Looking for hunting partners

Waterfowl topics at their best, post here and read others views on Vermont duck hunting

Moderator: yellodog1

Looking for hunting partners

Postby penobscot » Sat Aug 07, 2010 1:38 pm

Hello.

This will be my 3rd year hunting in VT. I grew up hunting in New York. I'm 30 years old, trying to get serious about duck hunting. It's tough to find decent spots when you don't know anybody. I have a couple dozen dekes, a mojo deke, a canoe, and a camo cover for it. I want to get out a lot this year, and explore new spots. Last year I had a good opening day then got skunked the next few times I went out. I like to wade into swamps, but would love to learn how to hunt open water. I'm willing to go scouting, help build a blind, and share my gear. Age and experience don't matter, I'll hunt with the old wise duck hunters, or the young dumb ones. Just as long as you are a safe, ethical hunter. Also interested in goose, grouse, and deer hunting.

Matt.
penobscot
Newb

Re: Looking for hunting partners

Postby pete/pmr » Tue Aug 10, 2010 8:14 pm

Are you living in Vermont now? And if so where,and what area are you trying to hunt?
2013 Season Totals

Canada Geese 105
Mallards 43
Woodies 31
Teal 16
widgeon 8
Blacks 11
Goldeneyes 25 "Take-em"
Buffleheads 4
Bluebills 1
snows 27
Band Count 5
pete/pmr
hunter

Postby LBeinhaur » Thu Aug 12, 2010 5:08 am

Where do you live, I am looking for people to go on occasion as well.

Loyd
LBeinhaur
hunter

Postby penobscot » Fri Oct 08, 2010 5:27 pm

I live in Winooski VT, outside of Burlington. Just hunted the lower Lamoille WMA after work. Tomorrow I'm going down to Little Otter Creek. Haven't checked this forum in a while, I'll try to check in more often.
penobscot
Newb

Postby SWG » Sat Oct 09, 2010 11:52 am

Hey Matt,
I'm on the younger (30's), dumber end, but I'm looking for some folks to hook up with too. Not too many hunting partner prospects where I work in Burlington. I got into duck hunting just a few years ago. Its addictive! I generally hunt the northern half of Addison County. I've got a Whaler and canoe to get on the water. Never actually used the Whaler for duck hunts, but there's a 1st time for everything. Used the canoe a bunch. PM me if interested. Good luck this season!
Scott
SWG
hunter

Postby tench » Sun Oct 10, 2010 6:05 pm

I go to UVM and don't have class until 11:45 every monday and wednesday and am done early in the afternoon most days. I have everything but dekes...
tench
hunter

Postby VT_Diver-Junkie » Mon Oct 11, 2010 2:24 am

tench wrote:I go to UVM and don't have class until 11:45 every monday and wednesday and am done early in the afternoon most days. I have everything but dekes...

You should take a ride to ****'s or shoot over to Plattsburg and get some dekes there pretty cheap right now!! Now that ****'s has expanded they have a lot more choice in waterfowl gear, you can get a dozen for about $35-$50 depending on the brand and type of decoy... Check it out!! Welcome to the site.. Oh and UVM i hope you like it, my gf goes there and is a senior she hates it there the professors there don't really teach she says and i will admit a lot of people there i can't stand and they don't like hunters :no: I picked her up with all my gear and my face all camo and so girl and guy started saying how wrong of a person i am, i asked if they wanted to see dinner for tonight :thumbsup: :tongue:
Theres nothing like frostbite and gunpowder in the air!!!!
VT_Diver-Junkie
hunter

Postby Burlingtonblaster » Mon Oct 11, 2010 7:58 am

I'm also a UVMer and get some crap from a few of my outta state friends about hunting and then also from stupid trust fund hippies about how it's inhumane to hunt... I just ask them where that chicken there eating came from and what kind of chemicals it took to raise it.. thats usually a conversation ender. :lol:
When people ask me what my favorite season in Vermont is, I simply reply. Duck
Burlingtonblaster
hunter

Postby RangerX » Mon Oct 11, 2010 8:16 am

Burlingtonblaster wrote:I'm also a UVMer and get some crap from a few of my outta state friends about hunting and then also from stupid trust fund hippies about how it's inhumane to hunt... I just ask them where that chicken there eating came from and what kind of chemicals it took to raise it.. thats usually a conversation ender. :lol:

Or explain the 270 million dollars that went from DU donations to buy up wetlands for wildlife conservation in 2009. I find those neo lefty acorn munchers to be a bit narrow minded when it comes to what is right and wrong... You're better off just telling them... "yea, you are right".... that's all they care about anyway.
RangerX
hunter

Postby tench » Mon Oct 11, 2010 1:44 pm

I don't mind it here aside from some of the people and yeah alot of the teachers do anything but teach... I try to get home to Enosburg as often as I can. I've gotten in many arguments in dining halls and the davis center about being humane and animal rights and such, it definately makes things interesting... Chicks dig the country boy stuff though if you play your cards right :wink:
tench
hunter

Postby pete/pmr » Mon Oct 11, 2010 2:26 pm

Okay you guys are we looking for hunting partners or dates? Lake is closed and opens back up on the 23rd for ducks and on the 20th for geese!So lets get some hunts planned? I have goose decoys and an extra coffin blind,now who wants in? Gonna have to meet 1/2 way,I hunt in Shoreham-Bridport area,and drive from North Clarendon to there in the mornings to hunt,willing to take one of you newbies out if you are willing to travel to Shoreham,RTE 22a,can meet up at the mobile truck stop,reason I hunt down there is because I am not going to hunt north of 125,because we are only allowed three geese south of 125,it is hardly worth setting up all the decoys and everything,for three birds a day,but if we have more than one person,well it is worth it,so drop me a pm!

2013 Season Totals

Canada Geese 105
Mallards 43
Woodies 31
Teal 16
widgeon 8
Blacks 11
Goldeneyes 25 "Take-em"
Buffleheads 4
Bluebills 1
snows 27
Band Count 5
pete/pmr
hunter

Postby NW_Vermont » Tue Oct 12, 2010 7:39 am

Hello all new DHC members!

If you new members have looked around DHC, you will see that many newbs get a very, very cold reception when looking for partners. I applaud you new members and the regulars who have chimed in on this thread and others being so welcoming. Let's keep the Vermont welcoming (but cautious) thing happening.

I'm a UVM grad, too, so I kinda know where some of you are at. I've usually got a full boat with an eager young son, so I don't have many opportunities to invite people along. It's pretty cool that some of you are bringing equipment and knowledge to the table to share and then asking for help for the rest.

Hunting without an experienced mentor definitely slows the learning curve.

Keep participating here and spending time in the field to learn all you can.

NW_Vermont.
NW_Vermont
hunter

Postby magogwhacker » Tue Oct 12, 2010 9:29 am

Yea...what he said.

I graduated from Middlebury in 1990 and have lived here ever since. You college guys should take advantage while you can, get out there and hunt your *** off before you're all married and mortgaged. Vermont has some awesome waterfowling if you look for it. It is cool to have someone show you things, but you'll really appreciate the knowledge you gain from just getting out there and trying it.
What? There's open water? Its not cold enough.
magogwhacker
hunter

Postby tench » Tue Oct 12, 2010 9:47 am

I've had some great opportunities down here being so close to the lake and such. I'm from Enosburgh so most of my hunting has always been done further inland so the big water game is something new to me and I enjoy it. Good luck to everyone with the second opener approaching...
tench
hunter

Postby pete/pmr » Wed Oct 27, 2010 9:06 am

I do believe that the younger generation is in need of mentors as you can see from how many young adults you see out there,the sport we so enjoy is going to die off with out the recruitment of the younger generations! And that too me is important,because the sport we all so love is filled with traditions,and without the new hunters it will die, and so will our traditions! How many of us have memories as youths going to deer camp,or walking thru the fields, jumping pheasants or quail or partridge,or sitting on the bank of a river with your grandfather shooting ducks or fishing,walks in the woods looking for deer,the smell of the camp,and wood stove,or seeing that first buck while sitting beneather a tree with your Dad! Or not being old enough to go to camp,and how much you so wanted to be there,and how you could not wait to be included,or sitting around with your uncles at family get-to-gethers, and hearing the stories from past seasons,creating a image in your head that you so wanted to live out! These are the things we will loose as we allow the younger generations to miss out on these wonderful tradition,because they were never given the chance to experience them!
I guess it is easy to be distracted now from these traditions with so much going on in the world of computers,and the fast paced world in which we live,and they are being raised in,and it is up to the older generations to give them the chance to see it,and maybe get them hooked on the traditions of the sports we so love!
2013 Season Totals

Canada Geese 105
Mallards 43
Woodies 31
Teal 16
widgeon 8
Blacks 11
Goldeneyes 25 "Take-em"
Buffleheads 4
Bluebills 1
snows 27
Band Count 5
pete/pmr
hunter

Postby duckattack8 » Thu Nov 04, 2010 4:50 pm

I just started hunting ducks and geese, I took a friend down to Dead Creek, paid for a guided hunt and got skunked, very dissappointed after paying $165.00 each! We are both looking to meet up with some guys who are serious about hunting. I have a 1 year old choc. lab that Alec Sparks, in Addison VT, is just finishing up, great dog and ready to work. Please let me know if you want to get together, we are both in out mid 30's and are willing to help set up, tear down, what ever...
duckattack8
Newb

Return to Vermont Duck Hunting