Early teal migration report / harvest reports

Learn and share Illinois river duck hunting with other duck hunters. Have fun and tell your best hunting jokes about Illinois.

Moderators: lostpup, MM, SPatrick, Illinois-Ducker, huntall6

Re: Early teal migration report / harvest reports

Postby mcbehan » Fri Aug 30, 2013 9:22 am

100s and 100s at Carlyle Lake on 8/29/13.
mcbehan
Newb

Postby ILgoosehunter12 » Fri Aug 30, 2013 10:30 pm

mcbehan wrote:100s and 100s at Carlyle Lake on 8/29/13.

still not seeing very many at Rend. few here and there, but nothing to get excited about yet. Seen it is supposed to cool off next week. that may be good or bad. only time will tell. can't wait
I don't want it, i just need it. To breathe, to feel, to know I'm alive
ILgoosehunter12
hunter

Postby ctmsnow32 » Thu Sep 05, 2013 4:25 am

so here is a really dumb question. I thought teal didn't open till sept 7 state wide? how are you guys shooting teal already? what did i miss?
ctmsnow32
hunter

Postby Corn_stubble » Thu Sep 05, 2013 5:36 am

ctm, the posts that are on page 1 and 2 are from 2010. After reading the earlier posts and seeing all the pictures I also thought that I missed the season opener for teal.
Corn_stubble
Newb

Postby greenhead1987 » Thu Sep 05, 2013 6:14 am

Scouted the impoundments at rend last night and did not see a flock of teal. A hand full of woodies and big ducks and that was it. Water is very high for this time of the year.
greenhead1987
hunter

Postby brickgw » Sat Sep 07, 2013 11:59 am

I've heard mixed reports of some teal in central Illinois this morning. One buddy heard a bunch of shooting but didn't kill. Another further south didn't see a bird. Anyone have any luck?
brickgw
hunter

Postby vpadfsu » Sat Sep 07, 2013 12:12 pm

Had solo bwt. Saw lots of wood ducks, very little bwt
VPAD
jameis winston = championship
vpadfsu
hunter

Postby SPatrick » Sat Sep 07, 2013 4:17 pm

If anyone is telling you they are shooting limits of teal, they are lying. Nothing here yet, give it a week or so and it will be on. Need some weather.
Shaun Patrick
Avery Prostaff
HEVI-Shot Prostaff
SPatrick
State Moderator

Postby luie b » Sat Sep 07, 2013 7:58 pm

SPatrick wrote:If anyone is telling you they are shooting limits of teal, they are lying. Nothing here yet, give it a week or so and it will be on. Need some weather.

Next weekend has highs in the low to mid 70s from what I'm seeing so I forsee a push of bluewings :grooving:. I went out to Bear Creek Access in Marcelline, IL (north of quincy) and only heard 2 shots all morning which I think was at geese because I only saw 1 small group of teal very early in the morning.
**2014-2015 Illinois Waterfowl Season**
Blue-winged teal - 14
luie b
hunter

Postby Capt. Jack » Sun Sep 08, 2013 11:49 am

I'm thinkin' start Wednesday and after. Gonna try & be in the field each morning after that.

Over

Cap
Capt. Jack
hunter

Postby diverhunter50 » Sun Sep 08, 2013 12:20 pm

Killed 18 saturday morning three of us. Took a lot of scouting to find a pocket of birds. Killed 8 this morning two of us, didn't see very many. Mixed reports from guys I talked to from killing and seeing none to a few guys that put their time in that did all right. River was crazy with people Saturday. Midnight launches, camping on the islands, just got lucky to get to Plan A. Plan B,C,&D were already occupied when we hit the water. Makes me remember why I stay away from the river on opening days :fingerhead:

I disagree with the "if any body is killing limits they are lying", Northern Zone holding a few.

Geese pretty much non existent. Saw three singles and watched someone scratch one from a high flock this morning.

Some pintails and shovelors around. Seems like a good woodduck hatch and very few mallards to be seen.
diverhunter50
hunter

Postby luie b » Sun Sep 08, 2013 1:39 pm

diverhunter50 wrote:Killed 18 saturday morning three of us. Took a lot of scouting to find a pocket of birds. Killed 8 this morning two of us, didn't see very many. Mixed reports from guys I talked to from killing and seeing none to a few guys that put their time in that did all right. River was crazy with people Saturday. Midnight launches, camping on the islands, just got lucky to get to Plan A. Plan B,C,&D were already occupied when we hit the water. Makes me remember why I stay away from the river on opening days :fingerhead:

I disagree with the "if any body is killing limits they are lying", Northern Zone holding a few.

Geese pretty much non existent. Saw three singles and watched someone scratch one from a high flock this morning.

Some pintails and shovelors around. Seems like a good woodduck hatch and very few mallards to be seen.

What zone are you in?
Blue-winged teal - 14
luie b
hunter

Postby diverhunter50 » Sun Sep 08, 2013 2:12 pm

Northern Zone

Teal may not be to Central or Southern Zones yet, but theyll be on their way I'm sure they all got rousted outta the northern zone this weekend.

Looking forward to new push end of the week.
diverhunter50
hunter

Postby luie b » Sun Sep 08, 2013 8:56 pm

diverhunter50 wrote:Northern Zone

Teal may not be to Central or Southern Zones yet, but theyll be on their way I'm sure they all got rousted outta the northern zone this weekend.

Looking forward to new push end of the week.

I was gonna say there for a second if you said central I'd have called you a liar. I think there will be a push at the end of next week if the weather does what they are saying it should do. Hopefully get some rain too. Hasn't rained here since late June.
Blue-winged teal - 14
luie b
hunter

Postby ILgoosehunter12 » Sun Sep 08, 2013 10:15 pm

first two days of teal season we killed 6 teal total. 4 the first day and 2 today. still waiting on the front. cant wait.
I don't want it, i just need it. To breathe, to feel, to know I'm alive
ILgoosehunter12
hunter

Postby diverhunter50 » Mon Sep 09, 2013 7:51 am

Well its a good thing I'm in the northern zone, because we'd have a problem if you called me a liar.

There are very few people that put in the time I put in scouting and 7 times outta 10 if nobody is on birds, I can find some somewhere. It's all about logging the scouting hours and being very familiar with where you hunt and knowing where and when to look for the birds in a certain area.

The place we hunted Saturday is one of the most unducky looking spots on the river and probably 20-25 groups of hunters passed it by, but I had been watching it for a week and knew when the birds where coming there, how many were there and how they'd come in there. Some guys set up on the island directly south of us, which is a way more usual teal/duck hangout, but I knew the birds were not sitting around there. 250 yards made a huge difference in where the birds wanted to be. We killed 18 and they fired only two shots all morning.

Now granted if you have none (Central and Southern) it makes that difficult.
diverhunter50
hunter

Postby Blackcloud870 » Mon Sep 09, 2013 8:19 am

diverhunter50 wrote:Well its a good thing I'm in the northern zone, because we'd have a problem if you called me a liar.

There are very few people that put in the time I put in scouting and 7 times outta 10 if nobody is on birds, I can find some somewhere. It's all about logging the scouting hours and being very familiar with where you hunt and knowing where and when to look for the birds in a certain area.

The place we hunted Saturday is one of the most unducky looking spots on the river and probably 20-25 groups of hunters passed it by, but I had been watching it for a week and knew when the birds where coming there, how many were there and how they'd come in there. Some guys set up on the island directly south of us, which is a way more usual teal/duck hangout, but I knew the birds were not sitting around there. 250 yards made a huge difference in where the birds wanted to be. We killed 18 and they fired only two shots all morning.

Post up some pics diver!!! I was too busy this weekend to get out for the opener, and I didn't have any interest in the camping/boat races. I'll be heading out during the week this week to give em' hell. From the looks of the weather reports, my timing may be juuuust about right. :thumbsup:
threedogs wrote: wrote:One word, Inflatable decoys......

DanJeffandJack wrote:I just drink beer and crush box.

That's how I remain the physical specimen that I am.
Blackcloud870
hunter

Postby gearhead80 » Mon Sep 09, 2013 10:56 am

diverhunter50 wrote:Well its a good thing I'm in the northern zone, because we'd have a problem if you called me a liar.

Must be nice to be able to scout that much. A lot of people work or live to far from some of their hunting spots to be able to scout that much. I scout as much as I possibly can for my local spots and it has got me some success so far this year, but as far as other places I hunt, I can't scout to that degree or at all unfortunatly. In 3 early hunts we have 6 geese and a BWT. Very happy with the results compaired to the limited numbers I've seen so far in my area. Bring on some weather and the season openers!!
If I ask a question, I don't want your opinion. I want facts.
Don't tell me something you think, tell me something you know.
It's easier to say I don't know, than make something up.
Although, being a forum the next guy will know more no matter what.
gearhead80
hunter

Postby diverhunter50 » Mon Sep 09, 2013 11:38 am

Gear head I agree, I have what many do not. I live just minutes away from where I do most of my hunting and spend as much or more time scouting than hunting. It is a luxury that I am sure most do not have.

Black cloud are you coming to the Miss this week? We're heading out Thursday/Friday and got room if you are solo.

This guys still in the throw away walmart camera (yes you can still get them) not the digital age. Saturday was only second picture on the roll, as besides opening day of goose and opening day of teal, we have gotten nothing.
diverhunter50
hunter

Postby DuckinFool » Mon Sep 09, 2013 3:05 pm

My son and his buddies hunted near the Mississippi in Alexander Saturday and only saw around 30 and killed 2. We are planning to try them Thursday and Friday and hopefully we will get a push of birds.
Recession-neighbor loses job...Depression-you lose job...Recovery-Obama loses job.
Don't blame me.....I didn't vote for him !!!
DuckinFool
hunter

Postby gearhead80 » Mon Sep 09, 2013 3:25 pm

diverhunter50 wrote:Gear head I agree, I have what many do not. I live just minutes away from where I do most of my hunting and spend as much or more time scouting than hunting. It is a luxury that I am sure most do not have.

Black cloud are you coming to the Miss this week? We're heading out Thursday/Friday and got room if you are solo.

This guys still in the throw away walmart camera (yes you can still get them) not the digital age. Saturday was only second picture on the roll, as besides opening day of goose and opening day of teal, we have gotten nothing.

I do have one luxury most don't. My parents have moved 10 minutes away from Potters Marsh and own 60 acres I get to do combination deer/duck hunt weekends. I just live an hour away so it's good enough. I'm more than likely headed to Potters Marsh this Fri. Hope there will be some around.
If I ask a question, I don't want your opinion. I want facts.
Don't tell me something you think, tell me something you know.
It's easier to say I don't know, than make something up.
Although, being a forum the next guy will know more no matter what.
gearhead80
hunter

Postby xtrema13 » Mon Sep 09, 2013 3:47 pm

Not seeing much around Kane/Kendall county. Did manage to see some mallards get killed a blind down from the one we where at. Saw some older guys at that blind. Oldest in our group is 19. Remind me again how bad our youth is?
xtrema13
hunter

Postby DuckinFool » Mon Sep 09, 2013 4:31 pm

If you were not immediately dialing the poacher hotline and turning them in you are part of the problem.
Recession-neighbor loses job...Depression-you lose job...Recovery-Obama loses job.
Don't blame me.....I didn't vote for him !!!
DuckinFool
hunter

Postby xtrema13 » Mon Sep 09, 2013 5:52 pm

Called that multiple times before and never got any response.

Sent from my PH-2
xtrema13
hunter

Postby luie b » Mon Sep 09, 2013 8:55 pm

When you live in the state of Illinois the game warden for your area could be just a couple miles away or could be 2 counties away. We here in Hancock County share our ONE game warden with 3 other counties I believe. Pretty sad state we live in, with such good hunting it gets abused bad because people aren't scared of the law. There's people in my county that kill dozens and dozens of deer each season at night just for the hell of it, don't take no meat or anything.
Blue-winged teal - 14
luie b
hunter

PreviousNext

Return to Illinois Duck Hunting