@Rick..thinking about starting a pigeon coup

Share hunting dog tips, hunting dog training questions or links of interest here.

Moderators: HNTFSH, hunt-chessies, captainkevan, swampbilly 1980

Re: @Rick..thinking about starting a pigeon coup

Postby Rick Hall » Tue Dec 14, 2010 5:06 pm

I netted pigeons under bridges and in fair grounds buildings to sell to a trainer for beer money in college, and can't say I ever got wet. Did get to talk to a lot of cops.
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby moredux » Sun Jan 02, 2011 10:27 pm

Rick Hall wrote:I netted pigeons under bridges and in fair grounds buildings to sell to a trainer for beer money in college, and can't say I ever got wet. Did get to talk to a lot of cops.

no way!! im in college and i catch pigeons and sell them to my uncle, a pro trainer, and set all that money aside for some stones on the weekend
moredux
hunter

Postby jehler » Mon Mar 07, 2011 1:37 pm

What does it cost to keep a dozen or two pigeons? will they be alright in a coop over the winter up here in N Mi? jr. would love this.
Buy it, use it, break it, fix it,
Trash it, change it, mail - upgrade it,
Charge it, point it, zoom it, press it,
Snap it, work it, quick - erase it,
Write it, cut it, paste it, save it,
Load it, check it, quick - rewrite it,
Plug it, play it, burn it
jehler
thread hi-jacking expert and a great guy

Postby Rick Hall » Mon Mar 07, 2011 1:43 pm

I'm sure you can keep pigeons through the winter there with housing that affords them some protection, but don't know how much weather stress will effect reproduction. Also don't know about costs, because much will depend on how you house and what you feed them. "All stock" pellets are pretty cheap, but "laying pellets" or pigeon pellets per se are a little more. I mostly feed waste rice, which is free here.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby DeathDlr7VI » Wed Mar 07, 2012 2:33 pm

Here is a shot of mine.

Watch out for these guys!

I would love to have a completely open loft, but being from WI, I need something that I can enclose my birds up to keep them out of the cold. I have sand for my aviary floor. It is very easy to clean, just rake and scoop up poo. Inside my loft, I have the bottom painted so moisture won't collect and destroy the wood. I also have wood shavings in there to absorb the moisture from the poo. It also makes clean up easy. I just sweep up with a dust pan. Make your own water container. I use a 1 gallon milk bucket. I cut out 2 sides about 2 inches from the bottom and about 2 inches high. I works great, my birds can't poop in there as easily. When it gets dirty, I don't have to wash, just toss and just cut out another. You can go many directions with nest bowls. I use the $1 plastic dog bowls from the dollar store. I wrap them with news paper. After I round, I remove the news paper and put some more over the bowl. As you can see, I don't like to wash pigeon poo.
DeathDlr7VI
hunter

Postby Small Block » Fri Nov 09, 2012 7:26 pm

I had two sources for my pigeons when i needed em. Like said before the cull racers and the boys at the feed mill would catch em in a live trap and gladly give em to me. If ya have a trap then see if they will set it up for ya. They consider them to be in the way and glad to get rid of em. Did the under the RR bridge thing also.
Small Block
Small Block
hunter

Postby Riptide Rally Mallory » Sat Jan 26, 2013 6:39 pm

What is the best kind of pigeon used for training a duck dog or does it matter?
Riptide Rally Mallory
Newb

Postby Rick Hall » Sat Jan 26, 2013 6:44 pm

I like homers because those not shot are recyclable, so I can use tons of fly-offs for steadying. Then, too, I enjoy seeing how far they'll home from road trips. But the young of feral pigeons kept captive until they reproduce will also home for a few miles, if that's all you need.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby FFT » Sun Mar 03, 2013 7:44 pm

i remember when my friend asked me if i was gonna let the dog kill his homers when i picked them up as chicks. I kinda chuckled and said 'no way' and drove off thinking what an ass he was for beleiving me. Long story short, i found raising them and working them with the dog was one of the most rewarding hobbies and it didnt cost more than a few bucks a week. I was sad when one was lost to predators or weather.

Also, i had a bird that wouldnt return to the coop because a hawk camped out on it for a day. That bird relocated himself into the garage. Nothing more heart stopping than going in the tool chest and finding yourself eye to eye with a pigon. I recommend them to anyone with a few moments to spare each day.

Sent from my SCH-I415 using Tapatalk 2
FFT
hunter

Postby dysco » Tue Jul 02, 2013 1:19 am

Let me get this straight...

Dry and covered
Lots of ventilation, but protected from pests
Nesting boxes
Food and water preferably protected from falling poo and accessible from outside
Roosts
Landing pad and trap

What am I missing?

How can I make sure I get some of the birds back who fly off while training 3-4 miles away?

Trapped feral birds produce offspring who will probably return to the coop?
dysco
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Tue Jul 02, 2013 3:51 am

If you don't let them fly until they've had a couple broods in your loft, feral birds should come and go from it when you open the trap without abandoning it but those adult may or may not home to it from that 3 or 4 miles. Their young, however, should if "trained". Training homers is a matter of letting them fly around the loft area for a week or two (I let them out around our supper time, so they'll exercise but want to stay near and be in their roost at dark.) then "tossing" (releasing) them, first in groups then singly, 1/2 mile from the loft, then a mile, then 2 miles and so on. I've had feral birds home from 7 or 8 miles but all be lost from twice that.

When you do your early homing flights it's best to release them hungry and be sure there's food in the loft for them to encourage them to go in quickly.

Don't recall if anyone mentioned trap training above, but to get them used to coming in through the trap's bobs, I drop more and more of the bobs in the evening for the birds to go through when coming to roost until they're pushing through them all.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby dysco » Tue Jul 02, 2013 1:19 pm

Perfect, thanks!
dysco
hunter

Postby OmegaRed » Mon Aug 26, 2013 11:13 am

Here is mine finished.
Attachments
20130824_165741.jpg
20130824_165505.jpg
I just pooped my pants.
OmegaRed
Fabio

Postby Indaswamp » Mon Aug 26, 2013 12:11 pm

no shelter for the pigeons?
The Cajun 7 Course Meal; 1 lb. of boudin and a six pack of Abita beer.

Save the Marsh, Eat a Nutria!

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby OmegaRed » Mon Aug 26, 2013 12:31 pm

Indaswamp wrote:no shelter for the pigeons?

It's gonna be kept in my barn in the second picture. So none is needed
I just pooped my pants.
OmegaRed
Fabio

Postby Rich- » Mon Oct 21, 2013 9:25 am

Rick,

Any those plastic grates exactly 2x4'?
Rich-
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Mon Oct 21, 2013 10:12 am

Rick Hall
hunter

Postby Rich- » Mon Oct 21, 2013 12:20 pm

How strong are they? Can you walk on them? I am building a new 12'x8' coop and I think I want to use these for my floor since they will make keeping the loft clean a lot easier.
Rich-
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:20 pm

Mine are supported by joists under the seams and lengthwise down the middle of the panels, so I can walk around in there without straining anything.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby robster1213 » Wed Aug 06, 2014 9:14 pm

Indaswamp wrote:Any suggestions? I'm not looking for homers-just to have them around for the dogs and to cull the young tender ones...
what info can you point me to? Thanks..

This thread got out of hand in a hurry! I use an old puppy crate on the back porch, some news paper in the bottom, and a small dish of water, and some bird seed, stale bread, french fries doesn't matter what you feed them... those wild pigeons will eat anything and live well. Keep it small and simple so you can reach in and grab a couple when you need them.
Lesson learned: they make a mess in a hurry
robster1213
hunter

Previous

Return to Hunting Dog Forum