Duck Hunting Forum banner

Layout Blinds In Rice and Beans??

4K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  aunt betty 
#1 ·
Hey guy, i got into a lease this year that has a couple thousand acres of rice and beans and very little corn. Looks like it will be good hunting but there is no pit blinds. Planning to flood the fields about 6" deep or so and hunt from layout blinds. Can anyone recommend certain layout blinds? I have never hunted from one and am not really sure if they can be in the water or what. Help me out guys.

#2 ·
I've hunted in rice fields using a friends layout but we never put it in the water. We put em on the levee or on the edge around the field where the water was just 1 or 2 inches deep. I have been told that some guys get 55 gallon plastic drums and cut them in half verticaly, then cut the top/bottom from one side of each pieces and fuse the two together somehow. Then they put a back board in one half and use those like open coffin blinds in deeper field waters, which kinda sounds cool, but i've never been forced to do this so I never investigated it any further.

#4 ·
Preciate the info. I looked into blinds a good bit lately and found some that are made to sit in the water up to 10" deep. Im going to eventually get one and just try it out and see where it goes. Hopefully hunting from the levee will work fine.

#5 ·
I've done it quite a bit. If you are going to use layout blinds, your best investment would be a neotub. If the water is too deep for that (in most cases you should be fine with the neotubs), we made little platforms for the layout blinds to sit on top of, kind of a pain, but it worked. Another option would be to just get layout boats.

#7 ·
I've sunk shipping pallets in shallow water to put my layout on. Works well and my layout just looks like a little island in the field.

#8 ·
You gotta be hard-core to layout in a flooded rice field. I mean how do you keep mud out? :yes: I guess you just be ONE with the mud. I don't have a layout blind and wish I had one but I don't think I could trust one to keep me dry like a boat. I like the layout boat idea because then you can use it for many other types of habitat like streams and small rivers etc. Guys out in Va. love em and use em like layout blinds too. Plus you could just pole it around instead of walking thru the mud. You know when it's like glue? Layout boat can go thru 4-6" of water easily. I've seen a guy with a kayak paddle and a layout (Carsten) boat MOVE. He looked like he was running on the water because I couldn't see his boat for the weeds. AWESOME!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.