Homemade motion duck decoy

Share tips and ask questions on all types of duck decoys. Including working, classics, collectable, and carving decoys.

Moderators: HENDU3270, Remman, DUKHTR, fowlhunter

Re: Homemade motion duck decoy

Postby MAX4Utah » Tue Oct 26, 2010 12:35 am

harryhyde wrote:I am definitely going to try this when I can find the best deal on weaselballs without paying outrageous shipping!

How about not using the spray foam at all, just wrapping the weaselball in a piece of sleeping pad foam and let it roll around some? The foam would keep it from making noise.

Putting it inside a small Nerf football or basketball might be the ticket too. Just slice it partway open and rip out enough foam for the weaselball. Then drop the whole thing in the deke.

Try it and let us know. Im going to make one of these soon too and your idea sounds interesting. Keep us posted...
MAX4Utah
hunter

Postby agengo02 » Tue Oct 26, 2010 6:46 am

All great ideas that would probably work. Try em out and post up the results.
agengo02
hunter

Postby brktrt-18 » Wed Oct 27, 2010 7:39 am

Not sure about the nerf ball. The problem I ran into was finding an old decoy deep enough to hold the weasel ball (not cutting up my good oversize decs). Right now I might only have a half inch of foam between the keel top and the weasel ball and the ball touches the back flap. I will try the spray foam in the front and back, let set, then fill the rest in on the next one. If it gets to complicated or expensive the Edge quiver duck for $35 will look better and better, to bad that decoy looks so crappy.
brktrt-18
hunter

Postby Duck Daddy » Tue Dec 07, 2010 8:35 pm

I made one of these for a weasle ball (bought at cracker barrel) a few days ago. The foam didn,t expand for whatever reason so I decided to use an old tiolet float ball a #ps2022. It,s oblong. I cut the end off and hot glued the rest inside the decoy. Used a piece of thin rubber and hot glued it on the cut out decoy back piece for a hinge. It works great in the pool. I,ll try it out for real this saturday as soon as the split is over.
Duck Daddy
Newb

Postby Ichabod97 » Wed Dec 08, 2010 7:54 am

i ended up making 2 of these. One thing i changed was instead of cutting the square completely out, i only cut 3 sides and allowed the piece to bend up to slide the weasel ball in. To keep that piece secured down i used some velcro. works out good.

the 2 deeks ended up working very well out on the water. thanks again for the idea...saved some money and i think i'm going to make a few more.
Nick "Ichabod"
Waterfowl Mafia

Modified Scissor Blind ppt
Ichabod97
State Moderator

Postby harryhyde » Fri Dec 10, 2010 4:12 pm

I found the old post by orphanedcowboy that explained a real simple way to do it, when you cut out the back flap , just attach the non-motorized half of the weaselball to the flap with a #12 screw. There will be a little dent on the ball half, as it were at the "North Pole". Drill a little pilot hole and the material below is just the right size the take a #12 x 1/2" (max) sheet metal screw. I used some glue too.
Then turn on the motorized half, put it on the non motorized half, close the flap and launch the deke.
I made some little tabs to keep the flap level with the back of the deke and a tab to keep it closed.
I did not get to test these in the field as the ice is a foot thick here by now.
harryhyde
hunter

Postby Bigroo » Sun Dec 12, 2010 7:31 pm

There is a Cracker Barrel and a Lowes within three miles of my house I will be there tomorrow. Thanks for a great idea. :biggrin:
Bigroo
hunter

Postby Lead Shot Only » Tue Dec 14, 2010 7:41 pm

weasel balls are cheap on ebay, $8
1 grebe
1 cormorant
1 sea gull assist
Lead Shot Only
hunter

Postby Ichabod97 » Wed Dec 15, 2010 6:17 pm

Lead Shot Only wrote:weasel balls are cheap on ebay, $8

$7 at Cracker Barrel and you don't have to pay shipping considering you can find one by driving down any major highway.
Nick "Ichabod"
Waterfowl Mafia

Ichabod97
State Moderator

Postby theemazing » Mon Jan 03, 2011 1:17 pm

:bow:
theemazing
hunter

Postby carolinagreenhead » Wed Jan 19, 2011 6:34 pm

Anybody that tried this have any luck with it pulling ducks?
carolinagreenhead
hunter

Postby agengo02 » Wed Jan 19, 2011 6:49 pm

I have used 2 of them in my spread all season. Now I can't say for sure what exactly they made ducks do, but I put them near my teal and they made good motion and we have had good luck decoying birds.
agengo02
hunter

Postby TheHorseMallard » Sat Feb 12, 2011 6:35 pm

does anybody know if a bigger hole in the foam that allows the weasel ball to roll around inside the decoy a little bit more will make more motion on the water or a tighter fit will make more ripples and motion in the spread.
I'm down here in Arkansas, yes we have cable, electricity, indoor plumbing, shoes, and no we don't always marry our cousins, however a third cousin is not frowned upon cuz its a gray area :yes: :lol3:
TheHorseMallard
hunter

Postby harryhyde » Mon Feb 14, 2011 5:04 pm

HorseMallard you don't really need the foam at all. It's just a sticky mess. Just attach the weaselball the the back flap as described in my earlier post. Once again credit to orphanedcowboy for the clever simplified procedure.
harryhyde
hunter

Postby TheHorseMallard » Mon Feb 14, 2011 6:32 pm

that sounds easier really but I think the foam filled decoy would be more durable, at least for me anyway. I want to be able to turn it on and throw the decoy out without worrying about it landing right side up so it doesn't fill up with water. I'm afraid that someone using my stuff (without permission of course! :mad: ) will just chunk it out there and if it isn't filled with foam I'm afraid they will sink it (and of course never offer to replace it! :mad: )

I think I'll fill it with foam and cut a dent in it to allow for room to attach it to the back flap like you said. That way I'll get better motion, it's more durable, and easier to maintain. Thanks for the help guys.
I'm down here in Arkansas, yes we have cable, electricity, indoor plumbing, shoes, and no we don't always marry our cousins, however a third cousin is not frowned upon cuz its a gray area :yes: :lol3:
TheHorseMallard
hunter

Postby norcalduckaholic » Wed Feb 16, 2011 5:23 pm

agengo02 wrote:Cheap and easy f you got a cracker barrel and a lowes near you. I have also seen some others just cut three sides of the back of the decoy creating a flap to keep the piece connected.

Lowes carries the weasel ball?
norcalduckaholic
hunter

Postby Ichabod97 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 6:41 pm

no, you can find the weasel ball on ebay, but Cracker Barrel is where i find them all the time. $7.
Nick "Ichabod"
Waterfowl Mafia

Ichabod97
State Moderator

Postby Pond_Hopper » Sat Feb 26, 2011 3:19 pm

do you know if KB toys or toys r us carries these? I want to try this out and see how they do, but id rather not order online yet.
Pond_Hopper
hunter

Postby bpgast » Tue Mar 08, 2011 6:39 pm

That is a great idea!! Has anyone tried it on a butt up feeding decoy? Didn't know if it would be stable enough to stay upright and give out as much motion.
Thanks for the great idea.
bpgast
hunter

Postby Ichabod97 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 6:56 pm

thought about it, but have not gotten around to it. i have made 4 of these now and still have 2 more to make. the first two i did in magnum mallards and used the foam. the last two i did i hard mounted half of the weasel ball to the bottom of the decoy with a screw & nut and a little rtv...i did that in 2 GHG coot deeks. they work excellent!!
Nick "Ichabod"
Waterfowl Mafia

Ichabod97
State Moderator

Postby bpgast » Wed Mar 09, 2011 2:36 pm

Ichabod97,
Did you notice a difference between the foam in the mags, and the hard mounted decoys as far as ripples.
Thanks.
bpgast
hunter

Postby Ichabod97 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 3:35 pm

yes i did...the hard mounted decoys move more than the foam filled ones.
Nick "Ichabod"
Waterfowl Mafia

Ichabod97
State Moderator

Postby TheHorseMallard » Sun Mar 27, 2011 7:44 pm

ok guys i fiddled with these things off and on for two weeks and i think i found the easiest way to do it. I tried foam, tight fitting foam, loose fitting foam, weasel ball in the front, weasel ball in the back. different positions of weasel ball so it rotated differently, i tried everything!

here is what i found works the best

with a magnum sized decoy, big enough for the weasel ball to roll around in...

1. cut out three sides of the top flap, leave one attached and just bend it back to get the weasel ball in and out, easier that hinges, and conceals better than Velcro

A. drill a pilot hole with a drill and then use a box cutter to do the cutting, a drimmel tool leaves too big of a line and
is harder to conceal, the razor blade leaves a very thin line that's easy to hide

2. put your weasel ball inside a tube sock and double it over so there is a good amount of fabric to insulate noise and provide traction for the weasel ball rather that plastic just spinning on plastic, like a dog slipping on wooden floors when it tries to run

3. stuff the dang thing in the decoy and let 'er go

this is totally random motion and it works the best out of everything i've tried
no messy foam, no Velcro, no hinges,

simple, cheap, easy motion in the spread Enjoy Gents :beer:
TheHorseMallard
hunter

Postby tenfingergrip » Sun Mar 27, 2011 8:51 pm

Thanks, HM, for the research work. Now I'm ready to have breakfast at Crackerbarrel in the morning. Hope they have the Weazels. I'll have two weazel mallards ready by tomorrow afternoon!
tenfingergrip
hunter

Postby JuniorPre 360 » Sun Jun 19, 2011 12:44 pm

this idea is sweet
A BAD DAY AT THE MARSH BEATS A GOOD DAY AT WORK.
killwoodies101 wrote:your a dudshe bag! You dont own the river your dont own any property around it.. Its just as mush mine and any other tom **** and harry's as it is yours !! get a life share what is yours or stop hunting
JuniorPre 360
hunter

PreviousNext

Return to Duck Decoy Forum