Decoy Layout

Duck Hunting for puddlers like Mallards, Sprig (Pintails), Black ducks, Widgeons, Woodducks, Teal, and other ducks.

Moderators: Token, duckbuster06, The Cat Island Drake

Decoy Layout

Postby chevyZ71 » Tue Dec 13, 2005 7:03 pm

i was wondering the layout of your guys decoys spread. what im trying to ask is, how far out form your blind do you throw your decoys out? i usually throw mine out about 15 yards. does anybody think i should make any changes.
chevyZ71
hunter

Postby Citori12 » Wed Dec 14, 2005 12:51 pm

well I first of all set my decoys rather than throw them out. This time of year if the tops get wet they freeze and then you get decoy cycles. ducks do not particulary like duck cycles. The other reason I do this is because it gives me a chance to place my furthest decoys inside gunning range. It also helps me determine how far apart my decoys are placed. As far as how close I place them I place them closer to the blind on a river than I would a lake. I usually keep my decoys between 10 and 45 yards from where I shoot.
Citori12
Membership permanently suspended

Postby lars » Wed Dec 14, 2005 3:40 pm

45 yards- holy cow!

way too far for me. i usually place them no more than 10 yards, and sometimes the FARTHEST ones are 10 yards out.
if it is working for you, dont change your setup. no need.
experiment a little to find out what they prefer.
i tend to use very few decs and place them very strategically. :thumbsup:

it works for me.
went puddler hunting this year as usual.... shot more divers than puddle ducks. typical
lars
hunter

Postby hankrt » Wed Dec 14, 2005 5:23 pm

I'm with Citori, my concentrations are out about 40-45 yards with the pot holes for landing at about 20-25 yards and thats usually where they wind up belly up on the water....well, most of the time...lol
hankrt
hunter

Postby Ducksbeus » Wed Dec 14, 2005 5:27 pm

If it aint broke...dont fix it :yes: :yes: :yes:
"You get what you put in, and people get what they deserve" Hank Jr. and Kid Rock
Ducksbeus
hunter

Postby Riverjumper » Wed Dec 14, 2005 7:05 pm

first decoy I set out is my "range" decoy, I try to set this at 35-40yds,

I wont shoot birds if they are outside of that, then I just put up two groups with a hole in the middle with the spinners, works great! kinda looks like a "V"
Riverjumper
hunter

Postby DUKHTR » Thu Dec 15, 2005 8:09 am

the distance has to vary based on the location........some times I may be 30 yards upwind of the decoys set-up, sometimes right in front, sometimes a few out at 40 yards w/ the rest up close hugging the shoreline......the important issue is where you expect to shoot/where the ducks are going to land........that hole needs to be no more than 30 yards IMO
DUKHTR
Forum & State Moderator

Postby locked n landing » Fri Dec 16, 2005 4:48 pm

Most of the time we set out our decoys between 20 and 30 yards away from the blind. Later in the season we bring them in a little closer, or atleast a few of them. It is hard to judge distance in the early morning. We made "jerk strings" 25 yards long so that way we know every time how far we are from the blind.
Quite a few more birds showing up around here :getdown: , hope everyone has a great hunting weekend! :thumbsup:
locked n landing
hunter

Postby waterfowler82 » Fri Dec 16, 2005 10:55 pm

first decoy I set out is my "range" decoy, I try to set this at 35-40yds,

I wont shoot birds if they are outside of that

My set up is pretty similar. I don't hesitate to put birds out to 30 or 40 yards and even have 20 yards or so between small groups of ducks ( typically 2-4 birds). It'll vary by where you are hunting, but I've found that the ducks are much more responsive (where I hunt) to small spreads with the birds spaced much further than conventional methodologies would tell ya.

Good luck
waterfowler82
hunter

Deck yardage

Postby Sagebrush » Sat Dec 17, 2005 12:08 pm

All I know is out here in Nevada , my best shooting is with my main body out at 35 yards. Some 2 & 3's at 45yards , which are attractors that have "white" on them,sprig,widgeon etc. The main body with 10 birds max, and a lot of 2,3 & 4's all over for a natural look.

This system works for me.......Two weeks ago I had a flock of 89 ducks landing in my spread. The next flock had over 150 ducks !! Got pictures to prove it. One of my better days on the marsh. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Sagebrush
hunter

Postby hankrt » Sat Dec 17, 2005 12:13 pm

Post those pics, they would be great to see.
hankrt
hunter

Posting pictures

Postby Sagebrush » Tue Dec 20, 2005 7:12 pm

I have not figured out how to post yet....I can E-mail...just cant post.

Will let you all Know when I figure it out , for sure; some great pictures !
Sagebrush
hunter

Postby hankrt » Tue Dec 20, 2005 7:20 pm

Well if you figure it out, please let me know too, I have some pics to post but can't figure this silly system out.
hankrt
hunter

Postby Duck U 2 » Tue Jan 03, 2006 9:55 am

We always leave a flashlight on at the blind so we can tell where we'll be shooting from. It's a bummer when you do all that work, and then see that you either missed your mark, or put them out too far.
-just a 2 cent tip.
-Duck
Duck U 2
hunter

Spread ?

Postby Sagebrush » Fri Jan 06, 2006 7:25 pm

I hate to say it , but the day I got the tripple on the HONKERS, I was sitting inside 6 foot dead willows on a re-cycle crate with no decoys at all.

Right spot, right time....... Should of had $$ on "box cars !! :thumbsup:

Sage
Sagebrush
hunter

Postby casey_714 » Fri Jan 06, 2006 9:56 pm

Duck U 2..... we have to do that now, because a couple of times when it got light enough to see, our spread would be way off the the side and look awful.
casey_714
State Moderator

Postby BigBirds » Thu Jan 12, 2006 9:50 pm

here in southeast louisana I put out 5 greys(gadwall), 3 widgeon,pair of pintails, 4 gw teal, and 2 pairs of mallards, a tru motion flapper wapper, and 3 mallards 2 drakes and 1 hen on a jerk rig. I put the greys in the more open water spaced at least 5 to 6 ft apart no more then 35 yds out I put the widgeon in a pocket about 4 ft apart the pintails and teal get bunch a little tigher near a mud flat the mallards scattered along the marsh and if I have a little cut which is in favor of the wind I put the spinner in it so they only see it when they fly over. I put the jerk rig on the opposite side of the spinner . My spread mainly makes up two seperate groups with a landing zone in the middle I want my jerk rig the last three dekes closest to the landing zone my closest deke is about 10 yards a way . I also mix in about 6 feeding butts on both sides .... I find green head gear works best for me for the jerk rig. if I am feeling froggy I will place out 6 snow goose dekes and 4 speck dekes ( thats not often).I put my dog on the bank where I want the middle of my landing zone so when I shine my light at her I can see her eyes so I know where I am at . it works for me. it may help you . by the time the birds make it down here they have seen every spread possible so it makes it a little harder on us but we still kill with this spread. we have a cool front coming through tonight so maybe I will be able to kille a few tomorrow . good luck and good hunting to all.........
BigBirds
hunter

Postby BigBirds » Thu Jan 12, 2006 9:52 pm

here in southeast louisana I put out 5 greys(gadwall), 3 widgeon,pair of pintails, 4 gw teal, and 2 pairs of mallards, a tru motion flapper wapper, and 3 mallards 2 drakes and 1 hen on a jerk rig. I put the greys in the more open water spaced at least 5 to 6 ft apart no more then 35 yds out I put the widgeon in a pocket about 4 ft apart the pintails and teal get bunch a little tigher near a mud flat the mallards scattered along the marsh and if I have a little cut which is in favor of the wind I put the spinner in it so they only see it when they fly over. I put the jerk rig on the opposite side of the spinner . My spread mainly makes up two seperate groups with a landing zone in the middle I want my jerk rig the last three dekes closest to the landing zone my closest deke is about 10 yards a way . I also mix in about 6 feeding butts on both sides .... I find green head gear works best for me for the jerk rig. if I am feeling froggy I will place out 6 snow goose dekes and 4 speck dekes ( thats not often).I put my dog on the bank where I want the middle of my landing zone so when I shine my light at her I can see her eyes so I know where I am at . it works for me. it may help you . by the time the birds make it down here they have seen every spread possible so it makes it a little harder on us but we still kill with this spread. we have a cool front coming through tonight so maybe I will be able to kille a few tomorrow . good luck and good hunting to all.........
BigBirds
hunter

Postby Sagebrush » Sun Jan 15, 2006 9:01 pm

Bigbird; Do you stutter ?
Sagebrush
hunter

stutter ?

Postby Sagebrush » Tue Jan 17, 2006 10:42 pm

Huh ?
Sagebrush
hunter

Postby decoydog » Thu Jan 19, 2006 12:59 pm

This was the spread that 98 ramtough and I put out several weeks ago. Later in the season we use larger spreads.

And this was the result of that spread. :getdown:

It's hard to pull 1 inch through 6 inches of material while doing "the dance", and looking skyward.
decoydog
hunter

Postby smokinquacknc » Thu Jan 19, 2006 5:17 pm

just dont put them out too far i think that 30 yards should be a limit
smokinquacknc
hunter

Postby BigBirds » Fri Feb 03, 2006 12:45 pm

no I don't stutter. do you kill ducks?
BigBirds
hunter

Return to Puddler Duck Hunting