Duck Hunting Forum banner

My pup is amazing me more every day

867 views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  harvey1b 
#1 ·
I bought my 4 year old son a lab in August (actually we are sharing). He will be 6 months this weekend. He is my third lab. This time we paid a little more for genetics. What a difference it makes. People told me he was to young but he was consistantly doing doubles a 15 weeks and that I should be throwing the bumpers where he can easily find them. Once I found out he was to young and we shouldn't do doubles I began working on stretching him out. I did another wrong I took him with me hunting two times. We didn't get any birds. I would like to say it was cause they haven't come in yet. I think I am just a bad shot. All last week we worked doubles with duck sickles. I threw them in heavy brush, where he had to climb and swim over fallen trees, in the same line as each other. I even had one plug about 5 inches in the mud. He had trouble with two birds the entire week. I said since I ain't doing it right I might as well go for broke. I took him out in the boat to the area we were going to hunt the next day. I brought the training pistol and four ducks. I had the guys with me shot and through all four ducks. He worked them like a pro. Was 4 for 4 everytime.

The next morning we got 6 birds. He went 4 for 6. The first one was winged and dove before he found it. We didn't see it again. The second was a wounded Gadwall. His first live. He tried to get it but didn't know what to do. I went and got it and let he hold it live. We will see how he does next time. He went 4 for 4 on the teal and the mergy. The negative is he brought back some decoys as well. We are going to work duck sickles and decoys this week.

I am so please I had to share it with people who would share the sentiment.

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.