juneau hunters

Discussion topics include Alaska sea duck hunting and other species.

Moderator: badandy970

juneau hunters

Postby alaskanfudge12 » Thu Aug 26, 2010 1:29 am

Just curious how all you Juneau hunters felt about the second crossing going across the wetlands at sunny point? I guess its going to be up on the ballot for everyone to vote on October 5 and i would like to know what all you think.
alaskanfudge12
Newb

Re: juneau hunters

Postby Erich_870 » Thu Aug 26, 2010 12:18 pm

I'm not sure if I support it. I'd like to see some drawings of the preliminary alignment and it would have to have a small parking lot just like the Sunny Point Turn Out. I'm also concerned that it would inhibit tidal flow. I'm pretty sure that guy with the house on the cliff on Sunny Point is going to be pissed to watch traffic all day long :lol3:

Ideally, I think it should be built off the end of Mendenhall Pen. and connect to Entrance Point (out past the Fish Creek Snagging Pond). CBJ and FAA own the entire ridge of Mend. Pen and a new bench road could be built, the top of Blue Berry Hill could be blasted off and used as fill and you'd kill two birds with one stone by making the air traffic approach straight, instead of the dog leg we do now.

Erich
"Good judgment comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgment"

Alaskan Waterfowler Blog

Weed Whacker Boat Motor Build
Erich_870
hunter

Postby alaskanfudge12 » Thu Sep 02, 2010 1:31 am

Thats interesting, ive never thought about it going that way. Have a feeling its not going to happen though ha. But i agree with you i dont think it would be the best place to put the bridge there.
alaskanfudge12
Newb

Postby Erich_870 » Thu Sep 02, 2010 10:06 pm

alaskanfudge12 wrote:Thats interesting, ive never thought about it going that way. Have a feeling its not going to happen though ha. But i agree with you i dont think it would be the best place to put the bridge there.

I agree, but the thing to remember is that the FAA would probably pay for the hill removal because it would greatly increase the approach safety to the airport and that would make the rock needed to fill part of the crossing basically free. I'd rather see nothing built than to build to a mediocre route.

Erich
"Good judgment comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgment"

Alaskan Waterfowler Blog

Weed Whacker Boat Motor Build
Erich_870
hunter

Postby OneLunG » Mon Sep 13, 2010 5:24 pm

I am very much against the 2nd crossing. Not only for the effect it will have on the wetlands, but for other reason as well.

1,) A large bridge going smack dab through the center of the wetlands WILL affect the movement of waterfowl as they get pushed around the wetlands. This I predict will cause a decrease it success. Also, we'll lose a large portion of the wetlands for hunting, and a spot that is rather popular.

2.) A second crossing is not needed. We do not gain anything from doing it, instead we're wasting money when there are other things in town that need it more.

The main arguements I hear for the second crossing is "Improved access," "Quicker emergency response," and "Increase the development in Douglas."

- Improved Access - Is it really that far to drive out N. Douglas? No, its not. When you compare communte times to get out N. Douglas to Commute times for people to get to work down South, its not EVEN close to a long drive. On top of that, the people living out N. Douglas KNEW what they were buying into when they purchased their homes out there. If they didn't want to do the drive there are plenty of homes for sale in town and in the valley.

- Quicker Emergency Response - I can speak from experirence on this on as I work in the Emergecy field. The difference in response times is not going to make a single bit of difference.
OneLunG
hunter

Return to Alaska Duck Hunting