Indaswamp's Smoked Redfish dip

What's cooking?! A forum to share your favorite duck recipes, goose recipes, wild game recipes, and smoking; along with how to prepare game before hand.

Moderators: Indaswamp, brassass, daffy...

Indaswamp's Smoked Redfish dip

Postby Indaswamp » Sun Sep 26, 2010 11:20 pm

Ya'll enjoy this one...I have been lookin for this recipe and finally found it yesterday...in one of my cookbooks, folded up and stuffed in between the pages...

Smoked Redfish Dip:
coarsely chopped meat of 2 smoked Filets on the half shell (skin on) from a 20-24" redfish
8oz. creole cream cheese (you can use philly in place of creole)
8 oz. Real mayo
1 tsp. minced garlic
1 small onion finely diced
2 TBSP butter
1 tsp. Lee and Perrin's Worcestershire sauce
1 tsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
20 drops lemon crab boil
6 green onion tops (green) finely sliced
dash of dried thyme
dash of Louisiana Hot Sauce
1 TBSP Steene's pure cane syrup

To cook:

Blackened Redfish seasoning:
1 TBSP paprika
2 tsp. Salt
1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper
1/2 tsp. black pepper
1 TBSP granulated garlic
1/2 tsp. dried oregano
1/2 tsp. dried thyme

Heat smoker up to 200~225. Season redfish on the half-shell (skin on) liberally with blackening seasoning and place skin down on grill. Heavy smoke fish for 1 hour with wood chips of choice. (I like pecan or mesquite.)
when fish is done, remove meat from skin carefully and scrape dark meat off, coarse chop white meat and set aside.
in a skillet, melt butter over med. heat and saute onions, garlic, and green onions until onions are translucent and wilted..5-7 min. Remove from heat and transfer to a med. stainless steel bowl. let cool slightly, then fold in cold cream cheese and allow to melt, fold in mayo and them all remaining seasonings. lastly, fold in fish. check for seasoning and add more blackening seasoning if needed... this dip should be served warm with either crackers or french toast croutons...enjoy! Great for parties and football games...

*EDIT*
This is Lemon Crab Boil concentrate:
you can find it here:
http://www.zatarains.com/Products/Seafood-Boils/Shrimp-and-Crab-Boil-Lemon.aspx
Last edited by Indaswamp on Sat Mar 05, 2011 4:06 pm, edited 3 times in total.
The Cajun 7 Course Meal; 1 lb. of boudin and a six pack of Abita beer.

Save the Marsh, Eat a Nutria!

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Re: Indaswamp's Smoked Redfish dip

Postby swampbilly 1980 » Fri Oct 01, 2010 3:40 am

Indaswamp wrote:Ya'll enjoy this one...I have been lookin for this recipe and finally found it yesterday...in one of my cookbooks, folded up and stuffed in between the the pages...

Smoked Redfish Dip:
coarsely chopped meat of 2 smoked Filets on the half shell (skin on) from a 20-24" redfish
8oz. creole cream cheese (you can use philly in place of creole)
8 oz. Real mayo
1 tsp. minced garlic
1 small onion finely diced
2 TBSP butter
1 tsp. Lee and Perrin's Worchestershire sauce
1 tsp freashly squeezed lemon juice
20 drops lemon crab boil
6 green onion tops (green) finely sliced
dash of dried thyme
dash of Louisiana Hot Sauce
1 TBSP Steene's pure cane syrup

To cook:

Blackened Redfish seasoning:
1 TBSP paprika
2 tsp. Salt
1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper
1/2 tsp. black pepper
1 TBSP granulated garlic
1/2 tsp. dried oregano
1/2 tsp. dried thyme

Heat smoker up to 200~225. Season redfish on the halfshell (skin on) liberally with blackening seasoning and place skin down on grill. Heavy smoke fish for 1 hour with wood chips of choice. (I like pecan or mesquite.)
when fish is done, remove meat from skin carefully and scrape dark meat off, coarse chop white meat and set aside.
in a skillet, melt butter over med. heat and saute onions, garlic, and green onions until onions are translucent and wilted..5-7 min. Remove from heat and transfer to a med. stainless steel bowl. let cool slightly, them fold in cold cream cheese and allow to melt, fold in mayo and them all remaining seasonings. lastly, fold in fish. check for seasoning and add more blackening seasoning if needed... this dip should be served warm with either crackers of french toast croutons...enjoy! Great for parties and football games...

.....Mmmm, dang, Inda' THAT sounds good..It just so happens that I'm gonna' go fishing this weekend and the Rockfish and Puppy Drum are hitting right now..THANKS for a great recipe.. :beer:
Swampbilly1980- I got a feeva',..and the only cure is more Mergansers and face paint.
swampbilly 1980
Forum & State Moderator

Postby MacMan » Fri Oct 01, 2010 6:57 am

Inda, you think I'm going to coarsely chop up to big ole Red fish fillets - not on your life - how about Inda's smoked mullet dip? I'd sacrifice a mullet. LOLOL
<\\\><
MM
MacMan
hunter

Postby Indaswamp » Fri Oct 01, 2010 7:58 am

MacMan wrote:Inda, you think I'm going to coarsely chop up to big ole Red fish fillets - not on your life - how about Inda's smoked mullet dip? I'd sacrifice a mullet. LOLOL

I won't eat mullet unless I'm stranded on an island and have nothin else to eat....

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby MacMan » Fri Oct 01, 2010 9:11 am

Indaswamp wrote:
MacMan wrote:Inda, you think I'm going to coarsely chop up to big ole Red fish fillets - not on your life - how about Inda's smoked mullet dip? I'd sacrifice a mullet. LOLOL

I won't eat mullet unless I'm stranded on an island and have nothin else to eat....

I've never eaten one - yet, my bro went to a cookout not too long ago in which they smoked some large mullet and he said it was wonderful. Hell, probably better meat than catfish.
<\\\><
MM
MacMan
hunter

Postby GroundSwatter » Fri Oct 01, 2010 9:13 am

I've come into lots of snapper recently, so I think this might be a possibility. I'm going to print this out and try it after my next trip out.
It's a fact that 70 percent of the people who purchase heavier tackle do so with the categorical I just lost a huge snook! Einstein Hairdo.The other 30 percent have either Tarpon Fever or are sporting a hand cramped into a claw from a deepwater grouper.
GroundSwatter
hunter

Postby Indaswamp » Fri Oct 01, 2010 9:18 am

MacMan wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:

I've never eaten one - yet, my bro went to a cookout not too long ago in which they smoked some large mullet and he said it was wonderful. Hell, probably better meat than catfish.

smoked mullet is a big deal in Fla.

Now, Sheepshead are a great substitute...just gotta be careful of the extra bones...

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby Indaswamp » Fri Oct 01, 2010 9:25 am

GroundSwatter wrote:I've come into lots of snapper recently, so I think this might be a possibility. I'm going to print this out and try it after my next trip out.

when you have a back load of fish like you got-you can spar some top shelf filets to make dip with. :thumbsup:

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby Indaswamp » Fri Oct 01, 2010 9:28 am

tell ya what guys-I like to make smoked redfish salad with the leftovers sometimes if I don't have enough for a dip, just like tuna salad but use the smoked redfish...I like to add a touch of honey to it though...and a touch of mustard-not much....

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby GroundSwatter » Wed Nov 17, 2010 10:07 am

I wonder if this would work with Smoked Mackerel.
It's a fact that 70 percent of the people who purchase heavier tackle do so with the categorical I just lost a huge snook! Einstein Hairdo.The other 30 percent have either Tarpon Fever or are sporting a hand cramped into a claw from a deepwater grouper.
GroundSwatter
hunter

Postby MacMan » Wed Nov 17, 2010 11:31 am

GroundSwatter wrote:I wonder if this would work with Smoked Mackerel.

Maybe Spanish Mack - however, I've had King Mack every which way you can possibly cook it and the texture is not there for a dip - it does however make some very interesting fish jerky.
<\\\><
MM
MacMan
hunter

Postby GroundSwatter » Wed Nov 17, 2010 2:15 pm

We have Cero Mackerel and King Mackerel. I have seen king's jump out of the water hitting bait, but have yet catch one. I just smoked some Cero Mackerel fillets on Monday and its pretty good smoked. I would assume using a similar methodology I could smoke King Mackerel with some success, i.e. brine then smoke. Never smoked fish before monday but this wasn't bad.

Not sure how any of it would work following Inda's recipe, but its worth a shot. I'm always trying to make mackerel taste better. Otherwise I'll wait until I have a good day snapper fishing and try it then.

Also, how important is skin on with smoking fish? I only ask b/c I have some good snapper fillets in the freezer and they are skin off. Just put foil on the smoker rack with some pam on it that way it doesn't stick?
GroundSwatter
hunter

Postby MacMan » Wed Nov 17, 2010 3:13 pm

Yea Bro, I've seen King's hit lures 8 - 10 ft in the air - it was feakin' amazing - BUT, it's the texture of the meat that will not lend itself to a dip - it's just not a moist/soft flesh that would be smooth in a dip. I'm not familiar with the Cero mack, however, it looks real similar to a spanish.

Skin will tend to keep the meat in place and I like it for that reason - yet the snapper is probably firm enough to handle the grill and smoking.

Dang, I envy you - I sure miss my fishing.
<\\\><
MM
MacMan
hunter

Postby duckhuntnfl » Thu Nov 18, 2010 9:43 pm

any sh!t fish will work for smoked dip.. :thumbsup: mullet, mack, drum black/red, bonito,. list goes on
but i have to agree sounds like a darn good recipe. going to try it on blackfins the winter.
capt. chris
A stork may bring u a baby but a swallow never will
it was dark.....i was drunk....i thought she was you!!!!
SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES - NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT THEY
BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS.
duckhuntnfl
hunter

Postby GroundSwatter » Wed Dec 01, 2010 9:54 am

I have been smoking a lot of mackerel lately, cero and a few smaller kings, and I think I know how I can get it to taste right for this dip. Brining the mackerel has been essential to it coming out well, so I think if I can dumb down my brine, i.e. just use basic salt and water, then use inda's rub on it it should work. now the only issue I have here is brining adds an extra 3 hour to the process, but might be worth trying next time I got the smoker going.
GroundSwatter
hunter

Postby MacMan » Wed Dec 01, 2010 10:29 am

GroundSwatter wrote:I have been smoking a lot of mackerel lately, cero and a few smaller kings, and I think I know how I can get it to taste right for this dip. Brining the mackerel has been essential to it coming out well, so I think if I can dumb down my brine, i.e. just use basic salt and water, then use inda's rub on it it should work. now the only issue I have here is brining adds an extra 3 hour to the process, but might be worth trying next time I got the smoker going.

Hey GS - have you learned about the King balls yet? If not, here ya go. . . Slice cross-wise down the King every 2 - 4 inches - with the head pointing toward you stick both thumbs into the cross-wise incisions and push - you will get the center-most pieces of core meat in balls and it's quick. . . when you catch hundreds of pounds of the stuff you have to find an easier cleaning technique.
<\\\><
MM
MacMan
hunter

Postby GroundSwatter » Mon Dec 13, 2010 2:45 pm

anybody got a substitute for the lemon liquid crab boil? I can't get that or the pure cane syrup.
GroundSwatter
hunter

Postby MacMan » Mon Dec 13, 2010 2:56 pm

GroundSwatter wrote:anybody got a substitute for the lemon liquid crab boil? I can't get that or the pure cane syrup.

Can you get a pretty good array of spices GS? I'm thinking we could come up with a homemade shrimp/crab boil. . .
<\\\><
MM
MacMan
hunter

Postby GroundSwatter » Mon Dec 13, 2010 3:05 pm

You can get crab boil, just no the liquid crab boil. I might just take some Tony's, dissolve it in lemon juice and water, then add it.
GroundSwatter
hunter

Postby Indaswamp » Mon Dec 13, 2010 3:29 pm

GroundSwatter wrote:You can get crab boil, just no the liquid crab boil. I might just take some Tony's, dissolve it in lemon juice and water, then add it.

tony's seasoning is not the same as crab boil...take the crab boil pouch, cut up 3 lemons and boil it in 2 quarts of water for an hour, then let it cool-now you have crab boil liquid :thumbsup: ...then use a little of this...you can concentrate it if you want to... :beer:
and use honey, or molasses instead..they do have cane down there right?? find something sweet..

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby MacMan » Mon Dec 13, 2010 6:32 pm

Indaswamp wrote:
GroundSwatter wrote:You can get crab boil, just no the liquid crab boil. I might just take some Tony's, dissolve it in lemon juice and water, then add it.

tony's seasoning is not the same as crab boil...take the crab boil pouch, cut up 3 lemons and boil it in 2 quarts of water for an hour, then let it cool-now you have crab boil liquid :thumbsup: ...then use a little of this...you can concentrate it if you want to... :beer:
and use honey, or molasses instead..they do have cane down there right?? find something sweet..

Heck, I didn't know there was Tony's or the like - I cooked a bunch of crabs (snow) this weekend and while I like the bags I normally do my own concoction of "stuff" - Tony's is one - yet I have some other stuff called "Special $hit" that I've really used quite a bit w/ butter and lemon. Search on the aforementioned spice - it's a Texas thing!!!

Speaking of Lemon - I've instructed my Bro to spray the Grapefruit and Lemon trees while the severe freeze is heading to N. FL and S. GA. Else we loose a whole bunch of fruit.
<\\\><
MM
MacMan
hunter

Postby GroundSwatter » Mon Dec 13, 2010 8:19 pm

Since my supply down here i quite limited, I substituted like an SOB. I decided to use mackerel for the fish, since it is what I had. TO compensate for the oily fish, I brined it, then after removing it from the brine I applied the dry rub and smoked it. Tasted great. I think I might use that rub for future fish smoking exercises, dip or no dip.

So for the cane syrup, I just took a 2 to 1 ratio of sugar to water, boiled it, and made my own syrup to substitute. I honestly couldn't find crab boil at all once I went to the store, so I just added some extra lemon and a little tony's and said screw it. I'm not sure why they don't have crab boil down here since we actually have a lot of blue crabs.

Not sure if it tastes like Inda's smoked redfish dip, but it tasted pretty darn good as far as I'm concerned. Smoked mackerel vs redfish didn't seem to be a problem since I brined it.
GroundSwatter
hunter

Postby Indaswamp » Mon Dec 13, 2010 8:23 pm

GroundSwatter wrote:Since my supply down here i quite limited, I substituted like an SOB. I decided to use mackerel for the fish, since it is what I had. TO compensate for the oily fish, I brined it, then after removing it from the brine I applied the dry rub and smoked it. Tasted great. I think I might use that rub for future fish smoking exercises, dip or no dip.

So for the cane syrup, I just took a 2 to 1 ratio of sugar to water, boiled it, and made my own syrup to substitute. I honestly couldn't find crab boil at all once I went to the store, so I just added some extra lemon and a little tony's and said screw it. I'm not sure why they don't have crab boil down here since we actually have a lot of blue crabs.

Not sure if it tastes like Inda's smoked redfish dip, but it tasted pretty darn good as far as I'm concerned. Smoked mackerel vs redfish didn't seem to be a problem since I brined it.

pm me an address in the States-mom & dad, Brother....and I'll mail you some. you can pick it up when you visit next time... :thumbsup:

Oh- try brown sugar if you can find it... :thumbsup: it has a little molasses still in it and it'll be closer to the syrup...

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby Indaswamp » Sat Mar 05, 2011 4:07 pm

Bump-I"m gonna make some with the left over Redfish I'm cookin tonight at the Fire station.. :yes: :thumbsup:

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby HOPIN4ABOAT » Sun May 13, 2012 7:05 pm

Indaswamp wrote:

Its because yall have nasty *** mud mullet not the white sand mullet of P-cola. :hammer:
Montanafowler wrote:check the jiblets real good, nothing scarier than seeing a bug biting your balls :lol3:
HOPIN4ABOAT
hunter

Return to Duck Recipes & Tips for all Cooking