duck blind recipes

What's cooking?! A forum to share your favorite duck recipes, goose recipes, wild game recipes, and smoking; along with how to prepare game before hand.

Moderators: Indaswamp, brassass, daffy...

duck blind recipes

Postby AL FESS » Sat Aug 21, 2010 10:14 pm

what do you like to eat in the blind ? hot , cold, snacks?
AL FESS
Newb

Re: duck blind recipes

Postby aggiechiro » Mon Aug 23, 2010 7:11 am

thermoss of coffee. use to just dip, and i could easily go from a prehunt snack until after lunch with just coffee and water, but i gave that up at the start of the year. i do take a power bar or something if the hunt is a long walk so i can refuel before heading out. other than that maybe some jerky, but since i only boat in 1 of 10 hunts at most weight is a premium that makes me just wait until after to eat.

now, i usually have a cooler in the truck with dinner leftovers, snacks, beverages, and maybe something we cooked just to eat after a hunt.
Gig 'em!
aggiechiro
hunter

Postby bayouboy » Mon Aug 23, 2010 3:57 pm

coffee, water and i usually grab whatever we have in our pantry or pick something up from the gas station. would like to try preparing a little something though. most of my hunting though, i'm not really afforded that kind of opportunity. now if i had a blind, i'd do it big. this year though, i''m going to try a little bit, thinking sausage, eggs. also, some hot broth or soup in a thermos is easy for those really cold days.
The New Orleans Saints
Superbowl XLIV Champions

“I have no reason to fear the hat. I put it on my head everyday.” Coach Les Miles
bayouboy
hunter

Postby aggiechiro » Mon Aug 23, 2010 4:37 pm

there are plenty of days when some hot soup would be worth a fortune in the blind. gratnted there are days when an ice cold drink would be too.
Gig 'em!
aggiechiro
hunter

Postby RLB » Tue Aug 24, 2010 9:41 pm

One word...landjagers...buckets of them!
RLB
hunter

Postby aboz » Wed Aug 25, 2010 6:28 am

Always coffee. But besides that depending on the trip i can generally go without. But if I do feel like bringing something i will either bring some bars, PB&J. But my favorite thing is to have quick oats, or quick grits, or quick cream of wheat in a soup thermos and just pour in some boiling water before you head out the door, the keep it in your bag, or car and when you take the lid off you got a nice warm breakfast.
take em
aboz
hunter

Postby piroguejoe » Tue Aug 31, 2010 6:49 pm

our biggest thing is pickled eggs. Followed closely by smoked oysters and viennas. The pickled eggs keep the ride home interesting.
I thought T shot meant teal shot!
piroguejoe
hunter

Postby daffy... » Tue Aug 31, 2010 6:55 pm

^ the most gross post ive read on this forum yet. pickled eggs and canned hot dogs. interesting.

... we usually have hostest mini donuts, jerky, sometimes breakfast sandwiches wrapped up. all day hunts. theres nothing better than a sandwich and moxie soda. (moxie is a local soda made in my home town, i believe it doesnt get much further than NH) something about that soda screams the outdoors to me. most people hate it
daffy...
Forum Moderator

Postby bayouboy » Tue Aug 31, 2010 7:19 pm

daffy... wrote:^ the most gross post ive read on this forum yet. pickled eggs and canned hot dogs. interesting.

... we usually have hostest mini donuts, jerky, sometimes breakfast sandwiches wrapped up. all day hunts. theres nothing better than a sandwich and moxie soda. (moxie is a local soda made in my home town, i believe it doesnt get much further than NH) something about that soda screams the outdoors to me. most people hate it

daffy, you're a chef, you're suppose to know good cuisine.

some canned oysters w/ some hot sauce, cest bon. pickled eggs, cest bon.
The New Orleans Saints
Superbowl XLIV Champions

“I have no reason to fear the hat. I put it on my head everyday.” Coach Les Miles
bayouboy
hunter

Postby aggiechiro » Tue Aug 31, 2010 7:20 pm

bayouboy wrote:some canned oysters w/ some hot sauce, cest bon.

add some mustard to that and you got a winner.
Gig 'em!
aggiechiro
hunter

Postby daffy... » Tue Aug 31, 2010 8:05 pm

i said nothing about the oysters! but pickled eggs and viennas, damn man thats aint food! also probably oughta bite my lip but the thought of oyster coming from anywhere south of new york scares me but hey theres gotta be a reason why the world perfurs louisanas oysters over maines

... i do make some seriously good pickles and peppers though. God do i love how well i eat come this time of year.
daffy...
Forum Moderator

Postby aggiechiro » Tue Aug 31, 2010 8:08 pm

daffy... wrote:... i do make some seriously good pickles and peppers though.

if i visit my parents this weekend i'm gonna get me a few jars of pickled banna peppers, the only thing they don't get from the garden is the jar and salt.
Gig 'em!
aggiechiro
hunter

Postby daffy... » Tue Aug 31, 2010 8:20 pm

they make vinegar and water? hahaha

i just moved out of the city. was there for four years. first time ive had a veg garden growing from the ground in awhile. eat cukes raw in salads etc. for a month or so. then when im sick of em ill start pickling them. same with the peppers. also after im sick of the raw tomatoes i make red sauce and freeze it. both will last me well into the winter... hard apple cider is coming up here soon
daffy...
Forum Moderator

Postby aggiechiro » Tue Aug 31, 2010 8:24 pm

daffy... wrote:they make vinegar and water? hahaha

well they do have their own well. as for vinegar, if they still had my moms first batch of homemade wine, that'd do-for the record she did get better.
Gig 'em!
aggiechiro
hunter

Postby piroguejoe » Thu Sep 02, 2010 4:21 pm

ok wait a minute. I understand the flak for viennas but how you gonna bad mouth pickled eggs. And I appologize for the "gross" post. in my neck of the woods we don't hold em in. We score em on how long you gotta roll the window down.
I thought T shot meant teal shot!
piroguejoe
hunter

Postby Rocker88 » Wed Oct 13, 2010 10:12 pm

We like to do sqareitos (burritos in the shape of a square or rectanlge) with eggs bacon cheese or when in season deer sausage, they cook more evenly on the grill. We have also ben known for chilli cheese dogs and hambergers. We like to eat and with the colman propane grill it makes as a heater too on those cold days!!!!
Rocker88
hunter

Postby wlgorman » Wed Oct 27, 2010 7:35 am

Usually just go with a granola bar, one cup of coffee on the way to the ramp, and a fresh can of grizzly.

This year we are trying something different. We usually use the boat (dont hunt out of it, use it to get to the spot). Our plan is to get out there a good 2 1/2 hrs before LST (beat the barneys), and cook breakfast over a camp stove. Opening wkend's menu is Breakfast sandwiches. Toast, scrambled eggs (trying to figure out how to safely transport whole eggs so we can do over-easy), bacon or sausage, and cheddar w/ mayo. I wonder if I will be able to shoot on a full stomach?
wlgorman
hunter

Postby MaxRabbit » Mon Nov 01, 2010 8:41 am

1 word. cold pizza. we get a couple larges for dinner on the night before and we usually bring a few slices to snack on throughout the day, ice cold cokes and a 70oz thermos of coffee.
MaxRabbit
hunter

Postby daffy... » Sun Nov 07, 2010 12:36 pm

anyone ever heard of the beverage called moxie? damn is that sh!t refreshing when its ice cold
daffy...
Forum Moderator

Postby fazwilder » Sat Nov 27, 2010 2:27 pm

here is somethign that we love to do. first we have a jet boiler i use when i go backpacking so that is the ticket right their, it fits inside itself and doesnt take up too much room. anyways first i boil the water which takes 2 min put in jumbalya rice mix right befor thats done i throw pre cooked smoke sausage or red sausage in there heat it all up and serve with biscuts. here is a pic (we brought a pot cause we were at my truck on this day)
fazwilder
hunter

Postby REM1100 » Sun Nov 28, 2010 3:06 am

I bring a can of Ensure or Boost, a small can of pork and beans, mini can of corned beef and a bottle of water and some Halloween candy
on the X in Saskatchewan
REM1100
Provincial Moderator

Postby w11oneal » Wed Dec 01, 2010 2:02 pm

You can't go wrong with any kind of jerkey.
JAMES ONEAL CHRYSLER-DODGE-JEEP

2010-11 GA
1 green wing
15 woodies
2 hooded mergansers
48 mallards
2 gadwall
2010-11 MS
4 Green heads
4 Green wings
1 woody
2 gadwall
w11oneal
hunter

Postby basseagle83 » Wed Dec 01, 2010 4:50 pm

Im a water kind of guy, always bring 2-3 nalgenes worth. I guess my buddy always brings coffee so I take it for granted but I usually end up thirsty drinking water.

Also I Always bring cliff bars or granola bars for me and my hunting buddy along with water in my blind bag. we dont always eat them but often times i get hungry and am very glad we have something. I can sense it in my buddy when I need to offer him a snack too
basseagle83
hunter

Postby Ajgall1055 » Sun Dec 19, 2010 7:36 am

I bring a thermos of coffee a couple of power bars and a bottle of water.
Ajgall1055
hunter

Postby NocEm » Sun Dec 19, 2010 5:03 pm

We call this the "Whole Hog, Double Cluck"

Toasted onion Kaiser Roll
Sausage Patty
2 Slices Deli Ham
2 Fried Eggs, yolks broke
Melted Pepper Cheese

make you punch yo mama in the face.
Attachments