Sporting clays

Trap, Skeet, Sporting Clays; pistol/rifle target shooting, to plinking cans with a bb gun.

Moderator: waterfowlhunter

Sporting clays

Postby Sagebrush » Mon Aug 16, 2010 8:23 am

Had a great shoot with 62 people in our area at the Reno gun club up on the hill shooting 100 birds.
Found out that you never know what or how the course will be set up or how the birds will fly. This day
my normal setup of Skeet and I/C was not the ticket, since there were a lot of going away side angles on the corse
which needed a tighter pattern to break these birds.

My light 1oz #8's at 1290 were almost good enough but needed a little more energy today for those farther birds at 40 plus yards
and my score showed that my poor O/U was not going to get it done today and I did not bring any extra chokes along................I,know,I,know...........bumb is as bumb does.

Great weather ,started out at 10:30 am with a "Shotgun start", where everyone started at different stations ,then moved around the course to get all the stations in. Temerature was a warm 82 degrees and at the end of the day around 1:45 it had topped out at 93 and we were all glad to get back to the club house to cool down. Sure glad I had some Gatorade in the cooler to keep me in shape,since it is better than plain water to keep ones electrolites up for sports activities.

Ended up with a poor 70 out of 100 today and I learned a lesson about shooting SC today. The type of shells and the chokes in
your gun, DOES play a BIG part in getting good scores on a course,day to day. There were two gentlemen ,father and son,that had the correct chokes today for the course and they shoot 1 1/8oz at 1300 fps at all their shoots and they did very well and were the top two shooters with a score of 93 % 92. Now that is getting it done !!

later
Sagebrush
hunter

Re: Sporting clays

Postby Force Fetch » Mon Aug 16, 2010 3:07 pm

At least you had some fun and learned something.
Before I owned a gun set up for clays I used a 3200 Remington skeet gun fixed chokes. I would change loads for the different presentations and did pretty well. Heavier loads, more shot, larger shot etc.
I have seen some clays shooters that have electric carts to pack all their gear and ammo, sounds like that is too much work for my level of shooting. I guess I shouldn't be content with 80%, sometimes better sometimes worse.
Head Down and Keep Swinging
Force Fetch
hunter

Postby Sagebrush » Tue Aug 17, 2010 8:16 am

At 65 years, young, those electric golf carts ,sure make going up and down a long course,a LOT more enjoyable and you have a place for your guns,partner,shell bags and cooler !! Well worth the $40 rental charge,here in the hot desert ,since it comes with a roof to keep the sun off of you,to help out a little in the 90-100 degree heat,this time of year.

Best part of the shoot were the doves sitting on the clay houses ,watching us shot and breaking the clays, they might have had nest near by or just checking us all out before the season opens in September?? 20 to 30 yards away and not a flinch !!

We do walk the course in spring and fall when it gets back to the 60's, though, with just a hunting jacket, stuffed full.
Sagebrush
hunter

Postby waterfowlhunter » Sun Aug 22, 2010 6:23 am

That sounds like a great day of shooting :thumbsup:

I shot SC last weekend, We shot the "easy" course then went around again shooting the "hard" course. They have 3 or 4 throwers at each of the 13 stations and some are set farther out or on hard angles that curve in flight. The first round I shot a 40 which was pretty good and I did have a couple of "What happened" moments. but the hard course dropped me down to a 32. I need more practice on the rising angling away targets at 40+ yds. I also had an issue with the ammo I brought, the first round I was shooting 1150fps target loads and the second round I was using my 1300 Sproting clays loads. I need to pick a load and stick to it I guess :yes:

I want to see a rabbit station where there is a Board that it brakes on so you have to shoot while it is still moving fast or you loose it.
"A free people ought to be armed" George Washington 1790

‘For those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.’ —Ben Franklin.”
waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Return to Target Shooting