Hearing protection help

Discuss Michigan hunting and share your duck hunting secrets here. From lay out boat hunting on the great lakes to the stubble fields.

Moderators: waterfowlhunter, quackerkiller

Hearing protection help

Postby Theo713 » Thu Oct 21, 2010 8:36 pm

Anyone use a good hearing protection device?

I want something small if possible.
Theo713
hunter

Re: Hearing protection help

Postby g_maxson » Fri Oct 22, 2010 7:18 am

Electronic or not?

I have custom molded ear plugs I use for skeet shooting that I bring when hunting a boat blind. Very comfortable and you can still hear enough that you don't feel like you are in an isolation chamber. Quite a few audiologists make them. For extra $$$ some will insert an electronic supression device into the mold. Non-electronic ran around $70 when I had some made years ago.
g_maxson
hunter

Re: Hearing protection help

Postby waterfowlhunter » Sun Oct 24, 2010 5:16 pm

For hunting or target shooting?

For hunting I use electronic so you can hear the people and game around me. For target The disposable foam work great, cheap and if you loose them, you do not cry. I like the electronic versions that when you buy them you only get a mold kit, You make a mold of your ears and send it to the manufacturer. they take the molds and make your custom fitted plugs that work great. I also have a set of electronic muffs but I can not shoot long guns with them, Only handguns. they get in the way of a good cheek weld to the stock.
"A free people ought to be armed" George Washington 1790

‘For those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.’ —Ben Franklin.”
waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Return to Michigan Duck Hunting