The Scatters

Duck hunting in Mississippi is like no other. Learn why Mississippi Delta duck hunting is what we like to do best.

Moderator: Cephous

The Scatters

Postby IBBoykin » Mon Dec 05, 2005 12:36 pm

Does anyone know much about an area called "the scatters" in Malmaison.
Breeding and Training Boykin Spaniels, a True American Gundog
IBBoykin
hunter

Postby Greenhead fan » Mon Dec 05, 2005 8:38 pm

I know some guys that hunt in Malmaison and the Scatters and they are not doing very much. A few woodies at daylight and a lot of people shooting at them. You need to take your own tree to hunt by or you'll have to share one with someone else.
IT AIN'T BRAGGIN IF YOU CAN DO IT!
Greenhead fan
hunter

Postby IBBoykin » Mon Dec 05, 2005 8:58 pm

We hunted there Saturday. Went with a couple of guys that are more familiar with the area than I. We saw tons of ducks. The spot we were trying to get to, someone had beat us to it. They were slaughtering them too. We were watching 30 to 40 ducks at a time swarm down over the tree tops onto them. Made me madder than a hornet. I told those guys we needed to get in there early, but no, they said it would be no problem.
Anyway, we went in through six mile lake. To me, my problem, is trying to figure out what is WMA and what is not. The posted signs you find in there, as I was told, are posted backwards. If I look at a sign and it says posted, all land beyond the sign is posted, but from what they were saying when you can read the sign you are on the posted side of the sign. bizarre.
Based on the ducks we saw, I would love to hunt it again, but not having only been in there one time. If the MDWFP would provide us with GPS coordinates, it would be a lot easier to stay in the scatters and off the private land.
Breeding and Training Boykin Spaniels, a True American Gundog
IBBoykin
hunter

Postby Cephous » Tue Dec 06, 2005 12:22 pm

Greenhead Fan,
Don't know anything else about our spot. Didn't go look this weekend because I figured it would still be dry. Heard they got some rain in the last few days and can only hope some runoff will get in there. Not sure when I will get back up that way.
There's a reason it's called huntin' and fishin' instead of killin' and catchin'
Cephous
State Moderator

Postby Spoonie » Wed Dec 07, 2005 11:48 am

no ducks or water at the scatters
Spoonie
Newb

Postby msduckslayer » Fri Dec 16, 2005 8:11 pm

I deer hunt about 10 miles from the scatters and the duck hunters were doing some shooting at something last weekend.
msduckslayer
hunter

Return to Mississippi Duck Hunting