Homemade motion duck decoy

Share tips and ask questions on all types of duck decoys. Including working, classics, collectable, and carving decoys.

Moderators: HENDU3270, Remman, DUKHTR, fowlhunter

Re: Homemade motion duck decoy

Postby Dukjunkie » Sat Jan 21, 2012 11:56 pm

Has anyone used this method with a feeder butt decoy?
Dukjunkie
hunter

Postby O2Fsh » Sun Jan 22, 2012 4:34 pm

Not too sure about the battery inside a feeder butt. Seems like it would throw off the balance or necessitate a large anchor suspended below the decoy.

Season ended here so I can go back to work making motion decoys for next season.

O2Fsh
O2Fsh
In a marsh somewhere, nowhere near your spot.
O2Fsh
hunter

Postby tenfingergrip » Mon Jan 23, 2012 8:27 am

O2Fish,
Get to work on the bilge-decoy. I would like to see that in action. Kinda like a Jet-decoy! You might be able to waterski behind it! You'll probably have to use a magnum deke to accomodate the weight of the 12v battery and bilge pump. I'm sure it'll ride low in the water. The bane of bilge pumps is trash, especially duck weed. I hunt the swamp with mine and I'm constantly having to unscrew the pump from the mount and clean it out, even after I installed a small mesh screen (lint filter mesh for dryer machines) over the intake of the bilge pump. The smallest pump (200-300 gpm) would probably work better than the the 500, assuming that you are going to make a swimming rather than a rocking decoy. A heavy duty anchor would also be necessary for either. You could actually do a dual-decoy by using male/female connectors between the battery and the pump to either engage the blinker switch for rocking or bypass it for the constant swimming action. The exhaust pipe for the water could either be straight for the swimming or an elbow for the rocking. Just a thought....
tenfingergrip
hunter

Postby Cujo1 » Mon Jan 23, 2012 11:06 am

tenfingergrip wrote:O2Fish,
Get to work on the bilge-decoy. I would like to see that in action. Kinda like a Jet-decoy! You might be able to waterski behind it! You'll probably have to use a magnum deke to accomodate the weight of the 12v battery and bilge pump. I'm sure it'll ride low in the water. The bane of bilge pumps is trash, especially duck weed. I hunt the swamp with mine and I'm constantly having to unscrew the pump from the mount and clean it out, even after I installed a small mesh screen (lint filter mesh for dryer machines) over the intake of the bilge pump. The smallest pump (200-300 gpm) would probably work better than the the 500, assuming that you are going to make a swimming rather than a rocking decoy. A heavy duty anchor would also be necessary for either. You could actually do a dual-decoy by using male/female connectors between the battery and the pump to either engage the blinker switch for rocking or bypass it for the constant swimming action. The exhaust pipe for the water could either be straight for the swimming or an elbow for the rocking. Just a thought....

This idea works fine. I used a goose floater to accomodate the weight of a rechargeable 12 volt battery. A super mag duck just didn't support everything good enough. I built a screen for the whole bilge pump to keep trash out. I also wired in a heavy duty truck flasher on the ground side to allow for pulse. I used a three way toggle switch to allow for pulse or continuous operation. I also have an elbow that goes in the pump if I just want it to rock. I mainly use it to keep thin ice open after breaking open a hole and cleaning it out. Use a long string with anchor and swivels to keep it from tangling and it will just swim around in circles. On pulse it goes slow on steady it moves pretty good. If I am in corn or brush I just put in my elbow and leave it on pulse so it doesn't tangle around everything. You will have to play with position of the battery in the decoy to make it float properly and the stick the battery down so it doesn't slide around. I just use double stick foam tape so I can access the battery easy for charging etc.
All turkeys must die!

bighop wrote:Destined to be a child of the system now. Bounced around from house to house, abused, mistreated, earning his way on the streets. There's probably an expensive crack habit and a pair of those hind-leg wheels in his near futre.
Cujo1
hunter

Postby tenfingergrip » Mon Jan 23, 2012 12:28 pm

Good ideas, Cujo! You might want to try industrial Velcro for your battery attachment to the bottom. That way you can position the battery at the optimum balance point in the deke. I use that stuff for everything. I'm a velcro, pvc, & shock cord addict!

Did you use the 500 gph in the goose?
tenfingergrip
hunter

Postby Cujo1 » Mon Jan 23, 2012 2:54 pm

I used a 500 only because that is what I could find around here when I was playing with this 15 years ago. If a smaller pump was only available and you wanted more action just swedge the outlet down with pcv fittings to increase velocity and it will move a little faster. The hardest part is as you guessed securing the battery(inside of decoy is really slick) and transporting without breaking off the bilge pump. I might scuff up the inside and try some super velcro in the future. I made one with a washer pump motor from a car once and it worked good, but too noisey and I couldn't get it quiet enough. I even used foam, old socks etc. packed around it. Oh Well, can't win em all.
All turkeys must die!

bighop wrote:Destined to be a child of the system now. Bounced around from house to house, abused, mistreated, earning his way on the streets. There's probably an expensive crack habit and a pair of those hind-leg wheels in his near futre.
Cujo1
hunter

Postby MikeDubM887 » Fri Jan 27, 2012 9:29 pm

Dukjunkie wrote:Has anyone used this method with a feeder butt decoy?

I am using 3 in featherlight butt up dekes rigged wih a regular weight then not pictured I hung a weight as close to the bottom on the deke as I could to keep it up right, not as much movement as I was hoping but ever bit helps. In the balls I got there was 3 small holes that i glued up and I also put the balls in zip lock bags to cut down on the corrosion. Is there a way to uplaod a movie clip? I videoed the movement if yall would like to see.
Attachments
mike.jpg
"there's a fine line between slaying ducks, and standing in the water tootin your call like an idiot, I'm tryin to figure out which were doin here."
MikeDubM887
hunter

Postby snapshotmd » Sat Jan 28, 2012 7:52 am

I saw a video of someone who rigged an oversized butt (GHG or G&H or something like that) with weasel ball and tested it in his kitchen sink. Can't remember where I saw it, and can't find the video.
2014-15
3 Canada Geese
snapshotmd
hunter

Postby MikeDubM887 » Sat Jan 28, 2012 5:53 pm

I tested mine in a 5 gallon bucket looked great but didn't think of the fact that a larger body of water takes more energy to move needless to say it moves looks good but does not move enough to put movement onto other dekes
"there's a fine line between slaying ducks, and standing in the water tootin your call like an idiot, I'm tryin to figure out which were doin here."
MikeDubM887
hunter

Postby artsmag10 » Fri Mar 23, 2012 3:57 pm

Have not read all of the posts but, instead of using foam or a tube sock or mounting the ball to the duck,
I used plastic packing "bubble" material.

Easier to remove, lightweight and cuts to fit.

Free, too.
artsmag10
hunter

Postby NC Wood Duck Hunter » Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:17 pm

Nice decoy, very good idea, I might have to try this
BOOM BOOM BOOM!
NC Wood Duck Hunter
hunter

Postby tywhite87 » Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:08 pm

Ok guys, I've been a lurker around here for quite a while, figured this was a good time to start posting. I just made up a couple of these with some older GHG Great Buy Mallards and figured I show them off.

First off, I got the weasel balls from here: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 1107753459 The seller will combine shipping. 5 of them shipped cost me $19.

Now after weighing my options on how to mount this I opted for attaching the ball to the underside of the flap I cut in the decoy with a screw, straight through the back of the deke into the side of the ball with the motor attached assuming that the higher I make the center of gravity the more motion. I cut the hole in the back just large enough for the ball to fit in but made the cuts go all the way to the neck of the decoy so the flap lifts easily for turning on/off, changing batteries, etc... When you cut the flap the decoy deforms just a little bit so you can push the flap down inside the body and it stays closed, when you want to open it just push down on the tail a little and the flap pops right open.

I put the screw right through the the mark on the ball left from being molded which brings the screw through right next to the attachment point of the motor. I also painted over the head of the screw with black and gave it a coat of the same krylon flat clear I use on the decoys to protect paint.

I only posted pictures of the hen but I did both a hen and a drake (with the great buy mallards the two are differently shaped and move a bit different). Here is a video of the first test run in the bath tub:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SCKgApe5 ... ontext-chv
tywhite87
hunter

Postby tywhite87 » Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:14 pm

Like I said I bought 5 of the weasel balls. I've made these two dekes and plan on making one with a GHG Woodie, a butt up feeder. and the fifth one I turned into a predator decoy.

Here is the predator decoy if you're interested (gotta do something in the off season right?)

Just used the half of the ball with the motor. Drilled a second hole and attached the weasel from one of the other balls. Used a bent up coat hanger through/around the motor as a stand and painted the ball flat black.

Here's a vid:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sbvH8WwwIXE&feature=plcp
tywhite87
hunter

Postby JuniorPre 360 » Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:39 am

Thank you for posting your pics and videos. It looks like the screw idea has more motion than the sock idea I used. It looks like you scored big with your new ideas and invention!
A BAD DAY AT THE MARSH BEATS A GOOD DAY AT WORK.
killwoodies101 wrote:your a dudshe bag! You dont own the river your dont own any property around it.. Its just as mush mine and any other tom **** and harry's as it is yours !! get a life share what is yours or stop hunting
JuniorPre 360
hunter

Postby tywhite87 » Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:53 pm

I also wanted to add that I did the cutting with nothing but my pocket knife (which I keep extremely sharp) and at least with the plastic they make the Hot Buy Mallards it cuts pretty easy and it leaves a very small gap because you don't actually remove material. This is good because if you screw up like I did (first attempt I cut to low on the sides and it took on water when it started rocking) you can use a wood burner / solder gun to melt the cut back together and not have to throw out what is an otherwise perfectly good decoy.
tywhite87
hunter

Postby tenfingergrip » Fri Jul 20, 2012 5:58 am

Nice first posts, tywhite87! Believe you're a keeper. Really like your take on best way to mount the weasel up high in the deke.
tenfingergrip
hunter

Postby ducksnbucks88 » Thu Jul 26, 2012 9:21 pm

I saw where someone asked if anyone had used multiple weasles in one decoy, but no reply. If anyoneone has,will more than one fit? Also, those little "quiver magnets", i know they don't do a whole lot directly onto the water, but i've noticed when just laying them on the floor they move way more. What if you put one or even two of those in a decoy. just some of those off season brainstorms all us duck hunters get :smile:
ducksnbucks88
hunter

Postby goosewhisperer » Fri Jul 27, 2012 9:31 pm

tenfingergrip wrote:Nice first posts, tywhite87! Believe you're a keeper. Really like your take on best way to mount the weasel up high in the deke.

Agree 100%!!! Done and Done!! Thanks for the how-to. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :beer:
Molt Gear Society Staff
Anatidae Wingshooting Adventures, LLC Pro-Staff
goosewhisperer
hunter

Postby STEVE IN SOCAL » Wed Aug 01, 2012 10:28 pm

Ok...I whipped one out this evening.
GHG butt up feeder. Cut out with an exacto knife, used a small hinge and hook/screw closure on each side. Attached ball to the flap.
Makes ripples the whole length of my pool. Sorry no video...don't know how to get it off my cell phone to here.

Next one will be a headless feeder.
STEVE IN SOCAL
hunter

Postby STEVE IN SOCAL » Wed Aug 01, 2012 10:32 pm

I'm going to flip the ball 180 tomorrow and see if there's a difference.

Thanks for all the ideas. I invent things for a living, and wouldn't have thought of doing this on my own. DHC rocks...
STEVE IN SOCAL
hunter

Postby tywhite87 » Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:56 pm

Looks great Steve. I have yet to make the wood duck and butt up feeder that I want to (maybe this weekend... seeing as some materials for another project I'm working on will be delayed in shipping... :sad: )
tywhite87
hunter

Postby STEVE IN SOCAL » Thu Aug 02, 2012 12:11 am

I'm thinking of attaching the ball off center as well. This may REALLY give it some wobble.
That was super easy using an exacto knife. I was able to follow the contour/paint scheme, making it even cleaner looking.
STEVE IN SOCAL
hunter

Postby STEVE IN SOCAL » Thu Aug 02, 2012 8:18 pm

Made a headless feeder today. Attached the ball through the hole that was there for the furry tail. I really think this makes a difference. Now the mechanism is at an angle, and isn't just spinning in a circle.
Also, the headless mkes more ripples, probably due to the fact that it has more surface area in contact with the water. I also placed the ball forward, to make it look like it was digging downward.
The pool pic is in 4' of water, I think in 1' of water it would be more effective.As it was my entire pool had ripples/movement.

STEVE IN SOCAL
hunter

Postby STEVE IN SOCAL » Thu Aug 02, 2012 8:21 pm

BTW, the pool was like glass when I put them in.

If I had it to do over, I'd just do the headless. I may mess around with the butt up some more, but I think it's a challenge with the small footprint.
STEVE IN SOCAL
hunter

Postby WesB » Sat Aug 04, 2012 9:19 am

Nice post! The headless feeder looks great, gonna have to make a couple myself.
WesB
hunter

PreviousNext

Return to Duck Decoy Forum