Narrowed it Down to two

4K views 40 replies 16 participants last post by  ol' yeller 
#1 ·
Which one should i get?
Spartan1376.47%
Charles Daly423.53%

#2 ·
#3 ·
I would buy the spartan. I have one that I have had for four years now, with no problems. Mine is not a spartan, I bought It before remington bought out baikal. But it is still the same gun. Very easy to clean, but you must keep it oiled down because it is not blued or coated unless they changed that. I love mine and it shoots very well.

#9 ·
I've heard it has some sharp areas around the ejection port. Is this true?

#11 ·
the other thing is. where can i buy some chokes for them?

#13 ·
i was just hoping maybe i could get some briley chokes or something. Also i havnt seen it at local gunstoors (havnt really looked) but do you think the stoors would order it for me? if so how much more would it cost?

#14 ·
I'm not sure if Briley is offering chokes for the Spartan yet. You can check their web site.

I really don't know how your local gun shops work, but here where I live they will order the gun with no additional cost. I know the shop I bought mine from ordered mine when they did their weekly gun orders so I wouldn't have to pay for the shipping.

#16 ·
I definatly dont have that kind of cash or dicispline. :yes:

#20 ·
Ol yeller I thought I was the only one who believed in that gun like you do. My buddy also shoots a benelli and as you said BANG FOR BANG. I cant justify an extra 1100 dollars when the MP153 performs as well as it does.

#21 ·
ol' yeller said:
Just remember... Don't knock it until you've tried it. :hammering:
No, no...I agree that the two guns Gooseboy chose are two good duck poking machines. I am just saying that instead of settling for a gun just because it's the only one you can afford, save ur dough for the weapon that you really want. Unless of course you need a new gun right away.

:thumbsup:
CQ

#22 ·
I definitely agree that if you're wanting a different brand of gun to save up for the one you want instead of setteling for something else. Otherwise you won't be happy. :thumbsup:

You have to be careful when talking up a Baikal/Spartan auto or even their O/U's. It seems you always get a crowd talking about how horrible and cheap they are. From what I gather most of the people who bash the gun have never shot one.

Gooseboy, if you do buy the Spartan make darn sure you clean that gun very well. Before they are sent to the U.S. they are packed with a rust inhibitor call cosmoline that is as thick as vaseline. 90% of the problems I've read about these guns are remedied when the new owner takes the entire gun down and cleans it better. Also, there is a break-in procedure that calls for shooting at least 150 rounds of shells with 1.25 oz. of shot or larger before attempting to shoot the light 1 oz. dove loads. Since it's duck season I'd just clean it up and start shooting.

smackaduck, the MP-153 is the best money I've ever spent on duck hunting equipment second only to my boat. I have shot mine anywhere from 2 degrees with a -5 windchill during a conservation snow goose hunt in Missouri to 98 degrees in the Arkansas river bottoms dove hunting without a hiccup. She spits out shells anywhere from the cheap 1 oz. dove loads you buy at Wal-Mart to the 3.5" 1550 fps duck shells. I am already planning on buying another after duck season "just to have". :mrgreen:

#23 ·
I agree I have had mine for four years and no problems. When I bought mine it only came with a wood stock, there was not an option for the synthetic, till about six months after I bought mine. So I will also be buying another one so I can have a synthetic. :thumbsup:

#25 ·
kcduckslayer, what necessarily constitutes a better gun? One that costs more or......one that costs more?

smackaduck, before you buy another one check with Remington. They may be able to sell just the composite stock. That is unless you're just finding a reason to buy another. In that case I'll take one with a composite stock. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

#26 ·
Just exzactly how much do i have to take apart? All i know how to take off is the stock, the barrrel, and thats it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.