Black Powder Opener

Deer, Elk, Moose, Bear, Hog

Moderators: stumpjumper, don taylor

Black Powder Opener

Postby fowlhunter » Tue Sep 28, 2010 8:37 am

Well this is one of those things that will never play out like this again. We've been getting pics of this dude for over a month. If it wasn't 2 am when he came in it was right before dark. So we decided to leave that stand alone opening morning and hit it that night. Beings I shot the big one last year dad got the first wack at him. He got into the stand about 3:30 pm. He said the does started showing up a little before six. Right about 7 he said the one doe kept staring back into the tree so he figured something was coming. A few minutes late he came walking in and gave dad a 20 yard broad side shot. He hit him good and the deer only went about 30 yards.

The bad part was that apparently the buck had messed up his back leg. He was infected litterally from his nose to back hooves. So none of the meat was no good. I guess it's a good thing we got him when we did because I dont think he had another week in him.

Either way 3 1/2hrs of hunting this season and the buck we wanted was down. You just can't complain about that. The neibors said they also had a few pics of this buck from years back and thought he was 6 1/2.

"It's better to be hated for who you are than be loved for who you're not"
Van Zandt
fowlhunter
Forum Moderator

Re: Black Powder Opener

Postby meathead » Tue Sep 28, 2010 2:47 pm

Man that thing is purty - bum deal on the meat, but great trophy congratulations!
meathead
hunter

Postby OrangeLake » Tue Sep 28, 2010 7:03 pm

Smoked 'em!! Nice job. Too bad about the meat.
OrangeLake
hunter

Postby fowlhunter » Wed Sep 29, 2010 9:35 am

Losing the meat def is a bad deal. My wife is home with the kids during the day, so we go through the burger. Does beware! lol!
"It's better to be hated for who you are than be loved for who you're not"
Van Zandt
fowlhunter
Forum Moderator

Postby h2ofowlr » Mon Oct 04, 2010 4:06 pm

Dandy buck. Lots of character.
h2ofowlr
State Moderator

Return to Big Game