Quack Decoys??

If sea duck hunting is your specialty, then share your thoughts on Rhode Island duck hunting with others.

Moderator: TheSwamper

Quack Decoys??

Postby Slack Tide » Sat Oct 09, 2010 11:06 am

Hey Guys,
My Quack Blacks just arrived and they are a little weird...
No one on the forum really knows much about them, I figured I would go to the source (Rhoadies)
Anyone have any experience with these??
"I've been left for dead before but I'll still fight on, don't wait up, leave the light on, I'll be home soon"
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Re: Quack Decoys??

Postby jeff wolpert » Sat Oct 09, 2010 4:10 pm

not being a wise guy.but how do you mean weird?
jeff wolpert
hunter

Postby Slack Tide » Sat Oct 09, 2010 6:37 pm

First, the "mags" are really pretty much life sized at best (really pretty much on the smaller size) and definitely on the shinny side of what I would usually prefer.
"I've been left for dead before but I'll still fight on, don't wait up, leave the light on, I'll be home soon"
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Postby TheSwamper » Tue Oct 19, 2010 6:14 am

Yeah, ummmmmm. Is the paint still on them? :oops:
TheSwamper
DHC Sponsor and Moderator

Postby Slack Tide » Thu Oct 21, 2010 3:37 pm

Swamp-
Very funny, that's not the first time I have heard that. I am going to rig them and try to sell them at the local duck boat show this weekend. I gotcha........
I figured for the sale price, I would try them ($38 for the pair delivered) but they are not for me.
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Postby TheSwamper » Thu Oct 21, 2010 7:00 pm

Yeah man. I've never had any luck with them. Painting rubber is pretty much impossible, and they aren't the cheapest around either.
TheSwamper
DHC Sponsor and Moderator

Postby Dylandawg » Mon Nov 08, 2010 4:42 pm

I used to help out at Quack now and again, my friend owns it. With new EPA regulations they had to stop using lacquer a few years back because the filtration system for the spray booths was too expensive to upgrade. Not sure what paints they had to go with now. If I remember correctly they just used a chemical wash to dull the finish on the black/brown rubber. Decoys made in China aren't regulated by the EPA.

There isn't much size difference in length between lifesize and magnum, the difference is in the width. The magnum decoys are 18x8, lifesize are 17x6. The super magnum are 21x9. As far as a good gunning decoy they are hard to beat. They ride well in rough weather, are almost bullet proof beyond 25 yards. The paint usually held up for decades when they used lacquer. As far as looks and detail they don't compare as with GHG of Final Approach. I've never had a problem pulling in birds with them in 37 years. They are pretty much "working blocks" for everyday use and do hold up to abuse.

I've got over a 100 GHG blocks I've had 3 or 4 years now and most need to be repainted and leak around the keel , some have quarter size holes in the body from shot hitting frozen hard plastic.
Dylandawg
hunter

Return to Rhode Island Duck Hunting