from flooded timber to fields need help

For those who enjoy duck hunting in the fields, this is the place.

Moderator: Skyblaster7

from flooded timber to fields need help

Postby duckblind109 » Sat Oct 16, 2010 6:50 pm

Started hunting rice fields in ne Arkansas, have a ton of questions. Will start off with water depth of field. It is a 80 acre, woods on one side's river on another. A slough on the back side, than a 500 acre rice field. I been told both 4 to 6 inch depth and deep as possible, 12 to 14 inches. Any input on this
duckblind109
hunter

Re: from flooded timber to fields need help

Postby duckinkrazy01 » Sun Oct 17, 2010 3:29 pm

Where are the questions :huh:
duckinkrazy01
hunter

Postby duckblind109 » Sun Oct 17, 2010 8:29 pm

What depth should my field be pumped to?
Decoy spread, I have, 9 dozen mallards, 1dozen pintails, 2 dozen black ducks, 1 dozen teal, 1 dozen shovelers, 4 canadian goose floaters. And a mojo Is this to many or not enough? Do I mix or keep separate? Do I need more goose decoys?
duckblind109
hunter

Postby Suncutter » Mon Oct 18, 2010 12:14 pm

Mix the decs up and pump it so its around 18in deep in the shallow spots keep the geese off to one side or the other you should be fine with the number of decs you have.
870 wrote::welcome: to the site NYducks55
Around here you'd get a warmer answer by asking to have sex with our daughters. :
Suncutter
hunter

Postby TNquacker » Sat Oct 23, 2010 11:46 pm

If you can control the input of water, I would go 6 inches for opener and then 12 to 18 inches after that. Also you'll need to get use to getting as much movement in your spread as you can especially when its dead calm, in the timber that was easy and inexpensive ( stir water up with foot...lol ). In the fields not so easy, as many eyes will be on you. You just cant move, you'll need to buy or fab something to give your spread some movement. As the season goes the more scrutiny your setup will get, be prepaired to change things up (...ie...more decoys, less decoys, big group, several small groups). At one time or another durring the season, we have as many as 10 dz decoys out or as few as 10 decoys. Hope some of that helps you out.
TNquacker
hunter

Return to Field Duck Hunting