prayer & meditation

For discussions about the spiritual things in ones life.


Moderators: gracenjohn, Preacher1011, La. Hunter

prayer & meditation

Postby bayouboy » Sun Aug 22, 2010 7:35 pm

do you do it?

what do you do?


personally, each morning i have a few readings, pray, then sit silently (meditate) for a few minutes (increase a minute each month).

also have tried a couple other meditaions, some guided ones.

have stuff i try to do throughout the day as well to keep that contact.


just curious, it's a vast subject and i'm interested in what others do and open to try new things.
The New Orleans Saints
Superbowl XLIV Champions

“I have no reason to fear the hat. I put it on my head everyday.” Coach Les Miles
User avatar
bayouboy
hunter
 
Posts: 3967
Joined: Thu Oct 12, 2006 10:06 am
Location: Lafayette, LA


Re: prayer & meditation

Postby aggiechiro » Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:39 pm

pray when i get up, before meals, when the kids go down, when i hit the rack. try to add some just cause, and when i get mad. try to read the Bible at least once a week, but it doesn't always happen. meditation would depend on your definition of the word. i do have a large number of patients that want to discuss something that is troubling them in their personal or spiritual lives, by the end of the day i think i get as much out of it as they do.
Gig 'em!
User avatar
aggiechiro
hunter
 
Posts: 5769
Joined: Wed Jun 17, 2009 11:30 pm
Location: Houston by way of Aggieland and East Bernard

Re: prayer & meditation

Postby bayouboy » Thu Aug 26, 2010 3:15 pm

aggiechiro wrote:pray when i get up, before meals, when the kids go down, when i hit the rack. try to add some just cause, and when i get mad. try to read the Bible at least once a week, but it doesn't always happen. meditation would depend on your definition of the word. i do have a large number of patients that want to discuss something that is troubling them in their personal or spiritual lives, by the end of the day i think i get as much out of it as they do.



people meditate all kind of ways. i've been told that prayer is speaking God and meditation is listening. it's been done forever and all numerous cultures. it's real big in eastern religions.
The New Orleans Saints
Superbowl XLIV Champions

“I have no reason to fear the hat. I put it on my head everyday.” Coach Les Miles
User avatar
bayouboy
hunter
 
Posts: 3967
Joined: Thu Oct 12, 2006 10:06 am
Location: Lafayette, LA

Re: prayer & meditation

Postby aggiechiro » Thu Aug 26, 2010 5:51 pm

bayouboy wrote:meditation is listening.



if thats the case every solo hunting or fishing trip is mostly meditation.
Gig 'em!
User avatar
aggiechiro
hunter
 
Posts: 5769
Joined: Wed Jun 17, 2009 11:30 pm
Location: Houston by way of Aggieland and East Bernard

Re: prayer & meditation

Postby bayouboy » Thu Aug 26, 2010 7:31 pm

aggiechiro wrote:
bayouboy wrote:meditation is listening.



if thats the case every solo hunting or fishing trip is mostly meditation.


true dat
The New Orleans Saints
Superbowl XLIV Champions

“I have no reason to fear the hat. I put it on my head everyday.” Coach Les Miles
User avatar
bayouboy
hunter
 
Posts: 3967
Joined: Thu Oct 12, 2006 10:06 am
Location: Lafayette, LA

Re: prayer & meditation

Postby aggiechiro » Thu Aug 26, 2010 10:22 pm

bayouboy wrote:
aggiechiro wrote:
bayouboy wrote:meditation is listening.



if thats the case every solo hunting or fishing trip is mostly meditation.


true dat



minus the "bite it bite it bite it" and "was that a duck...no snipe, no ibis..."
Gig 'em!
User avatar
aggiechiro
hunter
 
Posts: 5769
Joined: Wed Jun 17, 2009 11:30 pm
Location: Houston by way of Aggieland and East Bernard

Re: prayer & meditation

Postby peacetoyou » Fri Aug 27, 2010 2:51 am

I hope materials of these sites will be interesting for You.
http://www.new-ecopsychology.org/
http://www.spiritual-art.info/
Love, Light and Peace!
peacetoyou
Newb
 
Posts: 5
Joined: Thu Aug 26, 2010 7:13 am

Re: prayer & meditation

Postby mixedbag916 » Mon Aug 30, 2010 1:19 pm

peacetoyou wrote:I hope materials of these sites will be interesting for You.
http://www.new-ecopsychology.org/
http://www.spiritual-art.info/
Love, Light and Peace!


I think you belong on the controversial issues forum. They would love you over there. :yes:
"for I can do everything God asks me to with the help of Christ who gives me the strength and power" Philippians 4:13
mixedbag916
hunter
 
Posts: 502
Joined: Fri Aug 28, 2009 12:58 pm
Location: Roseville, CA

Re: prayer & meditation

Postby aggiechiro » Mon Aug 30, 2010 2:00 pm

mixedbag916 wrote:I think you belong on the controversial issues forum. They would love you over there. :yes:



not so much. there are already a couple liberal kooks that will tell lies, ignore facts, and post up random stuff that is irrelevant.
Gig 'em!
User avatar
aggiechiro
hunter
 
Posts: 5769
Joined: Wed Jun 17, 2009 11:30 pm
Location: Houston by way of Aggieland and East Bernard

Re: prayer & meditation

Postby Daen East » Thu Sep 23, 2010 11:33 am

I don't meditate... I marinate and ruminate (like a cow)

I begin in the morning and pick out a verse when I'm sitting on the jon. I'll read that one verse a couple of times to get it in my head. A couple of times during the day I'll read the verse again, but never anything more. As I go through the day I think about what the verse says and what it means, and try to look for meaningful application in my life. It often surprises me that I think I know what a verse says, but at the end of the day I have a whole new understanding.

It also works well when you do this with other people- you each focus on the same verse each day and tell what it means to you.

Prayer comes at any time during the day, often driving in the car. Sometimes my prayers last a couple minutes, sometimes a couple of seconds. Always remember you never need to schedule time with God :thumbsup:
"I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus"
Philippians 3:14
User avatar
Daen East
hunter
 
Posts: 27
Joined: Wed Aug 25, 2010 8:10 pm
Location: Eastern NC

Re: prayer & meditation

Postby bayouboy » Thu Sep 23, 2010 1:03 pm

Daen East wrote:Always remember you never need to schedule time with God



i receive benefits from when i disclipine myself to do certain things, such as prayer and meditation.


the point isn't to earn His favor or anything, but to try align my will w/ His.
The New Orleans Saints
Superbowl XLIV Champions

“I have no reason to fear the hat. I put it on my head everyday.” Coach Les Miles
User avatar
bayouboy
hunter
 
Posts: 3967
Joined: Thu Oct 12, 2006 10:06 am
Location: Lafayette, LA

Re: prayer & meditation

Postby mixedbag916 » Thu Sep 23, 2010 1:42 pm

[quote="bayouboy
the point isn't to earn His favor or anything, but to try align my will w/ His.[/quote]

:thumbsup: BINGO!
"for I can do everything God asks me to with the help of Christ who gives me the strength and power" Philippians 4:13
mixedbag916
hunter
 
Posts: 502
Joined: Fri Aug 28, 2009 12:58 pm
Location: Roseville, CA

Re: prayer & meditation

Postby mixedbag916 » Thu Sep 23, 2010 1:43 pm

Daen East wrote:I don't meditate... I marinate and ruminate (like a cow)

I begin in the morning and pick out a verse when I'm sitting on the jon. I'll read that one verse a couple of times to get it in my head. A couple of times during the day I'll read the verse again, but never anything more. As I go through the day I think about what the verse says and what it means, and try to look for meaningful application in my life. It often surprises me that I think I know what a verse says, but at the end of the day I have a whole new understanding.

It also works well when you do this with other people- you each focus on the same verse each day and tell what it means to you.

Prayer comes at any time during the day, often driving in the car. Sometimes my prayers last a couple minutes, sometimes a couple of seconds. Always remember you never need to schedule time with God :thumbsup:


Well put. I would have to say, though, you should schedule time FOR God.
"for I can do everything God asks me to with the help of Christ who gives me the strength and power" Philippians 4:13
mixedbag916
hunter
 
Posts: 502
Joined: Fri Aug 28, 2009 12:58 pm
Location: Roseville, CA

Re: prayer & meditation

Postby Daen East » Thu Sep 23, 2010 6:10 pm

Whoops, didn't realize my last sentence could carry some ambiguity :tongue:

To clarify, you always have God on the line... You are never not able to talk to him. Having said that, I believe it is very important to designate time for God in your schedule, routines work well for me.
"I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus"
Philippians 3:14
User avatar
Daen East
hunter
 
Posts: 27
Joined: Wed Aug 25, 2010 8:10 pm
Location: Eastern NC

Re: prayer & meditation

Postby bayouboy » Thu Sep 23, 2010 8:01 pm

Daen East wrote:Whoops, didn't realize my last sentence could carry some ambiguity :tongue:

To clarify, you always have God on the line... You are never not able to talk to him. Having said that, I believe it is very important to designate time for God in your schedule, routines work well for me.




didn't mean to come across attacking what you wrote and i understand what you met.


for me, i try not to live by my feelings, because they change regularly, but by my commitments. i don't do it everyday as i should. i go through periods of consolation and desolation and once through those times of desolation and pain, i grow.

today, for the most part, the good news is i don't stay in that pain and what doesn't work as long typically.
The New Orleans Saints
Superbowl XLIV Champions

“I have no reason to fear the hat. I put it on my head everyday.” Coach Les Miles
User avatar
bayouboy
hunter
 
Posts: 3967
Joined: Thu Oct 12, 2006 10:06 am
Location: Lafayette, LA


Return to Faith-Spirituality

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest