondering if they will keep going to the end of the snow line :thumbsdown:
likesbigspreads
hunter

Postby Pete-pec » Sun Dec 04, 2005 7:48 pm

If they move to the end of the snow line that will be good news for the clubs trying to make a living. I know with the numbers of geese that stay through the winter here, that things have got to be rough for the past few years. Often times the geese here don't even migrate, and probably your locals as well. Just as long as they can keep one of the local parks open enough to water, and there isn't too much snow to prevent them from feeding, they'll usually sit it out til better weather. After I made the previous post, I was outside with the dog, and there were still big numbers flying in the darkness, coming from the north. Good luck!
Pete-pec
Forum & State Moderator

Return to Illinois Duck Hunting