Keeping jerks from stealing trestands?

From big game to target practice to 3d shoots

Moderators: LaRedneck, birddog crazy, buffleheadnc2

Re: Keeping jerks from stealing trestands?

Postby backwoodsboy09 » Mon Oct 11, 2010 10:00 pm

Guys guys! You're thinking too hard! Nothinf a good ol' bear trap can't rix! Get em' at the ankles and follow the blood trail, just like deer season =)
2011-2012
4 Bands
18 Mallards
7 BW Teal
9 Gadwall
11 Shovelers
1 Pintail
1 Ringbill
3 Woodies
22 Canadians
backwoodsboy09
hunter

Postby fowlskys » Tue Oct 12, 2010 7:20 am

I would suggest getting a Tree Saddle. They are better and more comfortable than any climber or hang on in the first place. But also it is light weight and you pack it in and pack it out. To set it up it is no different then getting in your safety harness. (essentially that's what it is but with a seat wrapped around you) Then all you need in your tree are tree spikes that go up to your desired height and spikes around the tree for your platform. And if they keep stealing the spikes well pack them in too. I have used this type of tree stand before and I like it much better than the traditional ones, in fact I'll be getting one next year (spent my hunting funds for the year on duck/goose hunting equipment)
fowlskys
hunter

Postby swampcrawler » Fri Nov 26, 2010 6:32 am

Just put up your lockon and take it down everyday.I have done it for years SOMETIMES 2 OR 3 times a day if the wind changes
swampcrawler
hunter

Postby Bay Bob » Sun Sep 11, 2011 4:58 pm

I collect old bed frames and funky used plywood.

Let the frames and plywood get good and rusty / funky.

Make your tree stands out of the weathered materials, but put a solid piece of ply between two pieces of funky ply.

After you make them let them sit outside and weather a bit more - - -

The seel frame still has plenty of strength but they look like crap, and even appear dangerous to the untrained eye.

Find the nastiest rusty old (but strong) hardened logging chain to secure them with "aged" good solid locks.

I have not had one stolen in years - - - most folks are afraid to put any weight on them :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

Surely you can imagine this in "bedfram and old ply" - - -

Bay Bob
hunter

Postby dakotashooter2 » Fri Oct 14, 2011 3:46 pm

If they are ladder stands get some ground anchors and screw them in at the feet of the ladder. Use the tanper free locks made for trailer hitches and lock the anchors to the legs. you might have to weld on a piece of metal on the legs to run the lock through and keep it as close to the ground as possible so it is hard to work a saw or bolt cutter on it. Then on the seat screw a 6-8" eye bolt into the tree just under the seat and weld a short bracket or couple links of chain that can be locked to the eyebolt. The key is to have the lock and locking attachment in tight quarters so it is hard to access with a saw or cutter.

I had 10 tree stands made from old bedframes (spring steel) at one time. they looked terrible but were more solid than anything you can buy. Once set they didn't budge they were so tight to the tree. But I don't think anyone dared to sit in them and certainly had no desire to steal them. Most weer left as permanent stands and after a few years the trees grew into them and even I couldn't get them down.

And don't forget "pungie sticks" at the bottom of the ladder) :fingerpt: :fingerpt:
dakotashooter2
hunter

Previous

Return to Archery