Opinion on scouting sights.

Waterfowl topics at their best, post here and read others views on Vermont duck hunting

Moderator: yellodog1

Opinion on scouting sights.

Postby NW_Vermont » Tue Oct 12, 2010 8:23 am

Yes, that's sights, not sites... :smile:

I could ask this on the Passion forum, but I like hearing from my local peeps. (am I too old to use that term?)

I have a beaver pond that is surrounded by mostly mature hardwoods. The pond is new to me this year and I haven't truly hunted it because I had better options.

In the past, I've seen a few ducks in there and in recent days whenever I visit, it is loaded, I mean loaded with geese. Even this morning at 6:30 I got within 10 yards of contently swimming geese.

The gun was ready, but not a single duck could be seen. The 20th goose opener will be here before we know it, but here's my question.

Because I'm not a goose hunter, I never gave this much thought or paid any attention. Will ducks and geese mingle on the same water? As in today, if I'm hunting ducks and see a boat load of geese, should I not even bother or COULD ducks be in the mix? I'm aware of chapter of duck physics about "just when you think you have things figured out...".

Thanks for any opinions!

NW_Vermont quickly becoming a goose jump-shooter.
NW_Vermont
hunter

Re: Opinion on scouting sights.

Postby VT_Diver-Junkie » Tue Oct 12, 2010 9:04 am

Yes they will mingle together every now and then when we jump geese we'll see a handfull of ducks with them, But i would wait for the 20th to shoot because if those geese here you shooting at 1 duck they might not come to close to you, is it worth 1 duck or possible your limit of geese! :biggrin:
Theres nothing like frostbite and gunpowder in the air!!!!
VT_Diver-Junkie
hunter

Postby RangerX » Tue Oct 12, 2010 9:10 am

NW_Vermont wrote:Yes, that's sights, not sites... :smile:

I could ask this on the Passion forum, but I like hearing from my local peeps. (am I too old to use that term?)

I have a beaver pond that is surrounded by mostly mature hardwoods. The pond is new to me this year and I haven't truly hunted it because I had better options.

In the past, I've seen a few ducks in there and in recent days whenever I visit, it is loaded, I mean loaded with geese. Even this morning at 6:30 I got within 10 yards of contently swimming geese.

The gun was ready, but not a single duck could be seen. The 20th goose opener will be here before we know it, but here's my question.

Because I'm not a goose hunter, I never gave this much thought or paid any attention. Will ducks and geese mingle on the same water? As in today, if I'm hunting ducks and see a boat load of geese, should I not even bother or COULD ducks be in the mix? I'm aware of chapter of duck physics about "just when you think you have things figured out...".

Thanks for any opinions!

NW_Vermont quickly becoming a goose jump-shooter.

Just wondering... are you seeing the geese there at night as well? I have access to a beaver pond, but have not visited it since the spring. While Turkey hunting, they were in the pond, but I went back there a few weeks ago at dusk, and nothing. Curious if geese use these tyupes of ponds as roosts or feeding spots in the morning.
RangerX
hunter

Postby magogwhacker » Tue Oct 12, 2010 9:18 am

You'll get more geese if you figure out where they go when they leave the pond in the morning and hunt there. You could get a few hunts out of them. If you jump them off the roost they won't come back, its a one shot deal. If somebody else jumps them off the pond before you get there, you won't get any at all.
What? There's open water? Its not cold enough.
magogwhacker
hunter

Postby RangerX » Tue Oct 12, 2010 9:25 am

magogwhacker wrote:You'll get more geese if you figure out where they go when they leave the pond in the morning and hunt there. You could get a few hunts out of them. If you jump them off the roost they won't come back, its a one shot deal. If somebody else jumps them off the pond before you get there, you won't get any at all.

I guess I'll have to check it out some morning and find out... I'm pretty sure no one else has or will be there...unless they are poaching posted land.
RangerX
hunter

Return to Vermont Duck Hunting