Help needed to get out there this year...

A place for women who love the outdoors to meet and discuss things important from her prespective.

Moderators: Outdoor Gal, NorCal Cazadora, LadyK

Help needed to get out there this year...

Postby GunDogGal » Mon Oct 25, 2010 12:43 pm

:hi: I'm hoping I can find someone out there in VA (I'm in the Culpeper/Warrenton area) that would be open to a new Duck hunting "buddy"! I have been searching for months to find a fellow female duck hunter; I haven't exactly been "accepted with open arms" by the male duck hunters I know.

I have a 3 year old yellow Lab who is a finished gun dog and has titled in AKC, HRC, and NAHRA hunt tests. He is a true working dog and lives to perform. He is part of the package and I offer him and his skills, to make up for all that I still have to learn.

Without getting into the painful details, I’m no longer able to go duck hunting with the person that was my duck hunting coach and mentor... and now that I’ve been introduced to “real” duck hunting (outside of the hunt tests I run my dog in) I have realized that I can’t let myself give up something I love so much because I am forced to do it on my own this year. I am no stranger to guns and hunting, but never had the pleasure of hunting waterfowl until last year. Now I am addicted – there is no other time that I feel more like myself, and more at peace, than when I am out there with my dog witnessing the pure ecstasy he gets from retrieving a duck for his master.

So now, in addition to my trained gun dog and all his ribbons, I have my first shotgun (I was purely a rifle and handgun gal before now), my hunting clothing, and gear, and am desperately searching for someone interested in taking on an eager, and devoted, protégé. I think I just need help getting out there so that I can gain some confidence and shake the fear of doing it on my own.

Sincerely,
GunDogGal

PS - Not to mention that I really need someone who is a better shot than I am!!  I couldn’t bear the disappointment I would see in my dog’s eyes if I went alone and my “newness” kept me from being able to provide him with a single duck to retrieve!
GunDogGal
Newb

Re: Help needed to get out there this year...

Postby Quackity Gal » Mon Oct 25, 2010 4:17 pm

Hey GDGal!
:welcome:

While I'm in California, and can't help you on your request for a new partner in Virginia, maybe my advice can help? I've always wanted to go duck hunting, but never received a lot of support from the hunters and non-hunters in my life (the big response was always "Why would you want to do that?" in a tone that implied I was crazy. I finally said screw it, and just dove head in by myself.

Have you posted in the Virginia state forum? I found some great guys and now hunting friends via our state forum at the beginning of the off-season this year. Not only do I have hunts scheduled with them for the season, but they've been a great source of information and support! Plus, with the start of the season, I'm meeting more people offline from DHC by chance when out at the public refuges here in Cali. Starting here in the Women's forum is great, but it doesn't hurt to do a cross-post over there.

Also, I highly suggest getting involved with some of the local waterfowl associations in your area - Ducks Unlimited, the equivalent of California Waterfowl Association (I'm assuming there's a Virginia WA, yes?) and Becoming an Outsdoor Woman (BOW). I've been lucky enough to find experienced hunters in my area that are volunteering to help me learn the ropes. Hopefully, as the season goes on you'll make a lot of connections.

Best of luck to you this season! If you have any questions, feel free to ask here or you can always PM (private message) me!

Cheers,
Quackity
"The ability to quote is a serviceable substitute for wit." - W. Somerset Maugham
Quackity Gal
hunter

Postby NorCal Cazadora » Thu Oct 28, 2010 1:15 am

GDG, Quackity's right! Don't give up on men as mentors and hunting buddies. Check your state forum here on the DHC. I used to live in Virginia (Richmond, wasn't hunting back then), and I can't imagine you wouldn't find the kind of friendly people there that we have here in Cali.

-Holly
Holly Heyser
Editor, California Waterfowl Magazine
NorCal Cazadora
Forum Moderator

Postby wooly bugger » Sun Oct 31, 2010 8:38 pm

Hey - I am a female duck hunter in Pennsylvania but hunt ducks every weekend in MD and would love to have a woman join me at the club i hunt at where I am the only woman. I am actually replying to your post via my husband's login name and hate communicating via these chats for the world to see. please email me at my email address chorneman@verizon.net so we can talk further about this.

Talk to you soon,

Cary Goodyear Horneman
wooly bugger
hunter

Postby NorCal Cazadora » Sun Oct 31, 2010 9:11 pm

Cary, I'm glad you replied publicly, because it gives the rest of us a chance to say YOU ROCK! :thumbsup:

-Holly
Holly Heyser
Editor, California Waterfowl Magazine
NorCal Cazadora
Forum Moderator

Return to Outdoors Women Forum