Duck Hunting Forum banner

AR complete upper decision

1K views 12 replies 4 participants last post by  wingcutter 
#1 ·
Hi guys, I bought a stripped lower a year ago, bought the guts and furniture and ran out of money, now I think I'm finally ready to buy an upper and finish it off. I want something with good mid-long range accuracy and something that can handle heavier rounds. I don't need TOP quality (nor can I afford it) but I am looking for value, I want to make sure I am getting good quality considering I want to keep the price well under $1k. I think I've settled on the Sabre Defence 18" CMV fluted mid-length with the YHM 12" TJ hand guard (see link below). What do you guys think of this setup in terms of quality? Also, I was wondering if anyone's used the magpul injection molded BUIS, if so are they worth it or are they just plastic crap? Thanks for all the help!

http://pkfirearms.com/content/1/20/86/138

#2 ·
What is it going to be used for primarily? Im in the same boat as you and am gunna try out RRA's predator pursuit (i think),what you have picked out sounds like a good choice,Im not real familiar with saber but Ive heard theyre of good quality. Ive heard mixed things about the BUIS,unless your real strapped for cash i would probably go with a quality steel/aluminum model of some type (YHM,Troy,etc)

#3 ·
it's mostly going to be a bench gun, but I want to be able to take it out for some small-medium size game (hence the lighter weight and 1/7 twist). I have a spike's lower and a magpul ACS, and I was also wondering if I can use the standard carbine buffer and spring with the 18" mid length upper

#6 ·
yes, but cost of the upper and cost and availability of ammo are concerns for my first build, next one I may go 6.5, by then maybe I will have aquired dies and a press

#7 ·
To be honest I'd build one if I was in your shoes. That's what I did. It's pretty easy and you can get top of the line parts but will still have a cost way less than a manufactured upper. I just had a 6.8 mid-length built for under $1200 and that's the whole gun. Use a White Oak Armarent barrel. I got .5 moa after shooting 12 rounds pretty fast with no cool down. 6.8 is .270 caliber so there's your size desire met. Ammo is really cheap contrary to what some people believe. Most loadings are only about $1-2 more than 5.56.

Here's mine:

#9 ·
I only had daylight enough to shoot at 100 yards so keep in mind I was shooting with no cool down. The barrel was already pretty warm when I shot those last 12 shots that were in a .5 inch group. I would guess with confidence that I could easily still be sub-moa with more time out to 200.

To build one is going to save you hundreds. The WOA barrel is $280. A spikes stripped upper is only about $85. The charging handle, gas block, and gas tube are really cheap. My bolt carrier group was $185. You can spend a little or a lot on the handguard and flash hider. My friend in Grand Prarie built mine and I'll be more than happy to put you in touch with him.

#13 ·
cool, that gets at my original question on the quality of Sabre defense components. It appears that Sabre uses pretty high quality components, but I have no experience with them so I wasn't sure

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.