Keeping jerks from stealing trestands?

From big game to target practice to 3d shoots

Moderators: LaRedneck, birddog crazy, buffleheadnc2

Keeping jerks from stealing trestands?

Postby Normmcclean » Sat Sep 18, 2010 8:55 pm

Anyone have any good solutions for the A--holes that steal other guys treestands. I have the lone access to an urban area on private land that has a bunch of trash near the property that tresspass without a second thaught. locks and chains get cut and I cant afford to keep buying stands. area the deer use has no trees that I can use my climber on. anyone find a cable or chain or lock combo that has worked out for them. at the end of my rope lost 2 stands this season and have yet to even get in a hunt because of cowards. any help is much appreciated
Normmcclean
hunter

Re: Keeping jerks from stealing trestands?

Postby Suncutter » Sat Sep 18, 2010 9:15 pm

set up a trail cam looking at the stand then you will have pics of them in action and can go to the police and have them arrested.
870 wrote::welcome: to the site NYducks55
Around here you'd get a warmer answer by asking to have sex with our daughters. :
Suncutter
hunter

Postby Normmcclean » Sun Sep 19, 2010 7:58 am

I have pulled steps and taken out ladder sections but the guys who are steal ing the stands live close enough that they have no problem carrying in a ladder and tools. might have to go to strap steps and pull stand for every hunt real pain in the as* but what can you do.If I didnt work two jobs I would sit out and wait with my 12ga loaded with rock salt.
Normmcclean
hunter

Postby berettaguy17 » Sun Sep 19, 2010 9:54 am

heavy logging chain and industrial locks seem to scare them away for me
Why not shoot all 3 shots, they make more shells everyday.
berettaguy17
hunter

Postby flatbottom mudslinger » Sun Sep 19, 2010 11:26 am

I have a few places to hunt where I have to worry about thieves also. Thats where you hang up your garage sale treestands, you know the old uncomfortable ones you only spend $10 on. Most people wont go through the hassle of cutting a chain or lock to get a piece of junk, and if they do oh well your only out $10 .
treat every situation like a dog. If you cant eat it or hump it just piss on it and walk away
flatbottom mudslinger
hunter

Postby NJslayer » Sun Sep 19, 2010 6:15 pm

duckwhispererer wrote:I can see his next post now: "Keeping jerks from stealing tail cams?!"

You put another trail cam on the cam thats facing the stand....ect you see where im going :wink:
WE GOT A SITUATION HERE.....
NJslayer
hunter

Postby Grouse » Sun Sep 19, 2010 7:04 pm

Honestly I would stay there over nite and when they arrived the ones still standing colud carry the others out while I hunt.
Nature teaches more than she preaches. There are no sermons in stones. It is easier to get a spark out of a stone than a moral.
Grouse
hunter

Postby birddog1148 » Sun Sep 19, 2010 7:15 pm

I agree with flat bottom, use cheep treestands.
will hunt for food.
birddog1148
hunter

Postby Normmcclean » Sun Sep 19, 2010 8:29 pm

yeah I think I am going to try using 6" lag screws and one I have them tightned into stand fram into the tree I will file off the head of the lag so they cant wrench it out. next size up in chain I have is from a battleship mooring and weighs about 30lbs per link might do the trick
Normmcclean
hunter

Postby OrangeLake » Mon Sep 20, 2010 7:21 am

Option 1: Build a stand into the tree, similar to a small tree house.

Option 2: Despite what people want you to believe, hunting on the ground is usually possible. Is there something stopping you from just hunting from the ground, like terrain?
OrangeLake
hunter

Postby airborneduckhunter » Mon Sep 20, 2010 3:07 pm

Millineum M-100 Hang on stand and strap on steps. Pack em in and pack em out. That stand is the most comfortable stand I have ever been in. It's light and it attaches to the tree with a chain on reciever. All you would need to leave in the tree would be the reciever. It's hard to spot if you don't know what to look for. Here is the link to the website, but their price is kinda steep. You can usually get them cheaper than this.
https://millenniumstands.com/products/p ... 100-hangon
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."-George Orwell
airborneduckhunter
hunter

Postby birddog1148 » Tue Sep 21, 2010 4:17 am

I think I heared once or twice that "locks keep honest people honest" So I am wondering if cheap set of cable locks I just got will work.
will hunt for food.
birddog1148
hunter

Postby airborneduckhunter » Wed Sep 22, 2010 8:34 am

birddog1148 wrote:I think I heared once or twice that "locks keep honest people honest" So I am wondering if cheap set of cable locks I just got will work.

Last time I checked a thief wasn't honest.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."-George Orwell
airborneduckhunter
hunter

Postby birddog1148 » Thu Sep 23, 2010 4:16 am

airborneduckhunter wrote:
birddog1148 wrote:I think I heared once or twice that "locks keep honest people honest" So I am wondering if cheap set of cable locks I just got will work.

Last time I checked a thief wasn't honest.

My point exactly, a theif will take what it wants.
will hunt for food.
birddog1148
hunter

Postby 2500hdon37s » Thu Sep 23, 2010 4:58 pm

get a hang on, then use boot sturrips that you must wear to climb the tree and then a thick chain and big lock!
NRA and DU member, are you? if not you should be!

rabbitdundied wrote: I use my mojos in places I don't want birds to land.
2500hdon37s
Forum Moderator

Postby mnobles23 » Thu Sep 23, 2010 11:09 pm

Unfortunately there's not much you can do to keep a determines POS from stealing your stands. Running big screws into the tree and welding/JB welding them to the stand will help, but if they really want your stand they'll end up with it. Kind of sad what some people will do to steal a stand or two. I'd look at making a permanent wood stand if you can. They're kind of a PITA if you ask me, but that might be the only thing they won't take. Good luck man. I feel your pain.

PS: Are Claymore mines legal in your state? :yes:
mnobles23
hunter

Postby Normmcclean » Fri Sep 24, 2010 9:21 am

Im usually a real easy going guy but I also work 2 jobs to afford to hunt and it just gets frustrating when guys who have no respect for the sport of others propert just help themselves to the stand you worked so hard to set. I talked to the landowner and he is going to allow for a more permanant stand. I am going to put in a ladder again but this time I am burrying the bottom 2 feet of the ladder and I am going to pour the base of the stand in concrete. if they want to haul off 240lbs of concrete then they deserve my stand. good luck to all this season and thanks for the help
Normmcclean
hunter

Postby meathead » Tue Sep 28, 2010 1:04 pm

Normmcclean wrote:Im usually a real easy going guy but I also work 2 jobs to afford to hunt and it just gets frustrating when guys who have no respect for the sport of others propert just help themselves to the stand you worked so hard to set. I talked to the landowner and he is going to allow for a more permanant stand. I am going to put in a ladder again but this time I am burrying the bottom 2 feet of the ladder and I am going to pour the base of the stand in concrete. if they want to haul off 240lbs of concrete then they deserve my stand. good luck to all this season and thanks for the help

...or they could hacksaw off the bottom 2' of your ladder

sorry just playing devil's advocate. If you're going to go through that much effort, why not haul in some lumber and build a permanent stand?
meathead
hunter

Postby WoodyWhiffingMG » Wed Sep 29, 2010 11:19 am

You could use a climbing stand. They are more expensive, but you could just take it in with you when you leave.
I have had one stolen and another attepmted to be stolen. The one that was stolen was only 15 to 16 ft up and the tree stand that they failed to to get, is almost 30 ft up. So maybe put up real high and they will get scared.
There are only two types of people in the world, those who love duck hunting and those who never have duck hunted.
WoodyWhiffingMG
hunter

Postby hauge87 » Wed Sep 29, 2010 11:10 pm

may want to think about getting a ground blind and packing it in and out each time... may be a pain, but at least you will be able to hunt when you get out there..
hauge87
hunter

Postby swampbilly 1980 » Thu Sep 30, 2010 8:26 pm

Wrap razor wire around the tree and the stand with an old shotgun pointing down from above the stand with a visible wire wrapped around the trigger, and then connected to the stand i.e.,..pull the stand and the shotgun fires...(Saw it on the Elmer Fudd/Buggs Bunny cartoons).. :yes:
I hate a thief :mad:
Swampbilly1980- I got a feeva',..and the only cure is more Mergansers and face paint.
swampbilly 1980
Forum & State Moderator

Postby FloridaFowler » Fri Oct 01, 2010 1:51 pm

swampbilly 1980 wrote:Wrap razor wire around the tree and the stand with an old shotgun pointing down from above the stand with a visible wire wrapped around the trigger, and then connected to the stand i.e.,..pull the stand and the shotgun fires...(Saw it on the Elmer Fudd/Buggs Bunny cartoons).. :yes:

x2. I get ALL of my hunting advice from Elmer Fudd.
FloridaFowler
hunter

Postby duckslayer727 » Tue Oct 05, 2010 8:14 pm

FloridaFowler wrote:
swampbilly 1980 wrote:Wrap razor wire around the tree and the stand with an old shotgun pointing down from above the stand with a visible wire wrapped around the trigger, and then connected to the stand i.e.,..pull the stand and the shotgun fires...(Saw it on the Elmer Fudd/Buggs Bunny cartoons).. :yes:

x2. I get ALL of my hunting advice from Elmer Fudd.

Wile E. Coyote is smarter :hammer:
Why does work always get in the way of hunting?
duckslayer727
hunter

Postby duckschooler » Wed Oct 06, 2010 10:11 am

I'm thankful I've never had to deal with this problem, but I read your post and it gave me a couple ideas. This summer I was thinking about simply building a platform out of wood and attaching it to the tree and buying one of those nice tree seats and just packing it in with me each time I hunt. The platform would be quite heavy and it could be realitively inexpensive to make, I don't know maybe the thieves wouldn't bother with just a heavy platform with no seat available especially if it was chained. I guess if a thief wants something bad enough he'll find a way to take it though.
Last edited by duckschooler on Wed Oct 06, 2010 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
#flock'em
duckschooler
hunter

Postby Normmcclean » Wed Oct 06, 2010 4:47 pm

thanks for all the input guys I finally got permission from landowner to trim trees to make them climber friendly
Normmcclean
hunter

Next

Return to Archery