Set up HELP!!!

For those who enjoy duck hunting in the fields, this is the place.

Moderator: Skyblaster7

Set up HELP!!!

Postby Pavel » Sun Sep 19, 2010 10:45 am

Me and a buddy of mine have pooled our money together to get some decoys for field hunting Geese and Ducks. Here is list of the stuff that we have and will be getting shortly:
18 Full Body Greenhead Mallard Decoys
2 Mojo Mallards
36 Real Geese Pro Series
12 Bigfoot B2 Decoys
24 Goose shells "unknown make/model"
2 layout blinds
I was wondering from all your experience how would you set up a spread like this? i.e. Big foots around our layout blinds or the Real Geese Pro Series? If concentrating on ducks only, should we reduce the amount of geese that we put out? Stuff like that and any other tips would be great.

Thanks in advance for any help.
Pavel
hunter

Re: Set up HELP!!!

Postby bigblue0827 » Sun Sep 19, 2010 8:19 pm

First of all, I would put the blinds toward the front of your decoys. This does several things. First, it keeps you further away from where the birds will land (which keeps their eyes off of your and keeps them far enough out that your shot patterns well). Second, what I do is spread my shells out in groups of about 4 - 6 then spread your full bodies throughout those. I don't use silhouettes on really sunny days. The ducks will provide good motion, I usually put mine in small groups as well, towards the landing hole. Remember, geese typically do not like to land down hill. So either set up flat or slightly uphill. Setting up with them landing uphill allows you better concealment. Hope this helps, shoot me a message with any other questions. Remember to mud the h e double hockey sticks out of your blinds!
bigblue0827
hunter

Return to Field Duck Hunting